Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone use an RMR for bullseye?

+7
lyman1903
Dcforman
LenV
fc60
30harry
HogCommander
Wmvdg123
11 posters

Go down

Does anyone use an RMR for bullseye? Empty Does anyone use an RMR for bullseye?

Post by Wmvdg123 1/27/2018, 2:25 am

I was thinking about using a 1 MOA RMR for Bullseye. Is this worse than AimPoint or Ultradot? Does anyone have experience with this? 
Thanks!
Wayne

Wmvdg123

Back to top Go down

Does anyone use an RMR for bullseye? Empty Re: Does anyone use an RMR for bullseye?

Post by HogCommander 1/27/2018, 1:01 pm

I use one (1911 45 ACP with RMR06) for Bullseye sometimes.  I love the light weight but would offer a few things for consideration:

1.  If you plan to shoot at Camp Perry or any other outdoor range without covered firing positions, this setup is not what you want when it's raining. 

2.  This setup is less forgiving of wrist movement during recoil.  This is particularly the case in Rapid Fire...can't afford to lose time trying to find your dot.

HogCommander

Back to top Go down

Does anyone use an RMR for bullseye? Empty Re: Does anyone use an RMR for bullseye?

Post by Wmvdg123 1/27/2018, 3:18 pm

Those are good points about the rain and the rapid fire portion. Do you feel like it is less accurate than an ultradot or AimPoint though?

Wmvdg123

Back to top Go down

Post by 30harry 1/27/2018, 4:47 pm

I thought about using one also and I did try the fast fire 3 but my major problem with the reflex sights is the lack of precise, repeatable elevation adjustment capability. The matchdot 2 with the elevation turret seems to be the ultimate for the bullseye sport with a 2moa dot (you can select either 2/4/6/8moa according to your preferences) .  Plus, the last rm09 I bought was over $500.  If you go between 50ft, 25yds and 50yds a lot, an elevation turret really makes it hassle free.

If you only shoot at one distance and you have a fat wallet, I think the rm09 would be perfect.  Be sure to get the gen 2 model.  The early ones had battery contact issues.  The gen 2 is "bulletproof" and extremely accurate.  

Now I have to put a qualifier on this. It seems some top bullseye shooters feel a larger dot helps them shoot better scores.  Since I'm not a top bullseye shooter, you need more input. Smile 

Another plus for the matchdot 2, if you aren't sure what size dot you need, is the switch selectable dot sizes to choose from.

30harry

Back to top Go down

Post by HogCommander 1/28/2018, 2:58 am

My best 50 yard groups have been with the RMR-equipped 1911 but I wouldn't attribute that just to the RMR sight.  My other Bullseye guns have UltraDot Matchdot II's on them and they are great shooters too...just heavier.  Personally, I don't think there's a significant difference in accuracy between quality reflex sights and quality tube-type sights.

For adjustments between 25 and 50 yds, I will say I prefer the positive clicks of the UltraDots.  The clicks on my RMR are much more subtle and difficult to hear/feel, particularly when ambient noise is present.  My solution to this was to use red and blue paint pens to put small "dots" of paint on the sight.  The red dot is my 50 yard elevation and the blue dot is for 25 yards.

Battery changes are much easier with the UltraDot and don't affect your zero.  The RMR has to be removed to change the battery which can affect your zero although mine requires little, if any, adjustment after battery changes.

HogCommander

Back to top Go down

Post by Wmvdg123 1/28/2018, 10:49 am

That's great information thank you so much!

Wmvdg123

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 1/28/2018, 12:39 pm

Greetings,

Curiosity has gotten the best of me.

What is an RMR? Rocky Mountain Racoon?

Please post a link to the company website.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 1/28/2018, 1:46 pm

fc60 wrote:Greetings,

Curiosity has gotten the best of me.

What is an RMR? Rocky Mountain Racoon?

Please post a link to the company website.

Cheers,

Dave
+1 At least I am not the only one in the dark. Really Mean Rabbit?
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman 1/28/2018, 1:53 pm

Ruggedized miniature reflex sight. Although I thought that referred to multiple brands, though these guys seem to be talking about Trijicon...

Dave

Last edited by Dcforman on 1/28/2018, 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wmvdg123 1/28/2018, 2:06 pm

Yes trijicon, Ruggedized Miniature Reflex sight.
https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1

Wmvdg123

Back to top Go down

Post by lyman1903 1/28/2018, 2:14 pm

Wmvdg123 wrote:Yes trijicon, Ruggedized Miniature Reflex sight.
https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1

not sure why that link is not working,

maybe this one

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=RMR

vortex and a few others make one as well
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 30harry 1/28/2018, 11:55 pm

And they are "rugged".  Check out youtube. Guys are hammering boards with the sight and then showing it hasn't changed sight settings, etc.  

They are about the smallest window reflex sight out there but they are rugged.

30harry

Back to top Go down

Post by JNW1 1/31/2018, 9:22 pm

I didn’t know “ruggedized” was a word until Trijicon used it.  Turns out it’s in the Merriam Webster dictionary!

Definition of ruggedize

ruggedized; ruggedizing
transitive verb
: to strengthen (something, such as a machine) for better resistance to wear, stress, and abuse  

• ruggedized camera

— 

ruggedization

[ltr]play [/ltr]
 \ˌrə-gə-də-ˈzā-shən\ noun

I like my Delta Point Pro a lot, but I love my Ultra Dots.
Jeff

JNW1

Back to top Go down

Post by Amati 2/4/2018, 6:46 pm

JNW1 wrote:I like my Delta Point Pro a lot, but I love my Ultra Dots.
Jeff

And the $$$ difference pays for a lot of gas.

Amati

Back to top Go down

Post by Wmvdg123 3/24/2018, 2:27 am

Well, I went out and bought a 1 MOA RMR. I had my slide milled and mounted it on my slide. I took it to the range and was shocked to find that it was not any more accurate than my iron sights. I tested it with a variety of ammo and my own hand loads. Apparently, if you have young eyes or use a diopter irons are just as accurate as a a red dot.

Wmvdg123

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 3/24/2018, 7:27 am

Marksmanship fundamentals are the same for irons and dot sights. Accuracy is the same! Pistol doesn't know whether its being ahot with either sighting setup. Really watching/learning to see irons is a learned skill. No different for the dot. I see your a marksman.......you're just going through growing pains like eveyone else had too. It just takes time. Keep at it.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 3/24/2018, 7:39 am

My RMR recommendations is look at what the AMU uses on their Bullseye guns.  Their job is to win everywhere they go. You won't see RMRs there.  Personal RMR relections...  I bought one to put on a Glock 10mm.  Gun came with a smorgasboard of screws and plates for mounting.  The right plate was there but no proper screws.  Went to Trijicon's web site and saw that they know there are no screws inluded with the Glock.  They sold me two machine screws for $30 shipped.  Bottom line is they make good stuff but I will NEVER buy another Trijicon product.  There are too many other good options that respect their customers better.  Bought a Vortec red dot and needed a minor part.  Contacted them and they shipped it to me no charge.  For RMR type stuff I buy Vortec products.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down