Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DA-only revolver for trigger training?

4 posters

Go down

DA-only revolver for trigger training? Empty DA-only revolver for trigger training?

Post by JHHolliday Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:41 am

I bought a lightly used SW 929 9mm (6" barrel) revolver somewhat on impulse (before Newsom's latest 2A tax grab kicked in). I wanted a good revolver (among the few available in CA), and 9mm is appealing because it is cheaper and I don't reload. Besides the hassles of moon clips (loader / deloader on the way), first time shooting was fun and of course now I want it improved and accurized.

https://postimg.cc/z3MQ1DNr

The stock trigger is heavy in double-action, more than my 8# trigger gauge - maybe 10-12#, with some stacking.  Single action is a very nice smooth 4# pull, and I could learn to shoot it SA.  But it seems the revolver crowd prefers to shoot double-action, with modifications such as bobbed hammer, lighter springs, etc, to make it work.  It has a titanium cylinder, ostensibly to reduce rotation moment for faster rapid fire shooting.

Optimizing for double action would make it DA only, like this:

https://tkcustom.com/products/ultimate-master-action-tuning-job

For those who shoot revolver, do you recommend going DA only? Does it help improve trigger skill, or other benefits?

Thanks

JHH
JHHolliday
JHHolliday

Back to top Go down

DA-only revolver for trigger training? Empty Re: DA-only revolver for trigger training?

Post by rsp Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:16 pm

I shoot a 9lb DAO trigger on my revolvers, it is fun and different but unfortunately it doesn't automatically grant one awesome trigger control when going back to a 2lb SA trigger. I admit, initially I kind of hoped if I practiced this way it would make everything else seem like "easy mode" but it does not. It's just different.

For context, I am classified Sharpshooter, I often but not always shoot low Expert scores in the .22 part of the match. My PB with a target .22 autoloader is 829 and my PB with the .22 DAO revolver is, I think, 821. So, pretty close. I only shoot metallic sights.

rsp

JHHolliday likes this post

Back to top Go down

DA-only revolver for trigger training? Empty Re: DA-only revolver for trigger training?

Post by chiz1180 Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:14 pm

Both SA and DA action are valid approaches. Regardless of the approach you use, revolvers can be a significant challenge, but very rewarding. I shoot SF single action and shoot double for sustained. That said not all DA triggers are created equal. Some are really good others leave a lot of room for improvement.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:08 am

Among top tier revolver shooters, it’s mixed . 
The PPC guys have to do DA, and they get an extra hand and barricade to do it.
Jason G (one of USA best revolver guys) shoots championship scores SA
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down