Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marvel vs. Advantage Arms

+20
Schaumannk
DavidR
Historian1972
Tom Jadlos
Al
Pilot7576
grountree
Rob Kovach
alarmguy
hunter3705
rickbriggs
Jack H
Brassburnz
Colt711
Founder
Kimber-45
dan allen
Cort
Paper-Puncher
Swarfmonger
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Marvel vs. Advantage Arms Empty Marvel vs. Advantage Arms

Post by Swarfmonger 5/3/2012, 11:42 am

Hello folks,
I want to purchase a .22 conversion and was wondering which would be my best bet beetween a Marvel series 1 and the Advantage arms Target model? I want to start shooting bullseye and would like to get it right the first time. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Swarfmonger

Back to top Go down

Marvel vs. Advantage Arms Empty Re: Marvel vs. Advantage Arms

Post by Paper-Puncher 5/4/2012, 2:57 pm

Not having owned or shoot either myself to say which is better I cant....But my money would go to the marvel unit 1 if it was me.....simple reason marvel unit 1 has a accuracy gauretee and most guys that shoot 1911's for there .22 use the marvel on a dedicated frame for their BE shooting needs.....get the marvel and carry on.

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Cort 5/8/2012, 9:22 am

I own a Bob Marvel upgraded Advantage Arms and an original Marvel series 1. Both came with targets showing extremely good accuracy. I shoot them both but now tend to shoot the Marvel series 1 most of the time because I shoot it better. I believe this is due to having the steel scope rail on the Marvel series 1 so the balance is better. The Advantage Arms target is actually a bit better than the Marvel series 1.

The two units are similar in form and function. Both shoot very well and are extremely reliable. I thought the slide lock back on the Advantage Arms would be something that I would particularly like but, I find, that it really doesn't matter. If I were buying a new conversion unit today, I would buy another Marvel series 1 rather than a standard Advantage Arms. Once Bob Marvel gets his new conversion unit into production, then I am not sure what I would do.

Cort

Back to top Go down

Post by dan allen 5/8/2012, 5:42 pm

Original Marvel unit 1 is the one I see most among those who use a conversion. I have used one as my .22 for about 3 years and love it. The slide not locking back is a non issue.

dan allen

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimber-45 11/16/2012, 10:34 pm

Marvel over Advantage 10 to 1. Hands down. Advantage is just a plinker
Kimber-45
Kimber-45

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder 11/17/2012, 5:01 pm

I would have to agree the Marvel unit 1 is the better unit.

But my opinion may be biased. Laughing

I sell the Marvels, let me know if you want one and what options. I'll get you hooked up!
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 11/18/2012, 3:04 am

I have both. The AA is a Bob Marvel target version. Right now I would buy the Marvel. It can be had in lockback.

I agree the AA without the Bob Marvel upgrade is just a good plinker.

Ron

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Brassburnz 1/13/2013, 6:13 am

I have two Marvel Unit 1's and an AA Target conversion. I've had the AA for about 4 years and the Unit 1's longer than that. The test targets on the Unit 1's were both a little over .6 of an inch.

The Unit 1's will outshoot the AA. To be fair to the AA, I have not invested the time to find the best ammo as I did for the Unit 1. I purchased the AA primarily for the slide lock feature, but for bullseye, it's not needed. I'm not sure why, but even if I'm not consciously counting, I know when 5 shots have been fired. If anything, I'll stop at 4 and a simple press check tells me if I still have one more round to go.

I also have an AA conversion for my Glock 17. I use the AA conversion to get more trigger time while practicing for action shooting. The slide lock feature is useful for practicing mag changes.

I just saw an ad for the latest Bob Marvel/Nighthawk Custom .22 conversion. Don't know anything about it, but I would like to see one. Hopefully someone can give us a report from the SHOT Show.
Brassburnz
Brassburnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 1/13/2013, 7:49 am

I have all three. (five actually)
Marvel Precision steel lockback and an early MP no lockback
Advantage Arms, and a Bob Marvel AA #10.
Nighthawk.

