Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sustained (timed) fire / ideal form

4 posters

Go down

Sustained (timed) fire / ideal form Empty Sustained (timed) fire / ideal form

Post by JHHolliday 5/7/2024, 10:37 am

How should a good sustained fire string should look in a dot scope?  I would think the "ideal" form would be something like a sawtooth wave, with the dot jumping vertically on firing then dropping in a controlled manner back to the aiming area.  Something like the attached image (red x near firing points).

A while back Steve Turner posted videos of dot during sustained fire.  I find these very helpful but question for master shooters: is this what sustained fire should look like?  Here is 22:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvYLn0t2s8E

And 45:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OoeRxVPyxU&t=1s

There is a similar video of an AMU shooter.  It is mostly about shot calling, but starting at 1:43 he shows what appears to be amazingly good 45 SF - not much different than a sawtooth wave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krRAOgD2DZA&t=4s

What should we shoot for?
Attachments
Sustained (timed) fire / ideal form Attachment
sustained.png You don't have permission to download attachments.(43 Kb) Downloaded 3 times

Last edited by JHHolliday on 5/7/2024, 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total
JHHolliday
JHHolliday

Back to top Go down

Sustained (timed) fire / ideal form Empty Re: Sustained (timed) fire / ideal form

Post by DA/SA 5/7/2024, 10:47 am

Slow fire allows ten minutes for ten shots. You would usually rest the pistol on the bench between shots and take ten individual shots.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Sustained (timed) fire / ideal form Empty Re: Sustained (timed) fire / ideal form

Post by JHHolliday 5/7/2024, 10:55 am

DA/SA wrote:Slow fire allows ten minutes for ten shots. You would usually rest the pistol on the bench between shots and take ten individual shots.
Sorry, I meant sustained fire by SF (corrected in edit)
JHHolliday
JHHolliday

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 5/7/2024, 10:57 am

My mistake. I should have figured that out!
Sorry.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 5/7/2024, 12:33 pm

I’m not seeing a sawtooth as my shot recovery is a two dimensional exercise. Particularly in 45. So my trace would be similar to a heavy damped conical pendulum. Kind of like this. Sustained (timed) fire / ideal form Img_0421
A
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JHHolliday 5/7/2024, 12:40 pm

Wobbley wrote:I’m not seeing a sawtooth as my shot recovery is a two dimensional exercise. Particularly in 45.  So my trace would be similar to a heavy damped conical pendulum.  Kind of like this. Sustained (timed) fire / ideal form Img_0421
A
Thanks Ashley.  The thought of a saw-tooth wave is more schematic than what is actually seen: time on the horizontal axis and POA distance from center on the vertical axis.  Plotting the AMU shooter's movement seems like that - recoil rapidly up, then returning steadily down to center before firing again.
JHHolliday
JHHolliday

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 5/7/2024, 2:37 pm

Don’t over think it. Center the dot, squeeze, rest.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down