Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(re)Training

4 posters

Go down

(re)Training Empty (re)Training

Post by straybrit Yesterday at 12:10 am

So - now that I am the owner/operator of a hopefully stable and operating right eye (it's a long story) I thought I'd try and get the remaining 2 distinguished badges (SP & SR) that I don't already have. Given that I effectively had about 16 months not shooting and I haven't seriously shot iron sights for a long time it became very clear very early that I needed to more or less start from scratch. The 2 matches I've done I barely managed a sharpshooter score.
I've got (and read) the Marine manual and the AMU one they hand out at Perry. I've also reviewed a lot of Ed Hall's and Cecil's posts herein.
This is what I've come up with as a program - I offer it up here for comment and feedback.

Assume dry firing every day with service pistol or revolver. Air pistol on the days I'm not live firing. Best case would be range every other day but in reality it will be 2-3 a week.

Start point - 22 conversion set up as near as possible like the service pistol.
1. Single shots until I put the whole magazine (i.e. 5 consecutive shots) in the black.
2. Pyramid.
3. 5 shot groups, reverting to 4 if I miss one, until I can put 6 groups all in the black. None of this is timed.
4. Use audio prompts (no turning targets) to do timed fire - until I can put 4 strings in the black
5. Repeat for rapid fire.
The untimed section to be repeated every session until it seems that I have the new muscle memory and my grip is stable through a whole group. Right now, unless I focus on it,  I'm gripping harder as I'm trying to force the sights back in line instead of it falling back. Then maybe reduce it and concentrate on the timed / rapid.

At some point in there I need to add the long line.

I should point out that I haven't got anywhere near completing this. I've got to 3 groups on stage 3.

On alternate sessions do the same for revolver. 

Once I can do the 22 to completion then repeat that with the 45.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Derek

straybrit

Back to top Go down

(re)Training Empty Re: (re)Training

Post by Outthere Yesterday at 9:42 am

Buy these books: 

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullseye-ebook-here-s-how

https://mentalmanagement.com/products/with-winning-in-mind

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/bullseye-mind-book/Books-CDs-and-DVDs
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick Yesterday at 10:06 am

My program loosely was;
-live fire when I could,
-dry fire when I couldn't
-exercise when I didn't feel focused enough for dry fire
-study training books or the rules when I didn't feel like exercise

Position relevant materials up so they are as easy to access as practical.  IE; a grip trainer in a box somewhere won't get used, but leave it on the desk and it will.

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Yesterday at 3:45 pm

Bullseye pistol shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head! Seriously though, once the physical strength and stamina is achieved, the rest is trigger control and mental control. The destination is the same. The roads traveled can be different. I like the "keep it positive" theory.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Allan Campbell and DA/SA like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down