Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wet Tumbling Brass Process to skip One Shot Step

+5
PhotoEscape
chiz1180
Texasref
james r chapman
MkFiji
9 posters

Go down

Wet Tumbling Brass Process to skip One Shot Step Empty Wet Tumbling Brass Process to skip One Shot Step

Post by MkFiji 5/21/2024, 1:50 am

Even though I've polished my PhotoEscape PTU /w flitz brass still sticks to it, especially new brass, when I don't use One Shot from Hornady.

Last session I tumbled /w dawn & lemishine, rinsed a few times, then tumbled for 15 min /w AmourAll Wash and Shine Ultra Wax and water, and then rinse.  The armorial brand was recommended from someone, it's water soluble.  When I ran the brass through my press, it felt smoother than brass w/o any lube/wax wash but it still stuck on the PTU.

So far, to have a smooth working press, I need to spray the inside of about 80% of the cases that go into the case feeder. This requires me to stand most of them up on a table and spraying away.  I'd like to skip that step.  Anyone have a workflow to remove the One Shot step?  Please include how many times you rinse after.  Do you rinse until suds are gone /w wax or leave some suds on?

Also: Dry tumbling and skipping cleaning is out of the question

For 45 ACP Brass

Thank you

Mark

Last edited by MkFiji on 5/21/2024, 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total

MkFiji

Back to top Go down

Wet Tumbling Brass Process to skip One Shot Step Empty Re: Wet Tumbling Brass Process to skip One Shot Step

Post by james r chapman 5/21/2024, 5:59 am

Which cartridge?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Wet Tumbling Brass Process to skip One Shot Step Empty Re: Wet Tumbling Brass Process to skip One Shot Step

Post by Texasref 5/21/2024, 7:10 am

Mine sticks also. I'm interested in the replies.

Texasref

Back to top Go down

Post by MkFiji 5/21/2024, 8:55 am

james r chapman wrote:Which cartridge?

45ACP

MkFiji

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 5/21/2024, 9:12 am

I don't have the photo escape expander (I use a Lyman m expander), but when I load new brass, I use on shot to lubricate the expanding plug.
chiz1180
chiz1180

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 5/21/2024, 9:43 am

More often than not new brass comes undersized, - hence elevated force is needed on extraction of PTU.  Subsequently use of one shot or similar lube sprayed on cases or on expander itself is highly recommended.  For fired brass, - I suggest checking you sizing die.  If, i.e. you are using Starline brass with wall thickness at ~0.01", ID of sizing die doesn't need to be less than 0.466" for bullets sized at 0.452".  And it can be as high as 0.470", but depends on brass and bullets. 

Please do not use above numbers without checking specifics for your reloading components. 

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MkFiji 5/21/2024, 9:53 am

chiz1180 wrote:I don't have the photo escape expander (I use a Lyman m expander), but when I load new brass, I use on shot to lubricate the expanding plug.

I tried that yesterday, sprayed one shot on a paper towel and wiped the PTU but it would need reapplication every other case or so.  I got lazy with this batch of new brass and only sprayed what was facing up in a zip lock bag.  Going to take them all out of the case feeder and get them all some One Shot Love

But I’d like to skip the one shot step all together!

Last edited by MkFiji on 5/21/2024, 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total

MkFiji

Back to top Go down

Post by dannyd93140 5/21/2024, 10:02 am

I used one shot for years, but switched to brass juice because it's not flammable and cheaper.

https://www.thereloadingstation.com/products/brass-juice-handgun-case-lubricant
dannyd93140
dannyd93140

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 5/21/2024, 12:13 pm

MkFiji wrote:
chiz1180 wrote:I don't have the photo escape expander (I use a Lyman m expander), but when I load new brass, I use on shot to lubricate the expanding plug.

I tried that yesterday, sprayed one shot on a paper towel and wiped the PTU but it would need reapplication every other case or so.  I got lazy with this batch of new brass and only sprayed what was facing up in a zip lock bag.  Going to take them all out of the case feeder and get them all some One Shot Love

But I’d like to skip the one shot step all together!
I spray the die directly, You may not be getting enough of the lubricant and more of the aerosol with the paper towel application method.
chiz1180
chiz1180

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 5/21/2024, 12:32 pm

Greetings,

Most off the shelf sizing dies for 45 ACP leave the cases at 0.465"-0.466" diameter.

Forcing the expander into the small case will increase friction and cause difficult press operation.

Source/borrow a Lee 45 Colt sizing die (RCBS make a nice one also.). Most of them will size the cases to 0.468"-0.470".

Still, new brass is a pain to load; but, the larger sizing die will lessen the effort.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

MkFiji and targetshooter_10x like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin 5/21/2024, 5:26 pm

Regardless of how clean brass is, i always lube. New or old brass. its just makes press operation smoother. 
heres my streamlined and very cheap process:
wet tumble with dish soap. Rinse well, tumble again with few spoonfuls citric acid. Brass looks new.
mix 99% isopropyl alchohol with liquid lanolin, about 20:1 ratio, in spray bottle. Dries on brass (no sticky residue) and lasts for many, many sprays. spread dry brass out on a towel, give it a couple sprays. shake in the towel and then give it a couple more sprays. Let it dry for about five minutes and then it is good to go into your brass container and be loaded.
I challenge you to find a less expensive or more effective processing method.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin 5/21/2024, 5:28 pm

also what Dave said, using a 45 colt sizing die is a must.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by MkFiji 5/21/2024, 5:41 pm

SmokinNJokin wrote:also what Dave said, using a 45 colt sizing die is a must.

If I just use OneShot I don't need a different sizing die—it runs incredibly smooth even with my Redding NexGen sizing die that undersizes.  

I'm looking for a process that would apply wax/lube during the wet tumbling phase so I can skip the OneShot phase

MkFiji

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin 5/21/2024, 5:56 pm

another benefit of using the 45 colt die  whether your brass sticks or not, is that you will see a lot less split cases. I have some Starline brass that has been reloaded, a preposterous amount of times because it is being minimally resized. 
I understand you were trying to skip the one shot spray step, but I don’t think there’s a product that is going to coat well in water without 99% of it getting wasted and also leaving a sticky residue. that’s the whole point of using a spray in something like alcohol that evaporates.

SmokinNJokin

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ermakevin 5/22/2024, 10:59 am

and all the Star user need to lube, that was a wake up call for me after I purchased a Star reloader. I never lubed on my Square Deal and it worked fine. maybe ill try lube on the SD. Hummmm
ermakevin
ermakevin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down