Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HARRELLS PRECISION PREMIUM Powder Measure, struggling with wide variation in measured drops using VV N320

+2
PMcfall
DA/SA
6 posters

Go down

HARRELLS PRECISION PREMIUM Powder Measure, struggling with wide variation in measured drops using VV N320 Empty HARRELLS PRECISION PREMIUM Powder Measure, struggling with wide variation in measured drops using VV N320

Post by brand-new Tue May 21, 2024 12:42 am

Hi, years ago when i competed in longer range rifle shooting i used a HARRELLS PRECISION PREMIUM Powder Measure and trickle charger very successfully for rifle loads. I've recently begun shooting bullseye pistol and now am struggling with wide variations in powder drop when loading .45acp type loads. I'm generally trying to measure out VV N320 in the 5.8-6.8 grain ranges but the drops can be + or - 10 or more grains some times. The machine is in wonderful shape, looks brand new and has never had any harm to it. In the past it always measured beautifully with the larger volume measures. I had not used it in several years but recently took it out again as i've taken up bullseye shooting.
Hoping perhaps someone might have some thoughts as to how to improve my results. 
I did send them an email request for help as well. 
thank you

brand-new

Back to top Go down

HARRELLS PRECISION PREMIUM Powder Measure, struggling with wide variation in measured drops using VV N320 Empty Re: HARRELLS PRECISION PREMIUM Powder Measure, struggling with wide variation in measured drops using VV N320

Post by DA/SA Tue May 21, 2024 7:16 am

brand-new wrote: I'm generally trying to measure out VV N320 in the 5.8-6.8 grain ranges but the drops can be + or - 10 or more grains some times. 
??
If that is supposed to be .10 grains, don't  even worry about it.

5.8-6.8 seems mighty healthy for BE use!
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

HARRELLS PRECISION PREMIUM Powder Measure, struggling with wide variation in measured drops using VV N320 Empty Re: HARRELLS PRECISION PREMIUM Powder Measure, struggling with wide variation in measured drops using VV N320

Post by PMcfall Tue May 21, 2024 8:56 am

Technique could be the culprit.  When i first got one of these, I had a consistency problem also but a call to Harrel solved my issue.  The gentleman I spoke with told me the correct method to use the measure and now it is dead nuts.  However, I would never use one for Bullseye loads, way too slow.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

brand-new likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Tue May 21, 2024 9:13 am

This may also be an issue:

"Harrell's Precision Premium Powder Measure 6-120 Grain"

BE loads are usually below 6 grains, so you will be at or below the minimum metering capability.
DA/SA
DA/SA

PMcfall and brand-new like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by shanneba Tue May 21, 2024 10:08 am

I suspect their reply will be to use this Powder measure:

Schuetzen / Pistol Measure – Harrells Precision

Schuetzen / Pistol Measure

This measure was developed especially for throwing small charges from 2 to 25 grains very accurately. It IS the most accurate small charge powder measure ever produced. Each click is .03 grains, that's 1/3 of 1/10 grain per click.

shanneba

Back to top Go down

Post by brand-new Tue May 21, 2024 10:46 am

thank you all, I'll hopefully communicated with the manufacturer today. the range of drops i experienced ranged from a drop of 3 grains all the way up to a drop of 6.8 grains..so a very wide spread.

i appreciate the information. my 1911 seems to prefer loads of apx. 5.9 grains of the VV N320 with my 205gn projectile. i did re-check the VV website and that seems to be around their lower limit for that powder

will update as i learn more.

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Tue May 21, 2024 10:58 am

N320 isn't really a very popular powder for BE loads.

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t6188-n320-for-45?highlight=N320

Lots of other similar threads.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by brand-new Tue May 21, 2024 11:05 am

thank you. i hate to waste all the VV N320 i currently have but ultimately i'll likely transition to something else

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by brand-new Wed May 22, 2024 1:10 pm

Shanneba the company agrees with you.

They were kind enough to send me the following response which is pretty cool..... and so i don't think they would mind if i posted it here in case someone else faces a similar challenge:

"That Premium meter will not drop that small of a load.  The drum is too big.  You need our Schuetzen powder measure for pistol reloading."

brand-new

shanneba likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brand-new Thu May 23, 2024 11:21 am

thank you to everyone who took the time to respond, I'm now on a quest to seek out a good value, precision powder measure to facilitate pistol loads.  would appreciate any recommendations or cautions. I'm happy with Harrel's products and Forster's products as they're mostly what i'm familiar with but I'm open to exploring other options as well.

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by DK Thu May 23, 2024 4:26 pm

Check out the

Redding Competition 10X-Pistol and Small Rifle Powder Measure

It’s very repeatable and optimized for small charge weights.

-Dave

DK

Back to top Go down

Post by brand-new Fri May 24, 2024 9:54 pm

thank you. I almost put an order in for the Lee Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure but i'll search the 

Redding Competition 10X-Pistol and Small Rifle Powder Measure just now

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns Sat May 25, 2024 6:39 pm

Hello,

I have two Harrells Schuetzen/Pistol measures.  With VV N310, I don't use VV N320, I get no measurable/salient variation in metering.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down