Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EIC stationary targets>

+4
NukeMMC
L Valdez
cdrt
james r chapman
8 posters

Go down

EIC stationary targets> Empty EIC stationary targets>

Post by L Valdez 7/28/2024, 9:33 am

I recently shot a CMP pistol EIC match where the 25 yard timed and rapid fire targets were paper targets and non-turning, they were stationary without a turning mechanism. I thought 25 yd TF and RF paper targets had to turn, but I could not find that in the 2024 rule book. When were turning target requirements removed from EIC pistols matches?

L Valdez

Back to top Go down

EIC stationary targets> Empty Re: EIC stationary targets>

Post by james r chapman 7/28/2024, 11:25 am

Yep, I don’t see any requirements, and, much of the language refers to “when using turning targets”
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC 7/28/2024, 11:34 am

AFAIK, turning targets are only required by NRA Rule 6.9 for a tournament to be Registered.  The only reference to turning targets I find in CMP rules is 3.7.3Targets that use paper target scoring may be turning or fixed, except that National Trophy and National Championship events must be fired on electronic or turning paper targets
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

james r chapman and SingleActionAndrew like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 7/28/2024, 3:32 pm

In the 2020 Rule Book, 3.7.3 read, "Targets are located along a line parallel to the firing line(s) that is 50 feet, 25
yards or 50 yards from the firing line. Targets may be turning or fixed, except that National Trophy, National Championship and EIC Matches events must be fired on turning targets."

It appears they left out the EIC match requirement in the latest rule book.  I know the range in Carthage, Texas, had to get a waiver that year for their Pistol EIC, since they do not have turning targets.  I guess the CMP decided to relax the rule.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by L Valdez 7/28/2024, 4:36 pm

It seems unfair to all shooters trying to get distinguished. Some have to shoot on turning targets and others get to see their stationary target while in the ready position.

It's a shame to see the standards being lowered over the years.

L Valdez

Arthur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC 7/28/2024, 4:59 pm

The point to the excellence in competition matches is to distinguish those people who consistently perform at the top 10% of the matches. Everyone in any one match shoots to the same conditions. If you get points at a match, it is because you were in the top 10% of non-distinguished shooters at that match. If you had turning targets at that match, and then get points at another match without turning targets, what's the difference? Everybody at both matched had the same opportunity.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

SingleActionAndrew, RoyDean and jareds06 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 7/28/2024, 6:21 pm

Perhaps a low ready position could be used for fixed targets?

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

mbmshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 7/28/2024, 6:33 pm

NukeMMC wrote:The point to the excellence in competition matches is to distinguish those people who consistently perform at the top 10% of the matches.  Everyone in any one match shoots to the same conditions.  If you get points at a match, it is because you were in the top 10% of non-distinguished shooters at that match.  If you had turning targets at that match, and then get points at another match without turning targets, what's the difference?  Everybody at both matched had the same opportunity.  
Along the same lines not all turning targets turn at the same speed.

If anything it lowers the entry barrier to clubs to hold matches. For lots of clubs the expense of installing and maintaining turning targets isn’t feasible.
chiz1180
chiz1180

djperry2, RoyDean and jareds06 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter 7/28/2024, 7:35 pm

NukeMMC wrote:The point to the excellence in competition matches is to distinguish those people who consistently perform at the top 10% of the matches.  Everyone in any one match shoots to the same conditions.  If you get points at a match, it is because you were in the top 10% of non-distinguished shooters at that match.  If you had turning targets at that match, and then get points at another match without turning targets, what's the difference?  Everybody at both matched had the same opportunity.  

You are, of course, correct about the top 10% of those competing in a particular EIC match.  However, remember that the CMP FINALLY established
a minimum score of 250 for Service Pistol to award any points.
Those folks who are shooting at fixed, non-turning targets do have an advantage over those shooting at turning targets of achieving that minimum
250 score regardless of their being in the top 10%.
I recall being at an EIC year before that minimum score was established where there was one leg awarded for a 216 score.  Yes, it was the top 10% BUT!

mbmshooter

chopper, Sc0 and Arthur like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick 7/28/2024, 8:11 pm

People can howl now but obviously they don't care enough to notice when this rule change was announced in 2020 for the 2021 season.

I think it's a wash anyhow.  Turning targets give you some warning and an opportunity for a skid shot.  A hard match director can clip your time right at the mark on fixed targets, also while I can't find it in the rules, I presume late shots are assumed to be the highest scoring and dropped similar to alibis. Some advantage.

Badges awarded per year has gone from mid 40's to low 50's before these rules to low to mid 30's since. So if fixed targets have unraveled the space time continuum it doesn't show in the data.

Merick

jareds06 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down