Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NRA Classification

+5
Larry Lang
Schaumannk
Rob Kovach
dan allen
Bullseye10X
9 posters

Go down

NRA Classification Empty NRA Classification

Post by Bullseye10X 11/24/2013, 9:01 pm

My Bullseye pistol league doesn't keep records for NRA classification.  How can I go about getting a classification?  Is there a way to do it by yourself, ie: honor system/mail-in the targets?  Or do I have to shoot at an NRA sanctioned event?  Thanks!

Bullseye10X

http://bullseyepistol.com/

Back to top Go down

NRA Classification Empty Re: NRA Classification

Post by dan allen 11/24/2013, 9:13 pm

None of the leagues I shoot in send the scores for classification. I don't think there is any way to do it yourself.

dan allen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 11/25/2013, 12:41 am

There are NRA sanctioned leagues that can count toward classification, but there isn't any way that I know of for doing it without competing in NRA matches.
There are NRA "postal matches" where you mail in your scores.  There is a "new shooter" category for unclassified shooters, but it doesn't say whether or not the postal scores count toward classification or not.
Click on Center Fire Pistol or Conventional pistol programs on this webpage:
http://compete.nra.org/nra-postal-matches.aspx
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye10X 11/25/2013, 4:44 am

dan allen wrote:None of the leagues I shoot in send the scores for classification. I don't think there is any way to do it yourself.
So, is your classification from an earlier time?

Bullseye10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye10X 11/25/2013, 4:46 am

Rob Kovach wrote:There are NRA sanctioned leagues that can count toward classification, but there isn't any way that I know of for doing it without competing in NRA matches.
There are NRA "postal matches" where you mail in your scores.  There is a "new shooter" category for unclassified shooters, but it doesn't say whether or not the postal scores count toward classification or not.
Click on Center Fire Pistol or Conventional pistol programs on this webpage:
http://compete.nra.org/nra-postal-matches.aspx
Thanks for the link to the info Rob, I appreciate your help.  I think I may have to call them to see if in fact a classification can be earned via the Postal Matches.

Bullseye10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk 11/25/2013, 6:25 am

If you aren't planning on shooting NRA sanctioned events, what is the point of having a classification? 

Kind of like worrying about your handicap when you don't play any golf tournaments.   :-)

Word of advice, there are many people who have gotten a high classification from shooting an NRA league which was 22 only,and then  regretted  it when they found out what it did to them in their first few 2700's.    Some people do well with the 45 right off the bat, but most don't.   Shooting at the bottom of the expert class because you tank with the 45 is much more discouraging than shooting your first few matches as Unclassified.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 11/25/2013, 8:37 am

Some people just want their Marksman card so they don't have to shoot Unclassified with the Masters.

Some leagues are CF only and others shoot a 22, cf, .45 900.  Some people just shoot leagues, and they want to get classified.  That's OK too.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Lang 11/25/2013, 10:26 am

Schaumannk wrote:<snip> Kind of like worrying about your handicap when you don't play any golf tournaments.
NRA Classification 1710857839
Larry Lang
Larry Lang

Back to top Go down

Post by dan allen 11/25/2013, 4:45 pm

Bullseye10X wrote:
dan allen wrote:None of the leagues I shoot in send the scores for classification. I don't think there is any way to do it yourself.
So, is your classification from an earlier time?
My classifications are from shooting in registered matches - not from any leagues.

dan allen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye10X 11/28/2013, 9:23 am

Never said I don't plan on shooting NRA sanctioned events, just that my local club, where I shoot presently, doesn't offer classification.  I plan on taking this hobby to the next level once I feel more confident and my skill sets develop.

I want the classification because I want a record of my achievements.  It's a personal pride thing.

