Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rust Blue solution

5 posters

Go down

Rust Blue solution Empty Rust Blue solution

Post by Froneck Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:19 am

I'm nearing completion of my one piece barrel and want to by Rust Bluing Solution. I have Bob's Rust Blue as seen on Anvil Videos (not happy with it) Have Brownells (didn't try it yet) Tried to order Mike Lee called twice left message. Looked a Laurel Mountain but all I see is Browning.
Any recommendations?

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Rust Blue solution Empty Re: Rust Blue solution

Post by jglenn21 Wed Jul 31, 2024 2:16 pm

Brownells should have the lee stuff. All my nephew, who does restorations, uses.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall Wed Jul 31, 2024 2:20 pm

Here you go!
Barrel Brown & Degreaser - 2.5 oz - $19.35 : Laurel Mountain Forge, the finishing touch

Yes, it says Brown but when you boil the rusted parts, you get rust bluing.  Read the instructions and it will talk about rust bluing.  I wish they would change the name, its confusing.   Its the only rust blue solution I will use and I've tried a bunch of the others.  Laurel Mountain is very forgiving while the others are NOT
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

jmoore likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Wed Jul 31, 2024 3:38 pm

Ordered Mike Lee Express Blue from Brownells, Laurel Mountain is out of stock, Has been ordered from Midway. I'll give them a test drive.
 Thanks guys for the help!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:23 pm

I really like the Art's Belgian Blue, Midway sells it. It says "cold blue" but it's the same process as Mike Lee - boil, apply the solution, boil again, card, repeat.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:05 pm

javaduke; am I to assume it is actually a rust blue not a cold blue! I've never had any success with cold bluing, tried all that Brownells sells as well as others. Yes it looks good but after a while the bluing rubs off, does not last long. I think I seen it at Brownells.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Thu Aug 01, 2024 7:36 am

Like I said, it IS a rust blue solution, just like Mike Lee, not sure why they call it "cold blue", maybe as opposed to the hot salts bluing. Not a slow rust process though, you just boil the part, apply the solution, and it will start rusting immediately, then boil again to convert it and card using steel wool or Brownells carding wheel, and repeat this process several times until you get the color you want. I usually do it about five times for larger parts like slides and frames, and two-three times for small parts like grip safeties. Then boil the parts again for about 40 minutes and soak them in motor oil overnight.
Here's a good example of what it looks like, I built this gun from Caspian parts and finished with Belgian Blue. 

Rust Blue solution Img_3010

javaduke

jmoore likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:40 am

Thanks javaduke, Seems to be a Rust Blue to me! I guess they call it cold blue for the same reason Laurel Mountain calls theirs Barrel Brown though it will brown yet dark blue after boiling. Might be that stuff on the Anvil videos called Rust Blue was copyrighted. Might not be able to use it in the name of the product. Not a lawyer so I don't know. I do have good results with cold blue on small parts, seen a Youtube video where after cold blueing cover the part with oil and let it sit. Oil will float to the surface and will allow the solution to continue bluing. Then wash the item to stop the process.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Thu Aug 01, 2024 12:22 pm

From what I’ve read in old books on gunsmithing, the major difference between “browning” and “rust bluing” is the boiling of the parts between application of solution.  By boiling the parts, the Fe2O3 changes to Fe3O4.  Both need to be carded between application of the solution (“passes”).  The “brown” surface is soaked in oil and then varnished. The “blue” surface is just oiled.  I have used rust blue but I made my own solution that I copied from Roy Dunlop’s book.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Tue Aug 06, 2024 11:43 am

I've received the bottles of Laurel Mountain from Midway and Mike Lee from Brownells. I'm thinking of ordering Art's Belgian Blue. javaduke am I to assume the product is applied after boiling, then boil to blue? Is there any dry time between applying the blue and boiling? Do I boil then apply blue while wet or allow to dry?  Repeat as necessary to get darkness desired? Being lazy I'm looking for the simplest and best way! To me color is not important, accuracy and function is!
Wobbley I down loaded a book recommended by Mark Novak, Anvil Videos. Supposedly written years ago with numerous formulas. Now I have to find it, I did a while ago!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:44 pm

In rust bluing the parts have to rust. So the parts are boiled, hung to dry (only takes a second) apply solution, placed in a humid area (usually overnight), then “carded”, then the next “pass”.  It’s time consuming because it takes 5-7 passes, but it actually makes better “bluing” than the chemical process, IMO.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall Tue Aug 06, 2024 4:53 pm

As I said earlier, I only use Laurel Mountain.  I would never let it rust up overnight, I want more control than that.  I rust in a box, actually a long plastic container made to store Christmas wrapping paper.  If the humidity is low and rusting is hard to get, I place a couple cups of hot water in the box to raise the humidity to at least 70%.  However, don't raise the humidity to the point the metal becomes wet.  I can usually get 2, sometimes 3 cycles a day.  Just set it aside for the night, then go again in the morning. I only allow a slight amount of rust.  If you let it rust up heavily, the end product will be more like a matte finish.
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:22 pm

Froneck wrote:I've received the bottles of Laurel Mountain from Midway and Mike Lee from Brownells. I'm thinking of ordering Art's Belgian Blue. javaduke am I to assume the product is applied after boiling, then boil to blue? Is there any dry time between applying the blue and boiling? Do I boil then apply blue while wet or allow to dry?  Repeat as necessary to get darkness desired? Being lazy I'm looking for the simplest and best way! To me color is not important, accuracy and function is!
Wobbley I down loaded a book recommended by Mark Novak, Anvil Videos. Supposedly written years ago with numerous formulas. Now I have to find it, I did a while ago!
Yes sir, first you boil to heat up the part, no need to dry it completely, just shake or wipe off excess water, then apply the solution, you will see the darkening effect immediately. Then boil again for another 5 min or so, then remove from water and card with the Brownells carding wheel or 0000 steel wool. Then repeat all these steps again - boil, apply the blue, boil again, card, repeat until it looks good, then boil for another 40 min or so, and then dry and soak in motor oil overnight.

Forgot to mention, make sure you clean the part thoroughly before bluing. I usually sand blast it, then clean in my ultrasonic cleaner, I use a mix of distilled water and simple green, and then I heat it in the oven for about 15 min and check for any oil spots. If yes, then I clean the oil with some acetone and put the part back to the ultrasonic cleaner.

javaduke

SingleActionAndrew likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:16 pm

One important thing is, it is really important to soak the part in motor oil at least overnight, or better yet, for 24 hours.
I just finished a slide for a customer, after 15 applications it was very dull gray color and way brighter than it should look and it wasn't getting any darker anymore. So at this point I left it in the boiling bath for another 40 min, then took it out, let it dry (at this time of year in AZ it was almost instantly Smile))) and put in the air with some old used motor oil and left it overnight. Next morning it was deep black and looked gorgeous! I'm not sure what is the actual chemistry there but it works Smile

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down