Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Different SWCHP and JHP loads with the same recoil spring?

4 posters

Go down

Different SWCHP and JHP loads with the same recoil spring? Empty Different SWCHP and JHP loads with the same recoil spring?

Post by JoeW Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:09 pm

I've been shooting JHPs on both the long and short lines and am considering switching to lead SWCHPs for the short line. A big part of my consideration is that I don't want to switch recoil springs during the match (I'm currently running a 14lb recoil spring that functions the gun beautifully with my 185gr JHPs using 4.1 VV N310 and a slide mounted Aimpoint).

My question is, how low could I go charge-wise with N310 or BE with the LSWCHPs and not need to change springs? Related, if I keep the same spring, will the new load make enough of a difference with felt recoil to justify loading them AND the JHPs? Any other ideas/things that I haven't considered? Welcome your thoughts!

JoeW

Back to top Go down

Different SWCHP and JHP loads with the same recoil spring? Empty Re: Different SWCHP and JHP loads with the same recoil spring?

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:33 pm

All pistols are not created equal Smile
You need to just experiment with your pistol and keep reducing load until your happy with your goal. Ejection pattern is what I typically look for. My pistols with slide mounted scopes are running 10# spring for 3.3 gr BE 200 gr lswc up to 3.8 gr BE with same bullet. Other pistols might use 12# spring for both or need a spring change. You just have to find out for yourself. No magic springs or loads out there. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Different SWCHP and JHP loads with the same recoil spring? Empty Re: Different SWCHP and JHP loads with the same recoil spring?

Post by Warhorse Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:24 am

I shoot 185gr LSWC loaded with 3.9gr of Bullseye, and 185gr JHP loaded with 4.5gr of Bullseye out of my Les Baer with a slide mounted optic and a 9# spring. both loads run, and shoot good.

Warhorse

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:35 am

The main spring and the firing pin stop (small or large radius) also impact the slides recoil speed. 
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down