Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RRA Bullseye rib with adj. sights

+3
Wobbley
chiz1180
kohlerpartsgod
7 posters

Go down

RRA Bullseye rib with adj. sights Empty RRA Bullseye rib with adj. sights

Post by kohlerpartsgod 8/23/2024, 3:28 pm

I am considering changing the rib on my backup BE gun. I would like the option to use it as an open sight gun. 

Pros or Cons??

What types of optics can I use? I have an Aimpoint on a Kodiak mount, judging by the photos I don't think that will fit. I do have other Ultradot's I could use. 

Is the sight picture good? 

Is it heavy? 

Thanks for your replies.

kohlerpartsgod

Back to top Go down

RRA Bullseye rib with adj. sights Empty Re: RRA Bullseye rib with adj. sights

Post by chiz1180 8/23/2024, 3:33 pm

Pros: ability for both dots and metallic with the same gun
Cons: It is steel, so it is a bit heavy. If you want gun to be dual purpose for EIC you need to remove weight from somewhere to make the 45oz with a magazine  Rule 4.1.1 j). Also depending on your optic you would probably want to consider different recoil springs when running an optic vs not. 

If it were aluminum I would probably have one on a gun.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 8/23/2024, 4:49 pm

I don’t have a Kodiak mount, but I believe they are nearly identical in size as the typical AIMPOINT H1 mounts so here goes: you should be able to mount your dot forward of the ejection port and there’s a 90% (IMO) chance of being able to mount it on the rear notch just behind the ejection port.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

jglenn21 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 8/23/2024, 4:52 pm

Wobbley wrote:I don’t have a Kodiak mount, but I believe they are nearly identical in size as the typical AIMPOINT H1 mounts so here goes: you should be able to mount your dot forward of the ejection port and there’s a 90% (IMO) chance of being able to mount it on the rear notch just behind the ejection port.

Forgot about the Kodiak mount bit, but it is designed to slide on the rail, can't do that with the front sight or rear sight.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid 8/23/2024, 6:45 pm

I have the RRA sight rib without the adjustable sights on it on my wad gun and a Aimpoint H-2 mounted to it no issues the mount is the one that came with the Aimpoint sight. It is a lower profile than the Clark rib.
                                                                                                                           Skid

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman 8/23/2024, 6:50 pm

I use the RRA combo rail on my ballgun. Love it. But it is heavy. I think it's a great iron sights option, but I wouldn't try to run an optic on it. The aluminum version without the sights is pretty cheap. Just get both, and run your aimpoint/kodiak on the non-combo rail. 

Alternatively, I think you could probably run a 1" ultradot on the combo rail without too many issues. Straddles the ejection port, still quite light weight.

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 8/23/2024, 11:39 pm

Or...I'm thinking, just thinking...would it be possible to make an aluminum rib and install an adjustable sight right on it? Probably LPA, not BoMar, because of the adjusting screw...hmmmm....

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 8/24/2024, 9:36 am

javaduke wrote:Or...I'm thinking, just thinking...would it be possible to make an aluminum rib and install an adjustable sight right on it? Probably LPA, not BoMar, because of the adjusting screw...hmmmm....
Yes it would be possible with the LPA. Think marvel combo rail.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 8/24/2024, 10:50 am

kohlerpartsgod wrote:Is it heavy? 

Thanks for your replies.
CMP upped the weight rule to 45 oz. IIRC, that was to facilitate the use of the Combo rib. You might want to search here about actual measured weights (pistol + rib + magazine) that some folks have published. It was in the Spring when the new rules came out.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 8/24/2024, 10:59 am

tovaert wrote:
kohlerpartsgod wrote:Is it heavy? 

Thanks for your replies.
CMP upped the weight rule to 45 oz. IIRC, that was to facilitate the use of the Combo rib. You might want to search here about actual measured weights (pistol + rib + magazine) that some folks have published. It was in the Spring when the new rules came out.
Not all 1911 frames are the same weight. Depending on frame, guide rod, ect. you can easily go over weight with the rock river combo rib.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman 8/24/2024, 12:23 pm

My 2018 vintage rock river arms 1911 with the combo rail was over 45 oz. out of the box. In order to make weight with a metalform mag, I needed to swap in an aluminum mainspring housing.

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down