Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mental Focus test

+2
LenV
dronning
6 posters

Go down

Mental Focus test Empty Mental Focus test

Post by dronning 10/10/2017, 3:13 pm

When you have good trigger control (based on several videos ) but scores don't show it high 80's in slow fire and >96 in sustained fire.  Either I'm trying too hard (forcing the shot) or my mental focus is not consistent.

Did the following, sorry no pics Sad

2 5 shot strings on each target all @ 25yds (indoor range), rapid fire pace with a timer.
I shot 5 warm up targets normal 9 ring black size
Then one target for record each size in order 
1) 9 ring black (normal size)  96-2x
2) 10 ring black 98-3x
3)  X ring black 100-6x
4) 1" black 98-5x
The scores don't show it but the groups shrunk and the #4 target group was tighter than #3 but off center. 

Then I shot 4 more targets of each size in random order.  Averaged, the groups were smaller than the first round of targets (to be expected) the 9 ring except for one target was always a little bigger than 2,  3 & 4 which were pretty close in size but #4 group moved around the most i.e. right of 1" black, left of black..... I attribute that to the red dot covering the target black.

With the bigger 9 ring black I noticed that sometimes I was focusing on the dot, and with the smaller X ring black I was definitely focusing on the black, not the dot.  I thought I was always focused on the target X at 25yds so for a final test I turned the dot way down and tried to focus on the X, it was the tightest group on a 9 ring target of the day.  It was off center but would have been a 10X target!

So in conclusion I guess the red dot is my "squirrel" and my focus is going back and forth between the dot and the target.  One or the other is good back and forth = not good!  Now I have to figure out which is best for me and stick to it.

One question, does anyone change their "dot or target" focus on the long line verses the short line?
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Mental Focus test Empty Re: Mental Focus test

Post by LenV 10/10/2017, 3:32 pm

Not on purpose.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 10/10/2017, 3:45 pm

I never used to change them. But not sure if because older now I started looking at the target during rapid fire. So for rapid I turn dot up one click. Made a big difference. I like smallest dot I can focus on for sf & tf.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 10/10/2017, 3:46 pm

dronning wrote:When you have good trigger control (based on several videos ) but scores don't show it high 80's in slow fire and >96 in sustained fire.  Either I'm trying too hard (forcing the shot) or my mental focus is not consistent.

Did the following, sorry no pics Sad

2 5 shot strings on each target all @ 25yds (indoor range), rapid fire pace with a timer.
I shot 5 warm up targets normal 9 ring black size
Then one target for record each size in order 
1) 9 ring black (normal size)  96-2x
2) 10 ring black 98-3x
3)  X ring black 100-6x
4) 1" black 98-5x
The scores don't show it but the groups shrunk and the #4 target group was tighter than #3 but off center. 

Then I shot 4 more targets of each size in random order.  Averaged, the groups were smaller than the first round of targets (to be expected) the 9 ring except for one target was always a little bigger than 2,  3 & 4 which were pretty close in size but #4 group moved around the most i.e. right of 1" black, left of black..... I attribute that to the red dot covering the target black.

With the bigger 9 ring black I noticed that sometimes I was focusing on the dot, and with the smaller X ring black I was definitely focusing on the black, not the dot.  I thought I was always focused on the target X at 25yds so for a final test I turned the dot way down and tried to focus on the X, it was the tightest group on a 9 ring target of the day.  It was off center but would have been a 10X target!

So in conclusion I guess the red dot is my "squirrel" and my focus is going back and forth between the dot and the target.  One or the other is good back and forth = not good!  Now I have to figure out which is best for me and stick to it.

One question, does anyone change their "dot or target" focus on the long line verses the short line?
- Dave
Dave i have the same issue at times of jumping back and forth with my focus, couple things that helped was turning up the dot intensity which slightly enlarged the dot size(only at 25). This helped me to stay focused on the target and stop picking shots(the amount of times i've saved a round in time fire is embarrassing). I went to viewing the target vs viewing the dot because if i look at the dot i can see all the little dots that are reflected that make up the dot... something about having good vision or something.  I didn't notice a drop in scores by focusing the dot or target.  Some of my best strings were like autopilot. I focused on the target, drove the gun into the black on and got on the trigger........maybe that is correct or not but those were the best strings. Gotta find a way for me to keep doing that.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 10/10/2017, 4:13 pm

Based on the test and results, you are capable of shooting the smaller group sizes. You can't change the size of the bull. You need to figure out the mental process that works. Maybe a smaller or larger dot can help, but most of the changes will be mental.

I briefly changed the dot size when I first got a Match-Dot until I shot a beautiful Timed Fire and ended up with a very small group centered in the 8 ring low. When you adjust the dot size you will see the dot disappear up and the new dot appear from the bottom (or vice-versa). If you don't settle the knob in the middle of the 'click' the dot will be higher or lower than normal.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 10/10/2017, 5:21 pm

I am going to be stuck with the 2MOA dot. I've always shot Ultradot Matchdot II's but after having a second one fail during the last match I'm switching to Aimpoint.  The other time was a year ago, both times the dot just disappeared new batteries didn't help, one of them was intermittent.

My primary 45 is at KC's as I post this, I decided to convert to KC's slide cut and have KC install a 2MOA H1 Aimpoint.  FYI this gun was built by KC and had a Red Buff frame mount installed which I really liked so this was a tough call for me since I've always shot frame mounts.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 10/10/2017, 6:32 pm

Was the frame mount not low enough?
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 10/10/2017, 8:46 pm

jmdavis wrote:Was the frame mount not low enough?
No the Red Buff is about as low as any frame mount goes, it puts the optic as low or lower than many slide mounts after you add the rings, that's why I liked it so much.  Going with the slide cut I'm also reducing weight and dropping the optic a little, and the primary reason was to get away from the UD.  I could have just gone with the 9000sc and the Red Buff but I didn't want any more weight.

Pic from KC's site:
Mental Focus test 397542_921973524490218_1802051987411851756_n
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 10/10/2017, 9:15 pm

I don't know if Sams is doing it. But his frame mount with a sideways Aimpoint is VERY LOW.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 10/10/2017, 9:46 pm

jmdavis wrote:I don't know if Sams is doing it. But his frame mount with a sideways Aimpoint is VERY LOW.
Looked at Sams ($$$ + time) and Double Alpha H1 mount, also very low.  In fact KC had a DA mount on hand.  I decided to give KC's slide cut a try, those that have it swear by it.

KC slide cut:
Mental Focus test 15196064_1299306873423546_7711297444498496862_o

Double Alpha Mount:
Mental Focus test Scope_mounts_daa_aimpoint_micro_sight_mount
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down