Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Follow up shots in slowfire

4 posters

Go down

Follow up shots in slowfire Empty Follow up shots in slowfire

Post by chiz1180 Tue May 07, 2024 3:33 pm

Per a side discussion on a different thread, here is my take on follow up shots in slowfire. 

Multiple shots during Slowfire? In the right circumstances, yes. In someways this is a more “advanced” technique, but it is one that can make a big difference when correctly utilized.

First things first you need to be able to call your shots and call them well. If you call a X and it is a 8, and this sort of thing happens regularly work on that first.

To utilize this method, you need to always be ready for a follow up shot. Break your first shot, come right back on target for the next shot. Here is where good shot calling is essential, you break the first shot, know it is good, and you come right back to center and follow it up with a follow up shot. After your shots scope them, confirm call.  On paper this is pretty simple, but it takes some time to utilize with confidence.

So when do you use this approach vs the single shot then scope? It depends. I am of the opinion that it makes sense to have this approach ready, and utilize it as needed. This also works well in challenging conditions, such as windy conditions, when you have a lull in the wind, utilize that window to your advantage. As John mentioned in another thread, this also works well if you are shooting really well, if the first shot is good and the follow up is right there, take it! More than once I have stacked follow up shots right on top of the first one.

I also use this technique if my conditioning is not quite up to task and it is a long match. The less time that I have to hold in slowfire keeps me from being completely tired in rapid. It helps me maximize results with the least effort.

All the above said, does this make sense for everyone? Nope. As mentioned earlier if you struggle accurately calling your shots, this approach doesn’t make sense. I am not claiming this is the best way to play the game, but it is a strategy that has worked out well for me.
chiz1180
chiz1180

john bickar and MkFiji like this post

Back to top Go down

Follow up shots in slowfire Empty Re: Follow up shots in slowfire

Post by john bickar Tue May 07, 2024 4:52 pm

Break your first shot, come right back on target for the next shot.

Word.
john bickar
john bickar

mbmshooter and chiz1180 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter Wed May 08, 2024 1:05 pm

John B has previously commented on this topic.  He mentioned shooting more than one shot in SF
"when it felt right".  I thoroughly agree with this process.
IF everything went as planned with that first shot; sight alignment, sight picture and trigger control,
then you may feel comfortable with one or more follow-up shoots as you would in TF.
Try it.  You may find it works for you too.

Mike

mbmshooter

john bickar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed May 08, 2024 3:02 pm

It’s a good technique in windy days. If you have to wait for lulls, shooting 2-3 shots in a lull is a way of getting a decent scores.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Dan Webb likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter Wed May 08, 2024 4:27 pm

Wobbley wrote:It’s a good technique in windy days.  If you have to wait for lulls, shooting 2-3 shots in a lull is a way of getting a decent scores.
Years ago while at Perry we were subjected to sustained 25-30+mph crosswinds during SF.  We had four full lines of shooters and 
I recall there being only an occasional shot at first.
Then, there was somewhat of a brief lull and it suddenly sounded like rapid fire.  This wind-lull-wind-lull went on for the entire ten minutes.
That was a case of environmental NEED.  To be better prepared for such instances, it would be beneficial if the shooters would
practice multiple shots during SF under more favorable conditions to reduce anxiety should that NEED arise.

Mike

mbmshooter

bruce martindale likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down