All are very capable of BE accuracy. But you must group your guns at least over an armrest or bags to find the ammo trends. Usually there won't be that much difference. So cycling reliability and ammo availability will be the deciding factors. Especially since there seems only 3 ammos regularly available that are not too costly. CCI SV, Aguila SV, and Eley Sport. Although sometimes you will find an exceptionally good combination, or an exceptionally bad one. Shoot and learn. To go after the last 1/4" in "benchrest" accuracy to me is a waste of time. If you can not do a sandbag or armrest test, you need to work more on your fundamentals.

The lockback to me is necessary. I just want it. I can deal with the early Marvel, but I prefer not to.

The Nighthawk has been excellent so far.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by rickbriggs 1/15/2013, 4:56 pm

I use a Bob Marvel AA, sn is less than 100. VERY accurate. It took a lot of work to make it reliable, and it has been back to AA twice because the tiny screws that hold the slide notch have sheared off. I was told by AA, the next time they break, I will have to buy a new redesigned slide and shroud. About once or twice a match, the first round out of the plastic mag jams when I slingshot the slide on the load command. The release point can't be adjusted because the mags are plastic. I should have bought a MP.
rickbriggs
rickbriggs

Back to top Go down

Marvel vs. Advantage Arms Empty Marvel vs. Advantage Arms

Post by Colt711 1/18/2013, 2:49 pm

As mentioned previously I have both a Bob Marvel AA, and a Marvel. My experience with the original Marvel has been good although it had both a new barrel & slide as the result of design flaws. It cost pretty dear for me to have Marvel repair it. Most who I have talked with had this done at no cost. The design problems were w/ earlier units if I understand correctly. I bought mine @ Perry in 2,000.

The AA was back to Bob Marvel's shop for a lengthy visit. It was feeding the 2nd round along with the first when dropping the slide. This happened once but usually no more than twice in a 900. It was no better after being returned. He gave me a couple of extra mags. I now have 5, all the same plastic unit. Other than that it is very reliable.

It is being used on a Series 70 Colt frame. I use both units on the same frame. I tried them both on an Essex. The Marvel worked after filing & stoning the Essex rails, the AA's problems were much worse and it felt very rough so the project was abandoned.

The supplied targets are about the same, if a couple of 5 round groups tell much. I use both units and as mentioned here I was interested in the last round lockback. After using both that feature seems of little impportance. They are both reliable excepting the nuisance of the AA's loading problem, and are bboth accurate.

Ron

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by rickbriggs 1/18/2013, 3:41 pm

I have a Series 70 frame too, with the exact same problems and same solution, Bob sent me 2 mags but no joy. Once or twice in a 900 it will try to feed 2 rounds at a time. I even tried my Masaki/Essex frame and drew the same conclusion as Colt711. No way I'll file on that frame tho.

I have been toying with the idea of buying a mag release from EGW that holds the mag higher in the frame but it would be an expensive experiment, there would be some filing and possible trigger stop issues, so I will put up with the occasional bad behavior for now.
rickbriggs
rickbriggs

Back to top Go down

Marvel vs. Advantage Arms Empty Marvel vs Advantage Arms

Post by Colt711 1/18/2013, 5:29 pm

rickbriggs wrote:
I have been toying with the idea of buying a mag release from EGW that holds the mag higher in the frame but it would be an expensive experiment, there would be some filing and possible trigger stop issues, so I will put up with the occasional bad behavior for now.

My conclusion was the mag s/b lower, mag too high= more pressure against the slide allowing irt to drag the 2nd rnd.

I filed the top of the cut in one mag hoping to relieve this pressur w/no difference. I also cut the mag sprg (readily replaced) to no avail. Next trial will be one of the steel mags for the Marvel. Seems that had worked but the slide didn't lock open.

When the plastic mags work they are fine but changes are risky.

I've worked on Colt .45 mags and converted .38 Super mags to handle .38 specials for my conversions but .22 mags are a mystery to me!!!

I really like these 1911 .22's. For almost all my shooting career I used Giles HS's. I was never happy w/ the 41 altho it feels good and mine was dead accurate and reliable I blamed it for everything I did wrong as I reached "maturity". I don't shoot good scores w/ the conversios but at least they feel good.

