Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Choosing correct recoil spring weight

3 posters

Go down

Choosing correct recoil spring weight Empty Choosing correct recoil spring weight

Post by rlabbe Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:10 am

How does one choose the correct spring rate for a 1911? I bought the Wolf kit with springs in 1/2 lb increments. I have installed (if I remember correctly) the 12lb spring, and I'm getting no failures. Cases are going maybe a foot past the gun when ejected. I've read 'don't let the gun batter itself to pieces' but being new to the 1911 that's a bit hard to judge. Do you just install heavier and heavier springs until you start getting malfunctions and back off a half pound or so, or do you judge by how forcefully the cases are flung away, or ??? Any help appreciated.

rlabbe

Back to top Go down

Choosing correct recoil spring weight Empty Re: Choosing correct recoil spring weight

Post by Cort Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:41 pm

I keep increasing the spring weight until the gun no longer locks open after the last round but works perfectly otherwise. Sometimes I leave that spring in and sometimes I use a slightly lighter spring.

Cort

Cort

Back to top Go down

Choosing correct recoil spring weight Empty Re: Choosing correct recoil spring weight

Post by rlabbe Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:08 am

Okay, thanks, I'll try that.

rlabbe

Back to top Go down

Choosing correct recoil spring weight Empty I use the Info from the Wolff spring site

Post by Art Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:26 pm

I use Wolff's recomendation:

http://www.gunsprings.com/faq

3. What weight recoil spring should I use with a particular load?
This is a very common but hard question to answer in exact terms and in most cases an exact answer is not possible. There are many factors which influence the correct weight recoil spring to use. These factors include the particular ammunition brand and load, individual pistol characteristics, individual shooting styles and your individual, subjective feeling of how the gun shoots and should feel.

The factory spring weight is designed to operate the pistol with what would be considered average loads, plus or minus a little. It is not uncommon for manufacturers to specify what they consider a factory ammunition load.
In general terms, the heaviest recoil spring that will allow the pistol to function reliably is the best choice - tempered by the above factors. As a rule of thumb, if your spent casings are first hitting the ground in the 3 to 6 foot range, then the recoil spring is approximately correct. If you are ejecting beyond the 6-8 foot range, then a heavier recoil spring is generally required. If your casings are ejecting less than 3 feet, a lighter recoil spring may be needed to assure reliable functioning.

Taking these factors into consideration, it then comes down to how the gun feels and performs when shooting - in your judgment. However, using too light a recoil spring can result in damage to the pistol and possible injury to you.

Art

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down