Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red Dot on the Slide

+2
DavidR
larvatus
6 posters

Go down

Red Dot on the Slide Empty Red Dot on the Slide

Post by larvatus 1/23/2015, 10:04 am

Please report your experience with slide-mounted red dot sights. I am particularly interested in shock resistance and maintenance of the point of aim.
larvatus
larvatus

http://larvatus.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Red Dot on the Slide Empty Re: Red Dot on the Slide

Post by DavidR 1/23/2015, 10:37 am

Slide mounted dots drop the dot lower and closer to the bore line than most frame mounts, as to advantages of one over the other its a toss up, slide mount will require a more powerful load and lighter recoil springs than a frame mounted gun. Both work well and maintain zero if you use a quality dot like ultradot or aimpoint. A slide mount will absorb some of the recoil, but a much lighter load can be used with a frame mount so recoil is about the same.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gitkrunk 1/23/2015, 7:15 pm

Check out what kc Crawford has done with slide mount. Once I get to the point of a dot he will be the phone I contact
gitkrunk
gitkrunk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 1/23/2015, 9:25 pm

Larvatus,

I've been using this scope base http://www.marvelcustomguns.com/1911_old_bo-mar.htm
under a 1" Ultradot with the factory rings on my Springfield Loaded Target 1911. Because of the target sight cuts, there are only 3 screws to attach the rib to the slide.  I don't use loc-tite on the base screws or the rings and shot thousands of rounds without losing zero.  The ultradot has a lifetime warranty, but I've never needed the warranty.  The extra weight slows the slide down and makes the recoil feel more like a S&W model 52 recoil.

I milled the mount out so I could mount the rail over my iron sights without moving my irons.  The fit of this rail and the amount of contact area makes it so I can unbolt the scope and rail, change the recoil springs, shoot a match with Iron sights, and bolt the scope and rail back on and the zero has never been more than a click or 2 off after bolting it back on.

I prefer the slide mount over frame mount.  I like the softer/slower recoil feeling better than with a frame mount.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by knightimac 1/23/2015, 10:03 pm

Rarely had any issues losing zero with slide mounted red dot on a 45.  I have a basic ultradot on both my .22 and 45.  Even though I've successfully used millets and simmons, I do think the utltradot's claim as having less aiming error is true since I've been using them for awhile now.

Good rings on your red dot are also helpful.  Ware Rings are espeically good.  I use blue loctite on weaver rail screws and dot screws.  My rail contacts the rear sight and is slotted around the front sight for an extra secure mount.

I've had dot come loose only one time during since April 2014 after shooting a weekly outdoor league of 2 NMCs, practice by myself once per week and 4 2700s and now indoor league of 2 NMCs per week. I got over zealous with cleaning using hoppes slopping it all over.

With practice and a good grip on the gun, the 45 with slide mounted dot seems to come right back on target for me.  YMMV.

I do find that I need a little more powder to make my springfield run well with dot on slide.  4.2 bullseye with 200 gr swc with standard 16# spring.  Of course you can load lighter if you change out stock spring.

I hope this helps.
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Post by knightimac 1/24/2015, 10:54 am

Red Dot on the Slide Photo_13
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Post by knightimac 1/24/2015, 10:56 am

Red Dot on the Slide Photo_15
knightimac
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe L 1/25/2015, 8:47 pm

I have two Burris Fast Fires, one on a P-09 CZ 9mm slide using a Slaughter Precision mount and another on a new CZ-97 that came off of a 22.  I put 6k rounds through the P-09 gun with the Burris mounted on the slide in 2014 with no issues whatsoever and no zero shift.  I put the one from the 22 on the 97 a couple of weeks ago, only 500 rounds so far, but it is fine.  I put a new Ultradot HD on the 22 and it is small enough that it COULD be mounted in a dovetail mount in place of the Burris FF III, but no need to do so right now as I like the Burris just fine. 

Red Dot on the Slide P1164114-M 

I don't expect to have any problems with the .45 and red dot.

Joe

Joe L

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down