Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electronic Hearing Protection

+18
CR10X
kc.crawford.7
UtahDave
mikemyers
JIMPGOV
willnewton
john bickar
KenO
Magload
Jack H
BE Mike
joem5636
Eddie 500
Multiracer
SonOfAGun
jmdavis
Aprilian
xmastershooter
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Electronic Hearing Protection Empty Electronic Hearing Protection

Post by xmastershooter Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:55 am

Need recommendations. Thanks!

xmastershooter

Back to top Go down

Electronic Hearing Protection Empty Re: Electronic Hearing Protection

Post by Aprilian Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:17 am

I bought the Peltor Sport tactical 500 in May and like them.   I wear plugs under them and can still raise the electronic volume to hear conversations.  They have bluetooth, I mow the grass with them while listening to music from my phone and have even taken a phone call on them (the other person said my voice was clear).  The cups seal well over glasses frames.

My one disappointment is the reverb software for indoor ranges doesn't work as well as I had hoped (and they had advertised).
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:32 am

You are wearing plugs as well, right?

I have used the Howard Leight Impact Pro and the Peltor Sport. They both work. But the Howard Leight broke after a few months and required me to jury rig a fix. I have had the Peltor since 2010. 

All of that being said, I don't wear either these days. I bought a set of David Clark 19A passive muffs. Yes, it's not always easy to hear, particularly soft talkers, but I know that I am protecting my hearing as well as I can. I also wear fitted plugs from CeCa at Camp Perry (the kind with filters) with the 19A's.  

If I were going to wear the electronic muffs regularly. I would probably go with the Peltor. The issue is that glasses frames will lead to some inefficiency. But they provide good protection, last a long time, and are dependable. 

That's all I know at this point.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfAGun Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:07 pm

Good topic. I've been researching the Howard Leight compared to the Walker's Game Ear Razor Slim. Both on Amazon at similar street price, within $5 of each other. Some reviews by users that have owned both give the nod to the Walker's. Hope to get more first hand comparisons.
SonOfAGun
SonOfAGun

Back to top Go down

Electronic Hearing Protection Empty Howard Leight

Post by Multiracer Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:17 pm

I use these, in less than one year the foam is breaking down and becoming compressed inside the vinyl muff ear ring.
They still operate I just feel the end is near for the foam.

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:42 pm

The best I've found is the Peltor Tactical Pro. NRR 26 dB. What I like most beside the high level of attenuation, is that they don't completely mute the sound when a loud sound is detected. They just lower the level of the sound. What I like least is the price, but it's like optics; you get what you pay for.

I also have the gel sealing rings which help create a better seal when wearing glasses.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie 500 Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:58 pm

I have a pair of MSA Supreme. At outdoor ranges you can hear the wind blow but still cancels out the bang of the pistol/rifle. In a small indoor range the report of the gun blast is more pronounced. I like em overall but they are pricey at $295 American.

Eddie 500

Back to top Go down

Post by xmastershooter Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm starting to do RSO duty for my club and cost would not be a factor for good electronic hearing protection.  I just don't want to buy several just to try out.  More replies would be greatly appreciated.  Thank again!

xmastershooter

Back to top Go down

Post by joem5636 Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:28 am

I have an ancient pair of MSA Sordins that work wonderfully. Only problem has been batteries -- I replaced the original with a Radio Shack and just keep going.

joem5636

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:47 am

I have a couple of pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport ear protectors. They are my first venture into e-muffs. They have an NRR of 22. They are hard to beat for (shop around) $35.00. I use ear plugs under them. They take AAA batteries that seem to have a decent life. Since you said money was no object, I'd look at the Pro Ears TAC Slim Gold. They have an NRR of 28 and auto shut off. I looked hard at them before I went with the more affordable Howard Leight Impact Sport ear protectors. The MSA Sordin have some good reviews, but with an NRR of only 18, I think they are overpriced. The more expensive e-muffs seem to allow the wearer to have some directional sensing. I don't see that need in a range environment. It would prove useful in a combat or hunting environment.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:24 am

I do not know the quality involved but I would check and avoid hearing muffs that use odd size batteries.   AAA only for me.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:37 pm

Well I bought a set of EtyMotic GunSport Pro.   Spent a good deal on them but I am not real pleased with them.  I still have to put my Howard Leight over them depending what other people are shooting indoors.  When someone is shooting a 308 that doesn't help a lot. Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by xmastershooter Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:20 pm

jimdavis wrote:All of that being said, I don't wear either these days. I bought a set of David Clark 19A passive muffs. Yes, it's not always easy to hear, particularly soft talkers, but I know that I am protecting my hearing as well as I can. I also wear fitted plugs from CeCa at Camp Perry (the kind with filters) with the 19A's
Hi Jim, what are the odds??? Presently, I also use David Clark muffs along with CeCa fitted plugs.  Foam plugs seal the best but are a hassle to remove in order to hear and then put back in.  I believe the Clarks are used in the military.  What are "filters" with the fitted plugs?

xmastershooter

Back to top Go down

Post by KenO Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:02 pm

"Foam plugs seal the best but are a hassle to remove in order to hear and then put back in"

There are foam plugs that you don't have to roll, just push in, and pull to take out. I love these under my muffs, and they are 31NRR.

https://www.earplugstore.com/e-a-r-push-ins-softouch-earplugs-bx.html   You can get them anywhere, that was the first that came up on my search. I don't remember where I got mine, but the price really varies, so shop around.

