Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

use of a revolver

3 posters

Go down

use of a revolver Empty use of a revolver

Post by knew 2/25/2013, 4:17 pm

Hi,
I have just joined the forum. I am wondering if using a revolver for 2700 matches is practical or not, I really have not found a good answer. Back in high school, I was a competent .22 shooter. After many years away, I am back to shooting air pistol at home, .22 in an evening league. A friend's son wanted to get into shooting so I took it up again as he was too young to go alone. I am surprised to say I am having a blast. I used to shoot in the 270's, can't get over 250 now, but will keep trying. So I think I may want to do some outdoor stuff this summer, but don't want to run out and buy any new guns until I know what I need. Several years ago, an old friend gave up shooting, he called to ask if I wanted his pistol. I bought his Smith .45 ACP revolver, it is marked 1955 model. Like new, it has target sights, grip, trigger, hammer. Could I shoot this for awhile if I want to try some outdoor matches? Or would I be handicapped in some stages? It is very accurate with bullets I cast.
Thanks.

knew

Back to top Go down

use of a revolver Empty Re: use of a revolver

Post by Jack H 2/25/2013, 7:14 pm

I have a 1955 model. The gun suffers one handicap. The operator. It can shoot Xs at 50 yards if it's operator will let it.

There is a learning curve with revolvers in single action thumbing, or double action. You just got to jump in with both feet and do it.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by DeweyHales 2/25/2013, 8:28 pm

It can certainly be done and done well. Go for it.
DeweyHales
DeweyHales

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 2/25/2013, 8:43 pm

For your 50 yards (try to) find some 200 JSWC Hornady and load autorim cases with 4.8 BE.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by knew 2/27/2013, 7:09 pm

Thanks for your help, I have a bunch of 200 SWC Speer, so I will try those with BE.
I also have a Colt Model O 1911 basic model with fixed sights. That should work for As-Is class, let me know if I am wrong. Then all I need is a 1911 hardball gun, like a Les Baer or Gold Cup. With a .22, the Smith 1955, a basic 1911, and a hardball gun, I should be able to do all I want to go after for now. Lots of fun. And keep trying to wear out the air pistol, that has always been the easiest way to get better.

knew

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down