Bullseye10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 11/28/2013, 10:45 am

Steve,
We GOTTA get you out to some official matches.  As long as you can keep your work on your own paper, it's going to be great!  You will never look back, and it will bring your enjoyment of the sport to a whole new level!
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rvlvrlvr 11/28/2013, 12:05 pm

Steve-

A little over an hour away from you to the west is the York Adams Fish & Game club in Abbottstown, PA -- it's where I shoot the NRA Open indoor Conventional Pistol Sectional match in the Spring. A bit over an hour's drive to the northwest is the Harrisburg Hunters & Anglers club; they hold indoor and outdoor Bullseye matches. Looks like the Palmyra Sportsmens Assn. in Palmyra is a similar distance and offers similar matches.

There ought to be plenty of opportunity to shoot and earn a classification in your area.

-Kent
rvlvrlvr
rvlvrlvr

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye10X 11/28/2013, 9:55 pm

Thanks fellas.  After the Holidays, I will definitely look into those places.  I didn't realize they offered NRA matches.

I appreciate your encouragement!

Bullseye10X

Back to top Go down

Post by ssds14534 12/1/2013, 11:45 am

I would like to get Classified. Anyone know if that's available in the Tampa area ?

I have a Range Officer and a Glock 34(don't hold it against me). I have some 22's but no target pistols. 

My wife says I'm Certifiable but I don't think she talking about shooting.

Thanks,
Skip

PS. Did anyone have hard time taking those beautiful 1911's and putting a scope mount on ?

ssds14534

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye10X 12/1/2013, 6:59 pm

Hi Skip!  That G34, what kind of accuracy do you see out of it at 25 yds and up?  Was wondering how they would do in the centerfire portion of a Bullseye shoot, that is, if they are legal for it.

Bullseye10X

Back to top Go down

Post by rvlvrlvr 12/1/2013, 7:13 pm

A Glock 34 would certainly be legal for centerfire Bullseye:

* nominal caliber .32 or greater? check
* trigger pull 2.5lbs or greater? check
* sight radius from the apex of the front sight to the apex of the rear sight not more than 10"? check
* barrel length not more than 10"? check

Suitable? Perhaps.

It's always a good idea to know the rules.
rvlvrlvr
rvlvrlvr

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 12/1/2013, 10:11 pm

There are 2 clubs holding matches in the Tampa area.
1. Wyoming Antelope Club located near the St Pete-Clearwater Airport.
2. Hernando Sportsmans Club 9 mi N of Weeki Wachi just off 19. They hold a 2700 every 4th Sun monthly.

My e-mail is Rnhbgr711 at Verizon.net

Ron

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by ssds14534 12/2/2013, 10:10 am

Colt711 wrote:There are 2 clubs holding matches in the Tampa area.
1. Wyoming Antelope Club located near the St Pete-Clearwater Airport.
2. Hernando Sportsmans Club 9 mi N of Weeki Wachi just off 19. They hold a 2700 every 4th Sun monthly.

My e-mail is Rnhbgr711 at Verizon.net

Ron
Thanks Ron. I'm only a few miles Wyoming in Pinellas Park. I'll have to go check out  a match. I found their website and calendar.

ssds14534

Back to top Go down

Post by ssds14534 12/2/2013, 10:20 am

Bullseye10X wrote:Hi Skip!  That G34, what kind of accuracy do you see out of it at 25 yds and up?  Was wondering how they would do in the centerfire portion of a Bullseye shoot, that is, if they are legal for it.
I shoot at a 20 yard indoor range. At 20 yards a 3-4 inch group, standing, off hand, 2 hand grip, target iron sights, target ammo. I have a couple thousand rounds through the G34. After a couple hundred rounds I'm starting to do better with the Range Officer. If the new Range Officer 9MM shoots like the 45 I'll be selling the G34.

ssds14534

Back to top Go down

Post by SSgtG 12/3/2013, 11:22 am

I'm not sure why any shooting league wouldn't apply for NRA sanctioning. It is cheap, easy and provides you with the NRA backing. Our winter indoor league both smallbore and Pistol are NRA sanctioned. Everyone get a classification after the required number of rounds are fired and reported. We are the only shoulder to shoulder traveling league left in Iowa according to Dennis Willing.

SSgtG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down