Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spotting Scope: Straight or Bent?

+2
DavidR
Froneck
6 posters

Go down

Spotting Scope: Straight or Bent? Empty Spotting Scope: Straight or Bent?

Post by Guest 8/27/2016, 6:29 am

I installed my Vortex Diamondback 20-60x60 spotting scope with an angled eyepiece into my Bullseye box. The angle seems to save a bit of neck strain (I'm 6'5"), but takes up most of the lower compartment on my Strong Box. What's your take on the pros and cons of a straight tube vs angled?

Last edited by YourHuckleberry on 8/27/2016, 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Spotting Scope: Straight or Bent? Empty Re: Spotting Scope: Straight or Bent?

Post by Froneck 8/27/2016, 6:53 am

I use Angle, forgot the brand but got it from Champions Shooters Supply at Perry. It's a somewhat compact version but works great. Checked it out on the stand they have with various scopes on it at Perry, liked what I seen, went inside and got me one!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8/27/2016, 2:19 pm

Froneck wrote:I use Angle, forgot the brand but got it from Champions Shooters Supply at Perry. It's a somewhat compact version but works great. Checked it out on the stand they have with various scopes on it at Perry, liked what I seen, went inside and got me one!

There is nothing like an in-store hands-on fondle fest to feel out a new piece of equipment to see if it's right for you. For some things mail order is just not good enough. When I got the scope I was first looking at an Alpen 20x60x80 (which is almost exactly the same size & shape of the Vortex), but when I looked through the eyepiece and saw how much brighter and sharper the Vortex Diamondback was I went ahead and got that instead. When I got it home it fit in the box just fine, but it does hog a lot of in-box real estate.

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 8/28/2016, 2:44 am

I like angle cause you don't have to move from your shooting stance to check the target, wouldn't use a straight at all for bullseye.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 8/28/2016, 4:43 am

I like angled. Because of the reasons posted above about not breaking stance. However I got a good deal on a straight scope when I needed another and I didn't have the coin to be picky. So I use a straight one right now. It does store easy than angled. Less to figure out. 

But in muzzleloading pistol I have to break stance to reload for every shot. So in slow fire for bullseye breaking stance a little isn't a big deal to me because I'm already used to it. I'm forced to learn my stance and be able to get into it like its second nature. Typically when I'm asked about stance I can't think of what I do unless I get into it first then think of what I just did then relay that to the person who asked me.
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by brad6ft7 8/31/2016, 2:07 am

I'm 6'7 I use an angled, I like the ones where you can rotate the angle in any direction like a NG20 or NG30. I would have to move around awkwardly to see through a straight or fixed angled scope.

brad6ft7

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 8/31/2016, 5:52 am

6'3" and had both.  I kept the angeled spotting scope.
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 8/31/2016, 5:56 am

Straight for me, but I am short, maybe the shortest man on the line, and don't have to break my position to use it. I simply lean my head over and check the scope. Heck other than at a Perry, I don't have to even tilt it above the box most if the time.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 9/1/2016, 7:35 pm

What a wonderful variety of humans we have in this sport. Vive la difference! (Also, look out for those little guys. They are the most dangerous ones!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 9/1/2016, 7:57 pm

Col. Walter Walsh was a short fella and shot mostly double action revolvers. Beware of the short legged men...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down