Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brass that’s too clean

+16
RustyJoints
killswitch
jmdavis
Founder
sbtzc
Wobbley
Chris Miceli
gregbenner
joy2shoot
Bullseye_Stan
jglenn21
james r chapman
chopper
USSR
LenV
lablover
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Brass that’s too clean Empty Brass that’s too clean

Post by lablover Sat May 12, 2018 6:03 pm

I wet tumble with stainless media, yea, it gets brass super clean.  The problem I’m seeing is that th brass likes to now grind on my case flare die in my Dillon.  I have a mr bullet feeder powder funnel and I love it but I notice it likes to really rub hard.  I put a tiny bit of lube on the case mouth with a q tip and all was fine.  No way I’m doing this with every case.  Anyone ever run your ultra clean brass thru corn cob with some type of polish to slicker them up?  I was thinking some mother’s polish or some nu finish car wax in the corn cob then run my cases thru the tumbler or should I say my vibrate dry tumbler

Thanks

Joe
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Brass that’s too clean Empty Re: Brass that’s too clean

Post by LenV Sat May 12, 2018 7:09 pm

Hornady one shot. I use it on all new and super clean brass. I spray a little on just after cleaning. I don't try to get it in every case mouth or on every case even. There always seems to be some transfer that keeps it going smooth. I let it dry a couple of hours before I start loading.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by USSR Sat May 12, 2018 7:36 pm

lablover wrote:Anyone ever run your ultra clean brass thru corn cob with some type of polish to slicker them up?  I was thinking some mother’s polish or some nu finish car wax in the corn cob then run my cases thru the tumbler or should I say my vibrate dry tumbler

Thanks

Joe

Joe,

I add a cap full of NuFinish and a cap full of mineral spirits to my walnut shell media in my dry tumbler after they have been wet tumbled.   Only need to run it for about 20 minutes.   Works for me.

Don
USSR
USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Sat May 12, 2018 7:45 pm

USSR wrote:
lablover wrote:Anyone ever run your ultra clean brass thru corn cob with some type of polish to slicker them up?  I was thinking some mother’s polish or some nu finish car wax in the corn cob then run my cases thru the tumbler or should I say my vibrate dry tumbler

Thanks

Joe

Joe,

I add a cap full of NuFinish and a cap full of mineral spirits to my walnut shell media in my dry tumbler after they have been wet tumbled.   Only need to run it for about 20 minutes.   Works for me.

Don
Running as we speak.  I’m also going to try the one shot that Len mentioned.
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Sat May 12, 2018 7:51 pm

Joe, I do like Len does, only I use Dillon spray case lube. I think the corn cob with nu finish would work too. I had brass and junk stuck on my expander tube, so I removed it by polishing around it with 600 and 1000 grit wet or dry sandpaper. I also chamfer just the inside of my new cases a little too, I just do this once. 
 Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sat May 12, 2018 8:03 pm

USSR wrote:

Thanks

Joe

Joe,

Don
+1
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Sat May 12, 2018 8:45 pm

WOW!  Just took the cases out of the nu finish corn cob media...wooohoooo slick as can be!  Ran a few thru the Dillon and it’s a whole new ball game of slick!  No grinding or crunching sounds what so ever and they go thru the sizing dies soooooo easy.  Also de burred a few and didn’t see a lot of difference but I will say that bur on the inside of the cases is a real thing.  Time to add another step in my process.  Not sure if I need to de burr or not.  I’ll run a few hundred as is after the corn cob and check my powder funnel tube.  The ones I did without de burring did show the bur was gone after sizing etc.
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Sat May 12, 2018 8:57 pm

USSR has the ticket. Works just fine
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Sat May 12, 2018 9:05 pm

jglenn21 wrote:USSR has the ticket. Works just fine
Sure does
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye_Stan Sun May 13, 2018 5:40 am

I rarely clean my .45 acp brass.  It doesn't seem to make any difference in reloading or cycling.  But when I do, it's done chemically.  Here's my 'secret formula':  One part white vinegar to four parts water (i.e. 2 oz vinegar to 8 oz water) with a teaspoon of table salt and teaspoon of dish soap per 8 oz water - scale as needed.

It helps if the water is warm, works in an ultrasonic cleaner (Harbor Freight type) for a few minutes or soaking for ~ 15 minutes in a bowl. Pour the used mixture down the sink. Rinse the brass in tap water then dry on a foil lined cookie sheet in a low temperature oven for ~ 1 hour (make sure all the brass is on it's side).

I think my cruddy looking brass helps with retention, as no one wants it. Smile  YMMV, of course.

Bullseye_Stan

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot Sun May 13, 2018 11:55 am

USSR wrote:Joe,

Don

USSR, what dry tumbler do you use?  Thanks.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by USSR Sun May 13, 2018 1:51 pm

Ha!   I've a Franklin Arsenal vibrating tumbler as sold by MidwayUSA about 35 - 40 years.   Still going strong (fingers crossed).   Hint: If you plan on using walnut shell media, go to your local Petco or Pet Smart store and buy Zilla brand lizard litter.   It's small enough that pieces of walnut shell won't get stuck in your flash holes, and much cheaper than the shooting supply companies.

