Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

arched mainspring housing

+2
jglenn21
orpheoet
6 posters

Go down

arched mainspring housing Empty arched mainspring housing

Post by orpheoet 12/28/2016, 8:19 pm

I mentioned in another thread that I bought an old Colt with the arched mainspring housing and I liked it. Put one on my EIC gun and it seems more stable under recoil. Well I just put one on my wad gun and it seems very promising. So whats the story with these. I've never noticed a preference for arched or not arched on the firing line. Personally it seems like the sights and dot line up more naturally with the arched housing.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

arched mainspring housing Empty Re: arched mainspring housing

Post by jglenn21 12/28/2016, 8:21 pm

Arched always felt better to me but  I shot the flat much better..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 12/28/2016, 8:33 pm

You shoot what works best for you. I liked the feel of an arched mainspring housing on my 22 Nelson (RO Frame) but I got a hold of a Wilson Combat V-Grip MSH and LOVE that one. Still like the arched with the 45 but not sure yet.
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 12/28/2016, 9:36 pm

jglenn21 wrote:Arched always felt better to me but  I shot the flat much better..
+1 on this.  The arched feels perfectly natural in my hand, but my scores also went down, and stayed down.  I gave it a chance to come back but it didn't.  Went back to flat and my scores went right back up the first match.  During a Zins clinic I asked Brian about this and he said he had the same experience.  I guess comfortable doesn't equal better scores.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet 12/29/2016, 4:53 am

Well I just made the switch but early results are good. Of course I won't really know until I use it in a match. I did put 50 shots Rapid Fire in the black with it and for me that's pretty good. Just another Expert, trying to make Master....
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 12/29/2016, 6:45 am

I've always believed that the flat housing was primarily a cosmetic thing.  Like a lot of us I shot flat housings for many years.  One day i realized that there was a void at the heel of my hand that a arched housing would fill.  Went to the V housing and never looked back.  Don't shoot like I did with the flat but then I'm 25 years older and don't work at it like I did then.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 12/29/2016, 9:42 am

The arched vs. flat housings will rotate the muzzle up or down, respectively.  This can aid in getting a natural sight alignment when the gun is raised into position.  If you find the front naturally sits a bit high with an arched housing, a flat housing can bring it down and vice versa.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down