Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introduction

+2
BE Mike
Aprilian
6 posters

Go down

Introduction Empty Introduction

Post by Aprilian 5/13/2016, 11:01 pm

I shot a little as a kid and a little when I lived out west, but probably way less than 500 rounds combined.   My dad passed away 6 months ago and my mom asked me to sell all his guns.  I agreed to do that if I could keep the first one he had ever bought new, a 1964 FN Target (a Browning Challenger in US) which he purchased in London, UK where we lived.

When we came to the US the FN travelled on Dad's lap in his briefcase with the ammo under the seat - all which was OK before a guy with the initials DBC took up parachuting!
 lol!  
I have all of Dad's original paperwork for the pistol including sales receipt and UK gun license, both which refer to the other.  It took a month to get up to me in MN, but I've gone to the range almost every week since then and been diligent in practice (working on grip, trigger control, aiming, etc.).  I bought a lot of parts for it and am making a second barrel and slide into a set up with a match dot 2, using a Leopuld one-piece mount.

In the interim I have a Browning Buckmark Pro Target Field with a match dot. I have installed a Volquartsen hammer, a Tandemkross trigger and polished all the trigger/disconnector parts and frame contact points. 

I was kindly invited to a local range this weekend to observe how a bullseye match goes and shoot the 2nd 900 with the Buckmark.  I think I have a new hobby.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Introduction Empty Re: Introduction

Post by BE Mike 5/14/2016, 9:59 am

Good deal. Great history on the pistol. My only gripe with Browning is that they changed magazines frequently on their .22 pistols and finding older ones can be troublesome.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by ChipEck 5/14/2016, 10:12 am

Not sure where in Minnesota you live but Oakdale gun club is one heck of a nice gun club.  They have outdoor bullseye matches throughout the summer.

Chip
ChipEck
ChipEck

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 5/14/2016, 11:06 am

BE Mike wrote:Good deal. Great history on the pistol. My only gripe with Browning is that they changed magazines frequently on their .22 pistols and finding older ones can be troublesome.
Yep, I now have 6 of the early Buckmark and 5 of the Challenger magazines.   Took a fair amount of searching to find them and I had to ignore the prices, knowing they would only increase if I waited.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 5/14/2016, 11:08 am

ChipEck wrote:Not sure where in Minnesota you live but Oakdale gun club is one heck of a nice gun club.  They have outdoor bullseye matches throughout the summer.

Chip
Close enough to check it out.   That is where I have been invited to watch/try a match.   You local?
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid 5/16/2016, 9:23 pm

http://mrra.org/downloads/bullseye/2016MNRegionalProgram.pdf

This is always a really fun match. There will be shooters from Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and North Dakota there. If all you have is a 22 pistol, you can shoot the entire 2700 and the EIC rimfire match with it. If you want to shoot the EIC service pistol and distinguished revolver, someone will certainly loan you a gun and ammo.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 5/16/2016, 9:48 pm

Aprilian wrote: .... It took a month to get up to me in MN, .....
I'm in Lakeville, MN on the south side of the cities.  My first bullesys experience was at the Oakdale bullseye clinic and I shot my Buckmark.  

Oakdale has a bullseye practice night every week in the summer - I think it is on Wednesdays 

Let me know if you need anything.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 5/16/2016, 9:55 pm

Thanks Ralph.  I was planning to go that day, but now have to be out of town that weekend.

Hi Dave,  Thanks for the offer.  I think I am currently set and am getting help from Wally Erickson, MRRA (also in Lakeville) and John Rahm, Oakdale member.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by BaldingEagle 5/17/2016, 10:38 am

Aprillian
I'm a FNG newbie myself.  I am so grateful for this forum  I get straight forward opinions, advice and answers to my newbie questions.  The members of this forum are the best I have seen.
So from one FNG to another I say welcome and good luck on your progress in our sport!!
Doug

BaldingEagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 5/17/2016, 10:58 am

Thanks Doug, I used to go to the MH AFB airshows when I lived in Boise.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by BaldingEagle 5/17/2016, 11:22 am

Ha!  Thats pretty cool!
Most people have no idea that this area even exist!  
I was stationed at Mountain Home AFB for 4 years.
All the best
Doug

BaldingEagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down