Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Bullseye shooters?

+13
Blazin
bruce martindale
speedy1544
john bickar
jareds06
Grouse
chiz1180
Wobbley
JRV
jjbhonn
BE Mike
troystaten
SingleActionAndrew
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New Bullseye shooters? - Page 2 Empty New Bullseye shooters?

Post by jjbhonn Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:29 am

First topic message reminder :

The Turkish Air Pistol shooter Yusuf Dikec has been embraced by fellow non-shooting Olympians for his appearance, style and form. I wonder if the Bullseye community can take advantage his appeal to attract new shooters to our sport.

jjbhonn

Founder likes this post

Back to top Go down

New Bullseye shooters? - Page 2 Empty Re: New Bullseye shooters?

Post by SaraiEsq Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:43 am

chiz1180 wrote:

A few other things that can help:
-ditch the elitist attitude
-don't bad mouth the other shooting disciplines
-stop equipment shaming (calling glocks junk for example)

Equipment shaming is not nice.  It can make both you and your pistol feel inadequate.

I was chatting with a rifle guy in a gun store one time.  He had, at one time, been a "professional" high power rifle competitor, by which he meant that he had sponsors and basically got $$$ equipment and such for free to go shoot in matches all over the world.  When I told him I used a Ruger Mark IV Target pistol for competition, he insulted my pistol, implying that it was just above a broken water pistol in terms of quality.  (I can't remember the exact phrase he used.)  I don't have too many illusions about my Ruger, but it is a solid pistol for someone of my experience and skill level.  I'm far from outshooting it, lol.

So, yes, don't equipment shame.
SaraiEsq
SaraiEsq

RodJ and shanneba like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Mon Aug 19, 2024 6:17 pm

That Ruger will easily take you to Master and beyond! Like they say, it's not the gun...keep working on the skill and simply ignore the noise!Very Happy
TonyH
TonyH

djperry2 and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Mon Aug 19, 2024 9:35 pm

chiz1180 wrote:
Wobbley wrote:A suggestion to implement it.   

Require Tablet/smartphone from each competitor, if the person does not have a tab/phone they can rent one for a $25.00 deposit with $20 returned at the end of the day.  Use your base computer as a Wi-Fi hotspot.  Have scores put in by a program and emailed to your base computer via something like an app like Bullseye Match.  Connect the tablets to your base system each morning .  

The $5 takes care of the maintenance fees and tablet replacement…the $25 deposit is about right to a) encourage people to get their own, and prevent pilferage. Use older tablets that are cheaper.  The functionality needed is minimal.  Just Bullseye Match app, email,and minimal operational items. 

Otherwise the competitor can pull the target and replace them each time.  I have found than marksmen (those who get impacts needing pasters) can really slow the scoring time while they paste all those holes.  So reface with a full face if more than one paster is needed.
As I have plenty of time to maintain a small network of machines on top of everything else going on. I have done the network administrator thing, got the t-shirt. It would only take one failure for the system to not work, I would rather spend match time shooting than playing network engineer while someone waits for their device to get fixed/work correctly. 

The only downside to paper is it can get tricky when wet, but I doubt too many people would volunteer their phone/ tablet to get wet either. 

Some things are better kept simple.

Yeah, once I can figure out how to get this herd of cats to be able to write the Arabic numerals 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, and 9 legibly on a piece of paper, then I might graduate to a more “minimal” electronic system.

Still waiting…
john bickar
john bickar

John Dervis likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG Tue Aug 20, 2024 10:16 pm

Wobbley wrote:With today’s 15 second attention span, a better approach would be to create a 15-20 second ad with images of 10m and 25m shooters and assorted Bullseye shooters in snippets.  Showing them having fun and being serious.  You have 4-5 seconds per image.  Start with the Turk air pistol guy image.  Narration says “this guy was identified as ‘cool’.  Yup we are”. Then show people shooting pistols at 50 & 25 , then say “Just how cool is that?”

Compared to 1000 yards with iron sights... ???

Yeah, the Turk dude is cool ... my financial manager asked  me to pose for a picture with my air pistol  to post on her SM ... not S&M ... Social Media ... site ...

She thinks there's some physical resemblance between us .  Me and him ...not me and her ... I told her he's better looking, less grey hair, and likely taller... appears he's aiming downwards at a 10M target ... Embarassed Smile Cool Cool Cool Cool

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG Tue Aug 20, 2024 10:19 pm

As for that 'Bickar' dude ...

My life's goal at this point is...

A herd of cats....

Seriously. I love these little guys....

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Thu Aug 22, 2024 5:00 pm

Simple is nice but getting help is hard

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Thu Aug 22, 2024 5:42 pm

john bickar wrote:
jareds06 wrote:use social media like youtube to get the word out about bullseye and traditional shooting sports.

Jared, you obviously neglected to notice how damn old I am. Apparently my charm and rugged good looks belie my age. Laughing

I'm about 15 years too old for YouTube, and about 30 years too old for TikTok.

Holy Crap John, I still think of you as a kid! Where does that put me?

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:47 pm

Colt711 wrote:Holy Crap John, I still think of you as a kid! Where does that put me?

Next to me on the firing line at Camp Perry once again next year if we both play our cards right. Get your quarters out.

You know I cut my teeth with old men that play with real money.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2