Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sizing new .45 brass for the 50 yd line

+3
spursnguns
CR10X
farmboy
7 posters

Go down

Sizing new .45 brass for the 50 yd line Empty Sizing new .45 brass for the 50 yd line

Post by farmboy 2/8/2017, 6:28 am

Should one size brand new Starline .45 brass for ammo to be used at the 50yd line. Is it necessary?
Starline's web site indicates "Generally speaking, Starline cases require no resizing prior to loading 
.Due to variances in diameter of different bullet types, it is a good practice to size the case only as far 
down as the bullet seating depth."  

I use Zero bullets so Im thinking it is not really necessary - am I correct ?

Sorry if this is dumb question.
farmboy
farmboy

Back to top Go down

Sizing new .45 brass for the 50 yd line Empty Re: Sizing new .45 brass for the 50 yd line

Post by CR10X 2/8/2017, 7:14 am

Yes. Load like you'really going to be reloading the cases next time.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Sizing new .45 brass for the 50 yd line Empty Re: Sizing new .45 brass for the 50 yd line

Post by spursnguns 2/8/2017, 10:06 am

Hello farmboy,

I am surprised that Starline's website does not recommend sizing their new cases (with their one caveat).  I was pretty certain that in each box of new brass is a note stating that they "should" be sized.  I could be wrong but am not near my stash to confirm.  For what it is worth....I always full length size new cases.

Good luck.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 2/8/2017, 1:27 pm

spursnguns wrote:Hello farmboy,

I am surprised that Starline's website does not recommend sizing their new cases (with their one caveat).  I was pretty certain that in each box of new brass is a note stating that they "should" be sized.  I could be wrong but am not near my stash to confirm.  For what it is worth....I always full length size new cases.

Good luck.

Jim
+1
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by ric1911a1 2/8/2017, 1:33 pm

I always size and chamfer new cases.
ric1911a1
ric1911a1

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas 2/8/2017, 1:34 pm

CR10X wrote:Yes.  Load like you'really going to be reloading the cases next time.

The OP asked the question two different ways, and I'm not sure which one you're saying "yes" to.  

Are you saying "Yes, you need to resize new Starline brass", or are you saying "Yes, you're right, it is unnecessary to resize new Starline Brass"?

(Even your second sentence can be interpreted both ways, depending on where you put the emphasis... Are you saying "load them the first time, just like you are going to load them the next time" (i.e. you should resize them when new), or are you saying "you're only REALLY reloading the cases after the first time" (i.e. don't re-size them the first time)).  English is such a muddy way to communicate.

bdas

http://guns.dsttr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 2/8/2017, 5:06 pm

Ive done it both ways, i had falure to feed sometimes with unsized new starline, also bullseye accuracy is about consistancy, i couldn't guarantee every new case was the same out of the bag and wasnt willing to mic 500 cases. I can be sure those 500 are the same size after going thru my redding sizing die.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 2/8/2017, 6:53 pm

Should you resize any new brass.?
Yes you should.

Is it necessary?
Probably, but maybe not. So, why take chances or create loads that are not similar to what you are going to do next time?

So, load new brass just like you are reloading used brass except you probably don't need to clean it, but I do anyway. On the other hand I rarely use new brass.....

OK?

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 2/8/2017, 7:26 pm

one other thing about new brass, if you dont tumble it and i dont you do need to spray it with something like horndy case lube, it makes loading it so much easier.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down