Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

.22 rimfire pistols for bullseye and cmp

+5
Tim:H11
Arthur
RoyDean
Wobbley
Fogbank2
9 posters

Go down

.22 rimfire pistols for bullseye and cmp Empty .22 rimfire pistols for bullseye and cmp

Post by Fogbank2 8/24/2024, 8:36 pm

I have been searching for an upgrade pistol for .22 lr to replace my Buckmark Contour. The Hammerlie 208s is out of production so that is not a choice. From my research the leaves S&W 41, Pardini Bulleyes edition and  Walther. Can anyone make a recommendation for my next .22lr?
Thank you
AGG

Fogbank2

Back to top Go down

.22 rimfire pistols for bullseye and cmp Empty Re: .22 rimfire pistols for bullseye and cmp

Post by Wobbley 8/24/2024, 9:58 pm

You can still find decent used 208 pistols out there but parts are becoming a bit scarce.  Pardini is a great choice as is the S&W41.  One you didn’t mention was a 1911 conversion.  Buy a dedicated lower and with 6months to work any kinks out (if any) you’d have a top drawer Bullseye 22.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

bruce martindale, kc.crawford.7 and Fogbank2 like this post

Back to top Go down

.22 rimfire pistols for bullseye and cmp Empty Re: .22 rimfire pistols for bullseye and cmp

Post by RoyDean 8/24/2024, 10:17 pm

Google "FCW" (Frerking Custom Works) for Marvel 1911 conversions, Travis sells complete guns, which are excellent, uppers and all of the parts.

Larry Nelson in Phoenix produces similar Marvel style conversions (Nelson Custom Guns - I think).

The two brands each have their followers, but, overall, both seem to get good results.

Another popular choice in a similar price range is the Hammerli Xesse (also sold previously as the Trailside, I think). Red Feather Outfitters in Ohio sell them, amongst others.

RoyDean

bruce martindale, shanneba, jareds06 and Fogbank2 like this post

Back to top Go down

.22 rimfire pistols for bullseye and cmp Empty Thank you for the recommendation

Post by Fogbank2 8/24/2024, 10:46 pm

RoyDean wrote:Google "FCW" (Frerking Custom Works) for Marvel 1911 conversions, Travis sells complete guns, which are excellent, uppers and all of the parts.

Larry Nelson in Phoenix produces similar Marvel style conversions (Nelson Custom Guns - I think).

The two brands each have their followers, but, overall, both seem to get good results.

Another popular choice in a similar price range is the Hammerli Xesse (also sold previously as the Trailside, I think). Red Feather Outfitters in Ohio sell them, amongst others.

Fogbank2

Arthur likes this post

Back to top Go down

.22 rimfire pistols for bullseye and cmp Empty Thank you for the conversion suggestion, had not thought of that.

Post by Fogbank2 8/24/2024, 10:48 pm

Wobbley wrote:You can still find decent used 208 pistols out there but parts are becoming a bit scarce.  Pardini is a great choice as is the S&W41.  One you didn’t mention was a 1911 conversion.  Buy a dedicated lower and with 6months to work any kinks out (if any) you’d have a top drawer Bullseye 22.

Fogbank2

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthur 8/25/2024, 6:10 am

https://www.champchoice.com/disc-hammerli-x-esse-sport-sf-22lr-pistol-right-ha-2870266us

They have reduced the price. It's a good gun I recommend it, for whatever that's worth. 

Best, 
Arthur

Arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 8/25/2024, 8:48 am

The 208, though discontinued, is still a very good target arm. Parts are scarce but they are being reproduced by a couple individuals on a small scale. Not like a company would mass produce and market them. I believe Jon Shue is making some parts that are likely to break for a 208. Maybe an extractor.. maybe a firing pin..?? Don’t quote me on that part. Call him to find out.

The Xesses, or pistols of the like are more of a modern affordable choice over the 208. “Poor man’s 208” is a term that is often used but really they’re good guns in their own right. Like pretty much any option you’ll want the trigger done over by a professional.

A Ruger is a great gun once the trigger is overhauled by someone who knows what they’re doing. Ruger MKI and amKII shoot pretty good. MKIII I would rebarrel or reline, and I don’t know much about the newer MKIV

An older High Standard can be a good choice. Just have a trigger job done and track down some magazines that work. I would not buy the Texas built model… that’s just me.

A S&W is a formidable target arm. Newer ones might be okay. Older ones are great but they will need a tune up. For example my old one, it’s bolt finally shot loose and I replaced it which requires a little fit work.

A pardini is an excellent pistol but the angle of the grip is something very different.

If you shoot 22 only there are plenty of options but if you shoot 45 too then a .22 conversion unit is (in my humble opinion) a very wise choice. You get a lot of trigger time on the 1911 frame without the cost of 45 ammo. And they’re accurate to compete with and they work when the lower and upper is sprung up for your ammo.

This is a niche sport and we require a gun that is accurate and reliable and one that feels pleasing to the user for a good interface between shooter and equipment. Your choice will likely (or should) be one based on personal preference. There are others too that I did not list but realistically pistol manufacturers aren’t making rimfire guns for bullseye so we as shooters have to weed out what works and doesn’t.

kc.crawford.7, dieselguy624, SW-52, Olde Pilot, Hawkja, Dpswift, DA/SA and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 8/25/2024, 5:09 pm

I have an S&W model 41 and am quite happy with it, mine has a decent trigger and is reliable.  There are a lot of comments on forums regarding the Model 41's and they seem to come in two versions. The first version is like mine and works well and is very accurate.  The second version is finicky and does not always function well. I think most of the time the model 41's that have issues the problem is either the extractor, old recoil spring or a rough chamber.  Good luck with your search

troystaten

targetbarb likes this post

Back to top Go down

.22 rimfire pistols for bullseye and cmp Empty High Standard Target Pistols

Post by alaronstein 8/25/2024, 9:18 pm

A newly manufactured "X-Series" High Standard made at the Houston TX plant or a CT High Standard that is in good serviceable condition will out perform ALL of the afore mentioned pistols !!! It amazes me that no one mentioned one of the MOST widely used Bullseye Pistols. I observed BUT did NOT count the actual numbers of High Standard Pistols being used on the line at Camp Perry this year. I estimate that they were in the largest percentages !!!- Alan Aronstein

alaronstein

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Bill 8/26/2024, 12:34 am

Oberle has the Hammerli's on sale too:

https://oberleenterprises.com/product-category/firearms/target-pistol/

Dr.Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 8/26/2024, 6:58 pm

alaronstein wrote:A newly manufactured "X-Series" High Standard made at the Houston TX plant or a CT High Standard that is in good serviceable condition will out perform ALL of the afore mentioned pistols !!! It amazes me that no one mentioned one of the MOST widely used Bullseye Pistols. I observed BUT did NOT count the actual numbers of High Standard Pistols being used on the line at Camp Perry this year. I estimate that they were in the largest percentages !!!- Alan Aronstein

From what I could tell.. the Hammerli 208/Exesse, Pardini , and a .22 1911 conversion were the most popular pistols amongst most shooters with 41’s and High Standards sprinkled in. The most widely used entry level gun out there was some sort of Ruger. But again this is just what I noticed at Perry myself. And it’s what I regularly notice at the other matches I travel to.

chiz1180 and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 8/26/2024, 7:17 pm

In regards to the typical suspects of options, all that really needs to be said has been. Lots of good options are available. My recommendation would be to try different options before you buy. I have shot almost all the options mentioned in this thread, they each have their own thing that may be appealing to you. 

I strongly would recommend something that is in current production.
chiz1180
chiz1180

dieselguy624 and Tim:H11 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down