Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

45-45-10 on loaded rounds

+4
chiz1180
STEVE SAMELAK
rburk
MkFiji
8 posters

Go down

45-45-10 on loaded rounds Empty 45-45-10 on loaded rounds

Post by MkFiji Tue May 21, 2024 3:16 pm

I tried Motorcycle_dan's workflow for loaded rounds, WD-40, jar, remove shavings, tumble in towel like bowling ball, etc.  I liked how clean the rounds came out but didn't like the puff of smoke that comes out when shooting them.  Also, no issues /w primers going off /w just a spray of the WD-40 like that one officer story.

So I started using 99% alcohol to tumble my jacketed loads with great effect, easy to grab and super clean! I actually started toweling my JHP in 99% alcohol and noticed a lot less lead residue when loading, I really like it.

My question pertains to lead loads.  I've tumbled them in a towel /w 99% and I think the lube on the bullet comes off.  I read about 45-45-10 on Jerry Keefer's Canton/Perry prep, Canton/Perry prep (bullseyeforum.net), and how to make it, 45-45-10 Simplified (gunloads.com), and thought about putting some on that on my loaded lead rounds after cleaning shavings with 99% alcohol.

Do you think there would be any problems with this on loaded rounds?

Thanks!

Mark

MkFiji

Back to top Go down

45-45-10 on loaded rounds Empty Re: 45-45-10 on loaded rounds

Post by rburk Tue May 21, 2024 10:59 pm

I know it works well on bullets, but not sure how it would work if the whole round is coated with it.  I am thinking of cleanliness and possible buildup in chamber.  If you try it, let us know how it works.

rburk

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Wed May 22, 2024 5:19 am

since little if any would get on to the bearing surface of the bullet......what would be the point?
I would think that lube on the outside of the case would just foul the chamber.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

james r chapman, djperry2 and MkFiji like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Wed May 22, 2024 6:06 am

In regards to lead loads, they all are generally smokey. Combination of the lube and the lead. Coated bullets are better smoke wise than traditional lubed bullets.
chiz1180
chiz1180

ermakevin and MkFiji like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MkFiji Wed May 22, 2024 9:45 am

STEVE SAMELAK wrote:since little if any would get on to the bearing surface of the bullet......what would be the point?
I would think that lube on the outside of the case would just foul the chamber.

I was trying to find info on that on the boolits forum. I imagined it was for loading into the chamber but wasn’t sure if it was needed on the nose of the lead bullet.

I wasn’t having accuracy issues but I also haven’t shot a 2700 of lead in one session in my 1911 without lube. I’ve only seen some lead getting into the magazine of my 1911 like I see some shave off on magazines in .22

MkFiji

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Wed May 22, 2024 9:51 am

lube on the nose is of questionable value...I believe.
lube on the bearing surface of lead bullet is needed.
If you use too much lube & really low pressure loads you can really annoy the shooters down wind of you.  Embarassed
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

troystaten and MkFiji like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Sat May 25, 2024 5:25 pm

If you want a lot of fun, shoot next to someone shooting a cap and ball revolver with BP.  Although sometimes I think I focus better on the front sight if there is big cloud of BP smoke in front of me:)

troystaten

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Sat May 25, 2024 7:18 pm

troystaten wrote:If you want a lot of fun, shoot next to someone shooting a cap and ball revolver with BP.  Although sometimes I think I focus better on the front sight if there is big cloud of BP smoke in front of me:)

If I remember correctly Titegroup and a loose crimp makes the shooter downwind cough, like breathing paper grocery bag smoke.

Eley high end 22 is like aroma therapy.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

troystaten and MkFiji like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow Sun May 26, 2024 10:03 am

I coat all my Zero LHPSWC bullets with Rooster Lube liquid before loading them. I let them sit 24hrs so the Rooster Lube to dry. This helps cut down on leading since it washes the loose lead that seems to be left on the Zero bullets. I can see lots of loose lead in the bottom of the bowl I use to swirl the bullets around in to coat them after removing the bullets to dry.
The Rooster jacket Lube can be bought from Mid Way.
As for cleaning the loaded rounds I wipe them off with a dry paper towel by twisting the nose of the round in the towel after loading to remove any excessive lube or metal shavings from the loading process.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MkFiji Sun May 26, 2024 10:19 am

Rodger Barthlow wrote:I coat all my Zero LHPSWC bullets with Rooster Lube liquid before loading them. I let them sit 24hrs so the Rooster Lube to dry. This helps cut down on leading since it washes the loose lead that seems to be left on the Zero bullets. I can see lots of loose lead in the bottom of the bowl I use to swirl the bullets around in to coat them after removing the bullets to dry.
The Rooster jacket Lube can be bought from Mid Way.
As for cleaning the loaded rounds I wipe them off with a dry paper towel by twisting the nose of the round in the towel after loading to remove any excessive lube or metal shavings from the loading process.

Yeah, I could do manual twisting of each round but doing that to 1000 rounds isn't something I look forward to.  I've done it before and it's too time consuming IME. 

Rolling them around in a jar, then a towel, then throwing it into a case gauge device that loads them quickly into a case gauge, which also helps load them quickly into a MTM box is the speed workflow I do look forward to as it's incredibly fast.

I still don't enjoy reloading, but I do enjoy seeing the process be sped up quite a bit to save time.

Have you noticed a difference in accuracy in using Rooster lube vs using Zero's stock lube?  On the castboolits website I believe I've read people saw more accuracy with 45-45-10

MkFiji

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow Sun May 26, 2024 12:15 pm

Yes I can see gains since it cuts down on lead fouling in the barrel and the chamber stays cleaner.
For me reloading is stress relief and I get to inspect every individual round for defects such as split cases.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sun May 26, 2024 1:39 pm

You can wipe the excess lube from loaded rounds while you watch TV in the evenings. Not much effort and it keeps you sane while you watch the inanity….
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Sa-tevp likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MkFiji Sun May 26, 2024 1:50 pm

Wobbley wrote:You can wipe the excess lube from loaded rounds while you watch TV in the evenings.  Not much effort and it keeps you sane while you watch the inanity….

Unfortunately I don't watch TV or similar tasks while at home.  Just not enough time in the day for me after work or training.

The time I can do something passive is when I'm on standby at work or while driving, and I like to catch up on netflix while driving.

MkFiji

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down