Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ready to purchase a progressive press.....appreciate your guidance

+20
jrod1101
WesG
sturitter
RoyDean
Tallthinliar
shooter1450
John Dervis
Texasref
Colt711
Wobbley
Pinetree
BE Mike
mbmshooter
SingleActionAndrew
zanemoseley
chiz1180
DA/SA
Dcforman
Jwhelan939
brand-new
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ready to purchase a progressive press.....appreciate your guidance - Page 2 Empty Ready to purchase a progressive press.....appreciate your guidance

Post by brand-new 6/7/2024, 7:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

I've been reloading for some time now with a single stage press and i'm generally very pleased with it and the results i've obtained. 

To date I've done most all of my reloading on a Forster Co-Ax using calipers, deburring and chamfering with a hand tool, weighing each and every load by hand using a scale and trickler. My loads have been safe and accurate.

I must admit however that it does take a very long time to load just 50 rounds. 

I'm strongly considering purchasing a progressive press. 

I had contemplated purchasing a turret press but the more i think about them, i'm not sure they're all that much more of an improvement efficiency wise as it's pretty easy to change dies on the Forster Co-Ax. I'm certainly open to your thoughts and experience.

I don't want to give up the safety, accuracy and precision i feel i'm able to get with my current practice and yet a bit more efficiency times when i want to shoot more than 50 rounds would be nice. I shoot for little groups on paper.

I've watched a few videos over the past weeks however i was hoping for some guidance... I'm posting here as i would imagine the information gained from this experienced group/forum, who share similar goals, might minimize the inherent bias that many video makers might be obliged to respect. 

With respect to the press alone, i would like to keep the cost under $1150 but less is certainly preferable. 

My dies and scale and hand tools are otherwise satisfactory. 

Thank you

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Ready to purchase a progressive press.....appreciate your guidance - Page 2 Empty Re: Ready to purchase a progressive press.....appreciate your guidance

Post by Colt711 6/9/2024, 6:01 pm

Auto Indexing: A useful addon if the press is not so equipped. It is a safety feature reducing the chance of a double charge or missed charge.

Ron Habegger

Colt711

DA/SA and brand-new like this post

Back to top Go down

Ready to purchase a progressive press.....appreciate your guidance - Page 2 Empty Re: Ready to purchase a progressive press.....appreciate your guidance

Post by brand-new 6/9/2024, 6:12 pm

i understand, best then to stay away from the Dillon 550 or the Star reloading press. thank you

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by shooter1450 6/9/2024, 10:23 pm

For years I used to do my high volume loading on a Lyman T-Mag turret press. My wife thought I was spending too much time loading and not enough on my honey-do list so she bought me a Dillon 550C for Christmas.
shooter1450
shooter1450

brand-new likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tallthinliar 6/10/2024, 8:05 am

For what it’s worth, midsouth has a Frankford x 10 on sale for $799.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/001221178469/x-10-progressive-press-with-case-feeder

If you have dies I then the only two things needed are the shell plate holder  and  caliber conversion for the case feeder.   It comes with a light. I have a 750, and am probably in it for at least $2k with all of the add ons. I have asked around the forum for feedback about it but have not received any responses. Midsouth have some reviews .     I am considering this for a second press.  The. 10 stations allow a lot of options.

Tallthinliar

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 6/10/2024, 8:28 am

Frankford X-10

I had forgotten about that recently introduced press - yes, looks really good - and what a deal from Midsouth.

I have many products from Frankford - good, solid, reliable and when I have had a small problem they sent me a replacement free of charge and fast.

Whilst I have not used or even touched an X-10, if I was in the market for a new press the X-10 would definitely get my full attention.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 6/10/2024, 10:25 am

I will 2nd Roy, the Frankford X-10 looks impressive. I would probably consider it if I were in the market.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by brand-new 6/10/2024, 10:39 am

thanks everyone...I think i'll narrow the search down to either the Dillon 750 or the Frankford Arsenal X-10. 
very grateful for everyone's time, information and help

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by sturitter 6/10/2024, 6:22 pm

brand-new wrote:had heard Dillon offered a lifetime warranty....good to know. Probably good to have a warranty. 

I'm presently in discussions with my better half to see how much is reasonable to spare for my hobby/joy. We're a team.

I use a pair of Hornady LnL's, one set up for 45 and the other for everything else. My 45 press is 12 years old and has loaded quite a few thousands of rounds. Two months ago I went out to start loading and the press ram jammed solid. I called Hornady, they sent a postage label and I sent the press in.
Received it back a week later completely rebuilt including a new ram, under warranty. Hornady paid the whole thing. Yes, you want a warranty.

Stu

sturitter

http://www.sturitter.com

RoyDean, brand-new and 4th Corner Traveler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 6/11/2024, 10:24 am

I thought a Star would be cool, but switching calibers was more hassle than I'd want. And no way I'd have the room for 3 of them.

Dillon was too much money once you get into easily switching calibers.

I went with an LNL. Made a couple small mod's, the main one being my own drop tubes for the measure. The length of them comping case lengths so the measure never needs to be adjusted. Swap the tube, set the drum, and go.

I also made a 'micrometer' adjusting sleeve for the PE die.

The only thing I have to swap out is the priming station. A small qty I'll do by hand. I'm usually sizing/decapping/expanding, and then tumbling anyway.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by jrod1101 6/11/2024, 1:29 pm

I use a Dillon 650 and a 550. I would recommend a Dillon 750, which is the same as the 650; however, they updated the primer system to what the 550 uses. It's the best of both worlds.

jrod1101

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 6/11/2024, 1:48 pm

Just like politics and religion, everyone has their own experience and opinions. I have used Dillons since 1980, 450 then 550’s, for all my loading including rifle. I don’t try to set any records on speed but after I get into a rhythm, I generally load out 100 primers in 20 minutes. I have had shoulder replacement surgery so only load 100 rounds in a sitting to lessen the stress. I don’t often disagree with Ashley, but I don’t see manual advance as a big disadvantage. A powder cop die would be nice but I make do with a good light and mirror to judge powder level.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by Amp 6/11/2024, 2:28 pm

I am currently listing a RL 550C and its accessories for sale if interested. SW PA

Amp

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 6/27/2024, 10:26 pm

On eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/135118979434?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Pg1gNmoTTOG&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=rIIQ41yLSpK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by brand-new 6/27/2024, 10:43 pm

thank you all so very much. we got hit with a very hard blow financially. I've got to recover a bit and then hopefully in a few months will try again.

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 6/27/2024, 11:33 pm

brand-new wrote:thank you all so very much. we got hit with a very hard blow financially. I've got to recover a bit and then hopefully in a few months will try again.

Make a list of what you are looking for and the normal prices.

Then, every couple of weeks or so check for sales or fleabay or whatever. If you are not in a rush but know what you would like to get you can often luck into some good deals.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by brand-new 6/27/2024, 11:39 pm

Thank you…great advice 
Really appreciate it

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by jdumdei 7/1/2024, 2:21 pm

I have had a Hornady lnl for 15 years and am happy with it.

jdumdei

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2