Don
USSR
USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Sun May 13, 2018 2:49 pm

LenV wrote:Hornady one shot. I use it on all new and super clean brass. I spray a little on just after cleaning. I don't try to get it in every case mouth or on every case even. There always seems to be some transfer that keeps it going smooth. I let it dry a couple of hours before I start loading.

Len

+1. I set the cases upright on a 50 round case blocks for loading with the Dillon, and then lightly spray them all. I do this with everything I load.  it is super easy and inexpensive.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Sun May 13, 2018 3:43 pm

Is anyone really de burring or the like to case mouths?
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Sun May 13, 2018 3:58 pm

lablover wrote:Is anyone really de burring or the like to case mouths?  

I don’t, most the time I don’t even clean my brass

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun May 13, 2018 4:51 pm

lablover wrote:Is anyone really de burring or the like to case mouths?  
I allow the Minions to do them!

Brass that’s too clean BAjZea0GIhRcT6RiMi5hHbCAW01j3ZMKeBDhnjQgBn2gQp004kh6lPkuNFy26MJKgPzWpZ9S6GLFIbv02IW3DuFxbq3BLc8OUOW8cWDlO5BuIfUxZdu0UWmIFymHJRY0q7xidOarfcCTEtXWMbidIxQ48UNv0xGDWpD3hY4iGYtVrlpEcBoHOHj-OQ_esnlPVRZnjb5W5siBOiTrfbvll4uu7D2-0DzvsYgM2rVZssr5o4uz_scXuGggr432vpxKIEDOXb9PYAjDDdkYIzjY29PxndAm62SeVAfQ1pydHMsgc4MJ678fmzG8NSZ28R0CmQmwibfyqHsLhzwt5R8huaaQCMKx_1GO43n9P575Xt1W-iwYPyNAFpI-pzK0-EpyeajItdjewTCRckeP_4WNkStfeL5YKmFFiAWQavIGXQlsXxisZbbDCJ1k13vvy0sD9_IhCw6te73bQVx57thHjudeuLXQKlHRhBpcD_JfB5o_TW7m3J4fmXks_wzIlxo-zg1lQvKODrhsdcRUcKCvx16o5V2bhNgzZi2VsnzP9Zs74LsYCLbDHQ_fkRgWcTKKrqoOCwWAEyc3kiMFLEswLPBM64cDpZ69azrboIw=w624-h869-no
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sun May 13, 2018 4:58 pm

I wish it had minions.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sbtzc Mon May 14, 2018 9:17 pm

Add a dryer sheet or two to your dry tumbler or vibratory cleaner with corn or walnut media. The sheet(s) seems to gather the dirty crap while leaving a wax-like coating that smooths resizing .
sbtzc
sbtzc

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Tue May 15, 2018 4:53 pm

If you wet tumble your brass with yellow car wash/wax soap, it comes out lubed with no extra steps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=car+wash+and+wax+soap
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot Tue May 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Founder wrote:If you wet tumble your brass with yellow car wash/wax soap, it comes out lubed with no extra steps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=car+wash+and+wax+soap
 So the dish detergent used to clean the brass still allows the wax to be applied to the cases?

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Tue May 15, 2018 5:19 pm

Yes it does.

My advice is to try different combinations of products and let us know if you find a better combination.

I'm using dish soap in cycle 1 and changing the water after 5 minutes, then I run the wax for the polishing.

Let us know what you find to be best.
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Tue May 15, 2018 8:15 pm

For wet tumbling, use car wash with wax in it. Ive never had the problem with dry tumbling.

With nasty range brass, I wash twice. Once, for 30 minutes with Dawn dish soap. Then, once for 2 hours with car wash. Rinse well between the two cycles.

Recently, I've just been dry tumbling for 2 hours in corn media. Its not as shiny, but faster when I dont want to deprime first.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by killswitch Thu May 17, 2018 3:48 pm

Get a pail of water with a few caps full of Turtle Zip-Wax in it. After you have fully rinsed the brass dunk the cleaned batch in the pail of turtle wax water but don't re-rinse. Let dry and you can store the wax water for next time if you want. I had problems with the Winchester primmers going real hard because of the too clean brass. Their primmers are raw brass. You also will want to highly polish your powder funnel as well.
killswitch
killswitch

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyJoints Thu May 17, 2018 4:25 pm

I'm with Rob. Car wash soap with wax in a wet tumbler. Rinse well with cold water and let dry.
No issues with the Dillon powder funnel sticking.
Dave
RustyJoints
RustyJoints

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghillieman Wed May 23, 2018 10:15 am

I cut out the Dawn soap and use car wash with wax in it.
Still use lemi-shine.
Works perfect.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next