Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

45 ACP lighter loads feel wild /w higher muzzle flip

+12
funski
243winxb
spursnguns
Centerline
james r chapman
Cmysix
SingleActionAndrew
PhotoEscape
BE Mike
chiz1180
DA/SA
MkFiji
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

45 ACP lighter loads feel wild /w higher muzzle flip - Page 2 Empty 45 ACP lighter loads feel wild /w higher muzzle flip

Post by MkFiji Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:09 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi guys,

My lower powder reloads feel really wild sometimes and I was reading about choosing the right spring on cajungunworks(https://cajungunworks.com/how-to-select-the-proper-recoil-spring/) and I'm wondering, is my spring too light?

Perhaps it's a different gun so it shoots differently but I can't think of why my lighter loads would occasionally have a really high muzzle rise.  It really surprises me and throws me off during rapid!

Accuracy is fine, but the variation really gets me.  I don't have this issue with my long line load of 4.7gr BE(which shoots like Atlanta Arms Elite and has a 800fps)

SA Target Loaded 1911 /w Kart XACT fit barrel

• 45ACP
• Starline Brass new and once fired
• Zero 185JHP
• OAL 1.995-1.205 
• Crimp 0.469-0.470 measured at end of brass
• Charge 4.3gr BE

• 729FPS average after 35 rounds
    • ES 78
    • STD DEV 29.8

• Extraction varies, it'll shoot 6 o'clock to 3 o'clock with it ejecting far(5-8' or into my jacket's hoodie) and close(like a cute small hop out of the ejector!)

• Iron sights

When reloading I spot check quite a bit and charge varies 0.06gr from 4.3gr
Reloading runs smooth

Thoughts?

Last edited by MkFiji on Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:24 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added crimp)

MkFiji

Back to top Go down

45 ACP lighter loads feel wild /w higher muzzle flip - Page 2 Empty Re: 45 ACP lighter loads feel wild /w higher muzzle flip

Post by jglenn21 Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:18 pm

let me highly suggest that you go an purchase the DAA powder check for your 750. it's an excellent unit and highly adjustable.. a squib is a round with no powder or very little, where the primer goes off but the bullet doesn't clear the barrel.  if you had a primer hit and it didn't go off then most likely you had a high primer( something I suffered with for a long time on my 750 until I modified a few items to let it seat primers deeper.. for whatever reason Dillon designed the 750 to seat primers even with the rim. not the best idea.  

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/daa-magnetic-powder-check

I also run a 750 and have one on mine. it's a better unit than Dillon's.. having a case with no  powder probably means you had an issue with something on the unit and never completely pulled the handle down but pulled it far enough to cycle the unit. Thus you cycled a case past the powder drop which wasn't activated properly...BTDT on mine when I was getting used to it.. powder check is in the 3rd die position. 4th is my bullet seater and 5th is my crimp die. 

if you want to check completed rounds in mass EGW makes case checkers with 50 holes in them.
https://egwguns.com/chamber-checkers/50-hole-checkers/
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

45 ACP lighter loads feel wild /w higher muzzle flip - Page 2 Empty Re: 45 ACP lighter loads feel wild /w higher muzzle flip

Post by Rodger Barthlow Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:53 pm

Anyone using the Double Alpha short small powder bar for their Dillon powder measures? I like the idea of their click adjustment feature but wanted more info on how accurate they are. Tried call them and was asked to leave a message.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:28 am

You might try the Amazof 100 round case checker. It is not cheap, but you
can load 100 rds in it, then flip it over to load all at once into a 100 round
plastic box. Very neat and tidy, and you have "plunked" all the rounds.
I never remember how to spell the brand, google 100 rd case checker and you are good to go. I like it better than Shokbottle

L. Boscoe

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MkFiji Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:15 pm

L. Boscoe wrote:You might try the Amazof 100 round case checker. It is not cheap, but you
can load 100 rds in it, then flip it over to load all at once into a 100 round
plastic box. Very neat and tidy, and you have "plunked" all the rounds.
I never remember how to spell the brand, google 100 rd case checker and you are good to go. I like it better than Shokbottle
Armanov’s case checker!

I just learned you can use this to load MTM Cases easily—It’s a time saver!  

Picked it up in 9mm and 45ACP

I also picked up their new shell plate with springs so I don’t have to take tabs out when checking cases, sounds like a much better work flow

MkFiji

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2