Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Contest advice

5 posters

Go down

Contest advice Empty Contest advice

Post by JHHolliday Today at 4:16 pm

(not sure if this should be in fundamentals, but the question is related to competition psychology)

My local range is holding a bullseye-esque contest.  For the month of October, shooters can buy a pumpkin target ($5, which goes to charity) and take 6 centerfire shots over 30 seconds.  You can shoot as many targets as you want, and the smallest group at the end of the month wins a 1-year "deluxe" membership.

Last week I shot a good target (though I can shoot better).  The RSOs thought it was the best one so far and said "everyone will be shooting for you".  The range posts the targets like wallpaper, and when I go next week I could look (or ask) if anyone bested mine yet.  Competition makes me nervous, not to mention the RSO standing there with a timer. Options:

1. I could ask, and if I find out out someone did better I will be under a lot of pressure if I try again  
2. I could try to NOT find out, but just shoot again to possibly improve the group and possibly surpass a new leader
3. Ask, and if I'm still in front don't shoot again

Suggestions?
JHHolliday
JHHolliday

john bickar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Contest advice Empty Re: Contest advice

Post by mspingeld Today at 4:29 pm

If you're interested in shooting bullseye, shoot it again (and again and again). Consider it traning for dealing with match pressure.

mspingeld
Admin

john bickar, John Dervis and djperry2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Today at 5:37 pm

Ah, what a great question!

I could write a book on this.

I vote #1. What a delicious opportunity to put yourself under artificial pressure for something that doesn't really matter and just see how you do.

You might shoot well. You might not. You'll definitely learn something.

Keep notes in your journal.

Step up to the line and shoot a better group the next opportunity that you get. Bury the rest of those fools.

Last edited by john bickar on 10/17/2024, 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Today at 5:41 pm

(I've been advised by my teammates that my "stomp on their f*cking throats" competitive approach is not one that is shared by all Bullseye shooters.)
john bickar
john bickar

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by djperry2 Today at 6:07 pm

That sounds like a great contest, especially if you support that charity.
I would lean toward option #2. That would be the best way to minimize your pressure. Most of us have learned that we are only competing against ourselves, trying to do our best each time we shoot.

The fee is only $5. Call it a donation and shoot your best every time you can until the contest is over.
Have the attitude that if you win, celebrate. If someone else wins, celebrate for them.

At the end of the contest remember it was for a good cause. You did your best and hopefully learned more about shooting and improved your score each time.

Good luck,
Darrell

djperry2

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Today at 6:58 pm

What they are running is a “re-entry” match.  You pay the fee to buy the target, shoot and get a result.  Each result stands on its own.  So, my advice is to enter often and try to improve on YOUR performance.  If you do you only improve your chances.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Dan Webb likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JHHolliday Today at 8:30 pm

Great advice all, thank you (and another example of how good this group is).  I especially liked:

"Have the attitude that if you win, celebrate. If someone else wins, celebrate for them" and "Bury the rest of those fools" (which would be my inclination if I had anything like John's skills)  Twisted Evil

Though I've not competed in pistol I did compete in benchrest for several years, including the USARB Nationals in 2016.  Match nerves were always my nemesis, and at club matches the expectation I would always win made it worse over time.  The better I got, the more anxious the matches.  Though nerves don't ruin benchrest like they would pistol hold, it does affect the skills needed to win matches (flag reading, patience, timing, mindfulness).

This also relates to the other "Are You Having Fun" thread. Even though the stakes were never important, shooting BR matches was, for me, quite stressful, and the amount and duration of intense concentration pretty exhausting.  Matches were not fun to shoot, but very fun to win, and that was the apple.

Back to this contest, the prize doesn't help.  Only the top group wins (though all cards will be in a lottery for free ammo), and the "Deluxe" membership runs $1200(!).  Though I don't need all that it includes, my basic membership is up this month - so winning will save $$.  That and bragging rights adds to the pressure.

Add to the mix my age (69), and that almost all the other shooters are way younger and steadier.

In any case, as you point out, there is nothing to lose* by shooting more groups.  Next visit I will see how I'm shooting and if my practice is OK I will shoot more pumpkins.

Thanks again!

JHH

*except a few more brain cells
JHHolliday
JHHolliday

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down