Ron

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by hunter3705 2/27/2013, 4:00 pm

I have a Marvel 1911 target unit, and I also have an Advantage Arms unit for my Glock 21. They are both excellent, but the Marvel is a little bit higher quality, and if I were going to pick one that would be my choice.
hunter3705
hunter3705

Back to top Go down

Post by alarmguy 3/3/2013, 7:47 pm

Hi guys,
New to the forum. I shot a few years at a local club then laid off for a few years while I was doing boy scouts with the my sons. Got back in a few years ago, thought I'd order a Bob Marvel Custom Guns conversion unit online. Ordered in 2009, maintained email contact for a while, then communications trickled to zip. I'm still shooting a 41 but considering a Marvel precision unit. I'll keep an eye on this forum to help in my decision.

alarmguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 3/3/2013, 8:18 pm

Marvel Precision has been very good at keeping their production levels up, and following through on their orders.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/2/2013, 7:17 am

Here is another wrench in the machine...I was also in the market for a Marvel type conversion 3 weeks ago. I eventually setttled on one made by Nighthawk Custom, witch is a Marvel design. I am very pleased with the fit and finish of the unit and it shoots extremely well. It also locks the slide back on the last shot. They also make a rail for the top of the unit for a scope mount. I also liked it very much because it has an Eliason sight intregrated into the rear of the slide just like a Series 70 Gold Cup.
http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pistols/22-pistol-22-conversions/22-conversion-units.html

JS

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 4/2/2013, 11:02 am

I can add more praise to the Nighthawk. It has been flawless for me. And now I have replaced my modified AA scope rail with Nighthawks steel scope rail. The weight is now much better.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by grountree 4/5/2013, 12:05 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on the Marvel Unit 1 long slide version? Other than the longer sight profile and possibly balance, is there any advantage? It looks like the combo sight rib only works with the regular slide if I am reading it right... guess that could be a problem.

grountree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilot7576 4/21/2013, 11:53 pm

I first owned a Bob Marvel/AA serial number 08X mounted to a lower built by Bob Marvel. After giving up my stby .22 I wanted to get another Marvel as a backup....comms with Bob Marvel became difficult to impossible and I purchased a Marvel Precision unit 1. Side by side comparison between the AA unit (accurized by Bob Marvel) and the Marvel Precision.....the Marvel Precision is more reliable but operates better with the AA magazines (polymer) than the supplied metalform and the german improvements from Marvel. Curiously, on cleaning after about 500 rds downrange, the Marvel Precision is much cleaner with less lead/fouling and overall crud than the Bob Marvel/AA model. Before I cleaned the Bob Marvel/AA model, I would tap it on the bench to free most of the crap that was crusted on. The Marvel precision was far cleaner after an equal number of rounds downrange.

I have since sold my Bob Marvel/AA upper and purchased an addl Marvel Precision upper for my backup. No regrets. I do find it curious that the polymer magazines work better for me than the metal ones....plus they are cheaper to boot.

Pilot7576

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 4/22/2013, 3:35 pm

My Marvel unit 1 is 2003 vintage. I recently tried 8 different GSG magazines in mine (Citadel lower), every one worked flawlessly.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 4/22/2013, 9:28 pm

Pilot7576 wrote:
I do find it curious that the polymer magazines work better for me than the metal ones....plus they are cheaper to boot.

The plastic mags are injection molded and as long as the die is filled correctly w/ compound there will be almost no dimension variations. I'm sure the metal mags can vary considerably.
That being said it sure seems as if metal would be better!!
Ron

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 4/22/2013, 9:36 pm

I think the GSG metal mags are MIM molded and should be uniform as well. I don't think there is any way to bend or tune them. Getting used to slingshotting them correctly took a little time. I find inserting the magazine with the slide closed then slingshotting the slide works best for my lower.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 4/22/2013, 9:47 pm

Rob Kovach wrote:I think the GSG metal mags are MIM molded and should be uniform as well. I don't think there is any way to bend or tune them. Getting used to slingshotting them correctly took a little time. I find inserting the magazine with the slide closed then slingshotting the slide works best for my lower.

Were the original Marvel's MIM?
Ron

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 4/22/2013, 9:51 pm

I don't know about all vintages, but the mags that came with my early unit one were stamped steel authentic colt ace mags. I don't think the mags were ever a problem with reliable function for my case, but with everyone singing the praises of the GSG mags, I converted.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next