Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training for the Ohio Triple Crown

4 posters

Go down

Training for the Ohio Triple Crown Empty Training for the Ohio Triple Crown

Post by MkFiji 5/29/2024, 11:57 pm

Hi guys,

Last Monday I shot my first 2700 and felt surprisingly good physically and mentally(and also shot a new personal best for .22 and rapids with 45!), but that was just one day of shooting.  The more I think about it, the more I feel like I need to increase my dry fire volume to mentally prepare myself for the focus needed over two weeks.

I feel like I've come a long way, just last November I had a hard time focusing finishing a 1800—back then I kept wanting to get the shot over with.  Now, I can sometimes stop and not give in to feeling like the trigger is so heavy or the perception that it's taking forever for me to pull the trigger.  It's about not taking bad shots, right?  I'd like insight to do more.  

What kind of training have you guys done to prepare for shooting long periods of time?

So far, each day, I'm doing 30+ dry fires against a blank wall with revolver and 1911 each.  Then I do 10min of dry firing with the 1911.  Sometime's I'll do rapid fire on a turning target /w my revolver. The focus changes each day.  Usually it's keeping even space on the sights and pulling the trigger without disturbing the sight.  Having recently experienced what it's like to shoot a tight group /w a .45 on the long line, I've been chasing that grip and that sensation I had and dry firing a few strings of different grips.

Any training tips or routines are appreciated

Thanks!

MkFiji

Back to top Go down

Training for the Ohio Triple Crown Empty Re: Training for the Ohio Triple Crown

Post by chiz1180 5/30/2024, 12:35 pm

My recommendation is live sustained fire training when possible, I would even prioritize that over the longline.

The Triple Crown is basically like three back to back marathons, you need to be able to pace yourself. The short line makes up the majority of the match and If your string of rapid happens to be in a less than ideal condition, you just have to accept it and send it. Between Cardinal and Perry, the chance of shooting in wind is basically guaranteed, if you are not used to it, it will be a big wake up call. Shooting in the rain is also a possibility, gripping your gun when it is completely wet is vastly different than when it is dry. 

All that said, it will be fun.
chiz1180
chiz1180

valbern67, RoyDean and MkFiji like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 5/31/2024, 6:19 pm

You're not shooting a one-day 2700 at any of the matches of the Ohio Triple Crown. There's a lot more shooting over the course of 2-1/2 weeks, but fewer rounds per day.
john bickar
john bickar

valbern67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jareds06 6/27/2024, 4:18 pm

MkFiji wrote:Hi guys,

Last Monday I shot my first 2700 and felt surprisingly good physically and mentally(and also shot a new personal best for .22 and rapids with 45!), but that was just one day of shooting.  The more I think about it, the more I feel like I need to increase my dry fire volume to mentally prepare myself for the focus needed over two weeks.

I feel like I've come a long way, just last November I had a hard time focusing finishing a 1800—back then I kept wanting to get the shot over with.  Now, I can sometimes stop and not give in to feeling like the trigger is so heavy or the perception that it's taking forever for me to pull the trigger.  It's about not taking bad shots, right?  I'd like insight to do more.  

What kind of training have you guys done to prepare for shooting long periods of time?

So far, each day, I'm doing 30+ dry fires against a blank wall with revolver and 1911 each.  Then I do 10min of dry firing with the 1911.  Sometime's I'll do rapid fire on a turning target /w my revolver. The focus changes each day.  Usually it's keeping even space on the sights and pulling the trigger without disturbing the sight.  Having recently experienced what it's like to shoot a tight group /w a .45 on the long line, I've been chasing that grip and that sensation I had and dry firing a few strings of different grips.

Any training tips or routines are appreciated

Thanks!
Honestly, right now, I dry fire at least an hour a day, sometimes three or four. Usually not all in one block unless I'm watching a show or something. Confirm on paper maybe once a week. The first 4-5 months of this year I was hitting the range like 3-4 times a week and every single day in the week before a match. My dry fire involves religiously focus on trigger control, sight alignment, and sight picture and varying speeds of applying those fundamentals. I definitely need to kick it in high gear though, but I've been dealing with an injured stray cat that's wandered into my life and needs attention/care. 
Training for the Ohio Triple Crown Image
jareds06
jareds06

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down