Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best reloading press- opinions please

+37
james r chapman
rich.tullo
Sa-tevp
Multiracer
rbwillnj
Dcforman
Rodger Barthlow
BE Mike
Bullseye Smith
Wes Lorenz
CrashClint
CraigB5940
Colt711
Blsi2600
Jwhelan939
Axehandle
tovaert
bob finger
rburk
lyman1903
fc60
chiz1180
bruce martindale
Wobbley
john bickar
zanemoseley
LenV
WesG
blindshooter
PhotoEscape
dronning
JIMPGOV
John Dervis
DA/SA
James Hensler
jglenn21
dapduh2
41 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Best reloading press- opinions please - Page 4 Empty Best reloading press- opinions please

Post by dapduh2 2/18/2020, 7:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

So I’m leaving active duty in a few months and going back to being a drilling member of the National Guard. I’ll have much more time to shoot and a convenient place to do so. I’m setting cash aside and would like to dive into reloading probably after the summer. So here’s the question...

If you could buy one press right now what would it be and why. I was looking at a Dillon 650 and for that price point wasn’t sure if there was a better option. Initially loading .45, but eventually 9mm and .38. 

Thanks for any help/ insight.
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Best reloading press- opinions please - Page 4 Empty Re: Best reloading press- opinions please

Post by BE Mike 10/8/2024, 12:25 pm

Allan Campbell wrote:Don't overlook the Frankford Arsenal x-10. I had a Hornady AP and it is a good press, but I had primer feed issues and the pawls would break if there was a jam.They were probably designed to be the point at which things would give. 
I sold the Hornady and bought a Dillon 650. To me it was a better press and it served me well, with some minor issues, primarily the primer feed and used primers backing up.
Then I got interested I in the Frankford Arsenal x-10 and bought it, planning to keep the Dillon for other calibers. I like the x-10 so well that I sold the Dillon. The x-10 is smoother and has more leverage, so less effort to operate, and the primer feed is bulletproof. 10 stations gives the option of swaging, a bullet feeder, a powder check and separate seating and crimp. For me anyway, it just works. The only downside I see is that it is a new product and that is always a risk.
The Lyman Apex 10 looks very similar from the photos that they display. One question: Why does anyone need 10 stages?
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Best reloading press- opinions please - Page 4 Empty Re: Best reloading press- opinions please

Post by ermakevin 10/8/2024, 3:42 pm

yes,  a Star is still the Best re-loader.  **once set up they load perfect every time, ** you would be lucky to locate one.
ermakevin
ermakevin

Back to top Go down

Best reloading press- opinions please - Page 4 Empty Star Loader

Post by fc60 10/8/2024, 3:48 pm

ermakevin wrote:yes,  a Star is still the Best re-loader.  **once set up they load perfect every time, ** you would be lucky to locate one.
Greetings,

Watch eBay.

Several Star's have been sold for under a Monkey ($500.00)

Again, buyer beware. Make sure all the parts are present.

Most machines are sold as Estate items and, quite often, the original small parts are missing.

Good News... Star is still in business and parts can be had.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 10/8/2024, 6:38 pm

ermakevin wrote:yes,  a Star is still the Best re-loader.  **once set up they load perfect every time, ** you would be lucky to locate one.
I have five Dillon's and two Star's (plus three Lee's, Corbin, Magma Engineering Lubesizer and now Rollsizer Decapper - all these are function specific presses).  Star, IMHO, fails in two categories: reloader must be anally attentive to the process (not a problem for me, but it must be mentioned), and, once again IMHO, similarly to Dillon's 1050/1100 it is one caliber - one press relationship.  As a caliber dedicated press, it is indeed at the top........, because powder drop isn't case activated and shell plate only facilitates rotation while cases ride on solid base.  As a multi-caliber press plus readily available Mr. Bulletfeeder, I'll take XL650/XL750 any day of the week over Star........  

My 2 cents.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

BE Mike, John Dervis, Arthur, RoyDean and shanneba like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 10/9/2024, 12:09 pm

FYI. There is a star for sale on Ebay right this minute. I think there is one day and 7 hours left. Currently set up for 38 special.

NFI
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by L Valdez 10/10/2024, 12:35 am

I have a Star with everything for both a 38 special and 45 acp. Large and small primer seaters, individual tool heads, and some powder slides. I am going to take photos and put it/them up for sale.

L Valdez

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Today at 12:02 pm

L Valdez wrote:I have a Star with everything for both a 38 special and 45 acp. Large and small primer seaters, individual tool heads, and some powder slides. I am going to take photos and put it/them up for sale.

^^^ this...

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4