Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running into a wall during live fire

4 posters

Go down

Running into a wall during live fire Empty Running into a wall during live fire

Post by MkFiji Fri May 10, 2024 1:35 pm

Sometime last month, before I tried KC's Rolling trigger, during dry fire, I would notice my trigger would continue to pull back before releasing the hammer—I no longer felt a wall to break.  Ever since recreating this sensation I've noticed my Mantis X scores have gone up, more towards 97-99 vs 94 when breaking the wall.  There are also times I just hit the wall and have to break it.

When trying out SWCHP and JHP loads I noticed I would hit a wall when shooting JHP and am able to continue to pull back on the trigger when using SWCHP.  I'm thinking it's because I expect JHP to shoot harder and SWCHP to shoot softer, although my experience says the reverse!

My current plan of attack is to shoot a blank piece of paper to just focus on trigger pull and alignment(I just recently started incorporating dry firing into a blank wall) and make it habit.  

I'm thinking of loading both JHP and SWCHP into a magazine to break the spell?

Has anyone had a similar hiccup in trigger pull and have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mark

MkFiji

Back to top Go down

Running into a wall during live fire Empty Re: Running into a wall during live fire

Post by chiz1180 Fri May 10, 2024 2:09 pm

Pick one good load an stick with it. Having multiple loads adds unnecessary complications. Dryfire with the same intent as you do live fire, really under stand the trigger. When you are shooting live fire don't get distracted by the recoil, focus on the sight alignment and trigger pull.
chiz1180
chiz1180

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Running into a wall during live fire Empty Re: Running into a wall during live fire

Post by Jwhelan939 Fri May 10, 2024 2:37 pm

Could you explain what you mean by hit a wall? Do you mean your trigger press became more smooth? Or do you mean your crisp trigger literally started to feel like a roll?

I have an issue where my roll trigger occasionally feels more like a crisp in timed/rapid. I’ve noticed that it seems to happen when I’m gripping too hard. Not 100% sure, but that’s my hypothesis I’m currently working on.

Jwhelan939

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MkFiji Fri May 10, 2024 2:46 pm

Jwhelan939 wrote:Could you explain what you mean by hit a wall? Do you mean your trigger press became more smooth? Or do you mean your crisp trigger literally started to feel like a roll?

I have an issue where my roll trigger occasionally feels more like a crisp in timed/rapid. I’ve noticed that it seems to happen when I’m gripping too hard. Not 100% sure, but that’s my hypothesis I’m currently working on.

A wall like a crisp trigger—you take the slack out, hit a wall, break the wall.  My current trigger setup is set for a crisp break after hitting the wall

Now my best trigger pulls no longer feel like I’m hitting that wall but just continue to pull through it as if it’s what a roll trigger is described as.

When I unconsciously expect a soft recoil I pull on through.  When I unconsciously expect recoil, I hit a wall.  Although that “soft recoil”(SWCHP) has more recoil than normal recoil(JHP).   I only shoot one load for matches but I stumbled upon this mental issue by chance and maybe others have run into it as well

If you’re hitting a wall when gripping too hard maybe I am too! 

I’ve been working on getting the same grip tension every time by taking queues from Bruce’s book, Finding Center—grip tightly then loosen pinky and then ring to get the appropriate grip

The more I think about it, the more I think that actually thinking about grip and tension means I’m not just letting myself shoot, like I’m trying to micromanage the shot process

MkFiji

Back to top Go down

Post by Centerline Fri May 10, 2024 3:29 pm

Jwhelan939 wrote:Could you explain what you mean by hit a wall? Do you mean your trigger press became more smooth? Or do you mean your crisp trigger literally started to feel like a roll?

Depending on the configuration of your grip safety it can put more pressure on the leaf spring which will make your trigger pull harder. Try a hard hold on the grip safety vs a barely-there hold and see how that affects your pull.

Centerline

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down