Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Older or newer production ?

+4
jglenn21
fc60
zanemoseley
Multiracer
8 posters

Go down

Older or newer production ? Empty Older or newer production ?

Post by Multiracer Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:06 am

I have been looking at some S&W Model 52  pistols on line.
I gather this gun was manufactured in small numbers from the early sixties to the early nineties.
My question to you professionals Twisted Evil  is if I start looking to purchase which is better early or late production ?
TIA
Ron

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Older or newer production ? Empty Re: Older or newer production ?

Post by zanemoseley Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:00 pm

I would want a 52-2 with the new style extractor. Aside from that it's probably luck of the draw.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:04 pm

Greetings,

Consider parts availability.

The model 52 is similar to the model 39, as it is double-action capable.

The model 52-1 was made single-action only and shares a lot of the same parts as the model 52-2.

All three pistols use the same barrel so accuracy is limited to the person that assembled the pistol at the factory.

Smith & Wesson offer no parts for any of the model 52 pistols.

Numrich occasionally get old stock to sell and they move quickly.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:42 pm

the 52s were pretty much hand built at S&W. they even have the smith's mark on the frame(typically a letter).  many smiths built them for years at S&W..

honestly don't think S&W could produce them today. The 41 is an example of that... todays 41s are no where near the old ones.

if you get one,  start the quest for spare parts..Gunbroker and eBay.. My wife shoots a 52-1 which had the old style extractor.. it had a history of breaking them so I've acquired two new extractors for it, as well as, most all internal parts over the years.. even have a new barrel.

Of course I've never had an issue with her pistol.. Shocked  great little pistols
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:01 pm

A year or two ago we had a discussion about a Smith who built Model 52's for S&W. I think you can rest assured that he knew how to build a match pistol. I lucked out and had a pistol with his builders mark. Get any one you want as long as it has a "2" on the frame.  Laughing https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t5895-special-news-for-sw-model-52-owners?highlight=model+52+gunsmith

Older or newer production ? Dscf0811
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:11 pm

How nice to see this tread resurrected as I had the honor recently to see and talk with  "number 2" Eddie Mitchell again at Mid-Carolina Gun Club. What a guy!  At 90+ years of age, his stamina  in helping us score and generally being a fun guy all day in the heat makes me feel old. Just being at this match with Eddie and his son was another  special experience.

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:17 pm

Had to go look.  Mine has a 1 or what appears to be a 1 in that location.  Guess I need to be selling it. Not  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by hp246 Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:52 pm

LenV wrote:A year or two ago we had a discussion about a Smith who built Model 52's for S&W. I think you can rest assured that he knew how to build a match pistol. I lucked out and had a pistol with his builders mark. Get any one you want as long as it has a "2" on the frame.  Laughing https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t5895-special-news-for-sw-model-52-owners?highlight=model+52+gunsmith

Older or newer production ? Dscf0811
Thanks for sharing the old link.  I also had to go check my 52 no dash.  I have a 0 stamped.

hp246

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down