Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marvel Unit 1 - which magazines?

+5
Jon Eulette
Black_Talon
dronning
STEVE SAMELAK
caminod
9 posters

Go down

Marvel Unit 1 - which magazines? Empty Marvel Unit 1 - which magazines?

Post by caminod Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:18 pm

I recently purchased a used non-lockback Unit 1 that came with one magazine.  Marvel's answer is 'don't have any and don't know when we will'.  I've been digging around on here trying to find out which magazines will actually work and found some mentions but, no confirmed listing of compatibles.

Is that information available or can someone come up with a definitive list?

Thanks in advance.

Dale

caminod

Back to top Go down

Marvel Unit 1 - which magazines? Empty Re: Marvel Unit 1 - which magazines?

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:22 pm

I have been using both Kimber & GSG mags in mine with no issues
CDNN has had the GSG mags for 19.99 each
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:41 pm

I run ProMag in my Marvel Unit 1, it's the only one I can get to work without issues.  I bought a bunch on sale for $14.99 and they all work just fine!

Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Black_Talon Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:40 pm

I run the GSG mags in my Unit 1. They all work great out of the box with no futzing around required.
Black_Talon
Black_Talon

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:10 pm

Another consideration with the Marvel is the actual feeding into the chamber of the cartridge. Many mags sit too low in the frame (even though they function reliably) and deform the bullet during chambering. I prefer COLT mags. I use the EGW .040" higher mag release and seat the mags higher for straight in feeding. I have to trim the feed lips down for clearance of the slide and slightly bend forward feed lips in to hold cartridge. Sometimes have to slightly bend the bottom of the mag to allow full seating into the frame. I get 100% reliability and no deformation of the bullet. I don't like how loose the rounds fit the GSG and you have to pull the slide to the rear and release for 100% feeding. I've used the PROMAG after altering like the Colt mags and it works great, but you have to pull the slide to the rear to feed 1st round.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:40 am

GSG mags are what marvel sells as there own, they add a piece of metal to the ones for lock back, you can buy all the gsg mags you want on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=1911+gun+parts&_sop=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1911+gsg+mags.TRS0&_nkw=1911+gsg+mags&_sacat=0
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ OR Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:46 am

Advantage Arms (AA) polymer conversion magazines are all I use with my Marvel & AA on an old Kimber lower and a Mil-spec lower. Try them-you'll like them! -- CMC Gov supply-$19.99. A search might find them for even less.
I'm thinking the AAs might-maybe work in other conversions too. - 
Note: They are a tight fit and might require some filing (easy to do) to drop free of some frames (like my Mil-spec).The ones of mine that I've filed still work perfectly in both frames.    My experience-YMMV.    --- Russ

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:02 pm

GSG's have worked flawlessly in my Springfield lower.
YMMV

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:04 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Another consideration with the Marvel is the actual feeding into the chamber of the cartridge. Many mags sit too low in the frame (even though they function reliably) and deform the bullet during chambering. I prefer COLT mags. I use the EGW .040" higher mag release and seat the mags higher for straight in feeding. I have to trim the feed lips down for clearance of the slide and slightly bend forward feed lips in to hold cartridge. Sometimes have to slightly bend the bottom of the mag to allow full seating into the frame. I get 100% reliability and no deformation of the bullet. I don't like how loose the rounds fit the GSG and you have to pull the slide to the rear and release for 100% feeding. I've used the PROMAG after altering like the Colt mags and it works great, but you have to pull the slide to the rear to feed 1st round.
Jon

I had a very similar issue.  My lower needed the higher mag catch but I didn't trim the feed lips.  Since changing to the GSG mags all feeding issues disappeared.
I think most of the Marvels need the bottom of the chamber mouth chamfered,  mine had virtually none.  After doing this myself I no longer had bullet deformation,  or shaved lead, when the action cycles.  I had occasional flyers but that ended after this simple modification.  I got the idea after looking at other target 22s.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down