KenO

Back to top Go down

Post by xmastershooter Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:44 am

Thanks KenO

Found this new product in SSUSA.  Any comments or experience using it?

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/10/30/review-3m-peltor-tep-100-tactical-electronic-ambient-listening-earplugs/

xmastershooter

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:18 pm

Hi Norman,

I recently bought the Peltor RangeGuard and wore them last night while serving as range master for league. It was an interesting experience.

I had hoped that the muffs themselves would attenuate gunshots when the amplification was turned on but they do not, not sufficiently even for .22. I found that it was best to wear them over earplugs and turn the amplification off during active firing periods and then turn it on when I needed to hear things but there was still a chance of live fire (e.g., towards the end of firing periods).
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:18 am

My Howard Leight Impact Pro electronic muffs are OK under some circumstances.

I find that part of the gunshot is amplified for the briefest time, resulting in very mild ringing during shooting witha group of folks, even though it does not sound loud in my ear.  I get zero ear ringing when they are turned off.  I think the combo of multiple nearby gunshots and a partial amplification through the muffs is enough to just hit the the threshold to cause ringing.

I think you should wear plugs if using these muffs electronically all the time.

They are well padded, with a NRR of 30.  I do not wear plugs under them for target pistol shooting, as they work very well when not turned on. They also fit well, so I have not tried replacing them.  They work well when turned on too, if I need to listen to a buddy talk on the range, but I rarely activate them otherwise.

If there is a bonus that I like, it is being able to listen to BE range command intros played from my phone without disturbing others.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:29 am

https://www.cdnnsports.com/electronic-earmuffs-25db-bk.html?___SID=U#.WiqFHxZryWs
 I'VE HAD SEVERAL DIFFERENT PAIRS. I NOW USE THESE. CHECK MY LINK ABOVE. 25DB RATING, COMFORTABLE, FOLD-ABLE AND INEXPENSIVE. ONLY $9.99. CANT BE BEAT. JP

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:22 am

Suggestion:

Go to this page, and start selecting:  http://www.howardleight.com/selector

If you want the best protection, one of them has a rating of 30.

I think this is what I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Amplification-Electronic-R-01902/dp/B007BGSI5U
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by UtahDave Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:47 am

Yep! these work very well.  I'm an RO and I don't need ear plugs with them but I do avoid standing near the 7mm Mags with muzzle brakes. I have several other brands and they don't get used.

Dave

UtahDave

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:43 am

mikemyers wrote:Suggestion:

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Amplification-Electronic-R-01902/dp/B007BGSI5U
+1  I want the highest NRR I can get.  These are very comfortable and the electronics work very well.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:53 am

And I wear muffs and ear plugs every time!  Even for .22.  I'd rather miss hearing something than miss hearing anything.   

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac2 Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:31 am

Wife and I each use Peltor 300.  One began to eat standard batteries and 3M sent us mailing label to return for refund.  . . . and then replaced with same from Amazon.  Other one is still on first set of batteries.  I use foam ear plugs in addition to Peltor 300.  300 is easy to deal with, but indoors I need a bit more attenuation.  Down-side is expense.

Mac2

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:45 pm

CR10X wrote:And I wear muffs and ear plugs every time!  Even for .22.  I'd rather miss hearing something than miss hearing anything.   

CR

+1.  Also, for me, I look for audio input.  This allows me to play the match commands (...ready on the firing line....) during sustained fire practice.  I currently have Pro Gold which I would not recommend.  I intend to replace them with the Peltor Sport Tactical 100 and replace the foam ear pads with the gel ear pads.  I have a non-electronic Peltor with the gel ear pads and the gel covers more of my ear and is better sealing.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:47 pm

mikemyers wrote:Suggestion:

I have these and they are for sure pretty quiet.

I also have a set of Walkers and the Walkers have considerably more amplification than the HL,s.

I use foam ear plugs with them and can barely hear anything with the HL's volume all the way up, but hear voice commands much better when using the Walkers.

Another thing is that wearing foam ear plugs as well made a difference in my shooting. Someone shooting next to me used to sometimes disturb me, but with ear plugs and headsets on I no longer even notice that anyone is there.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next