Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CCI pistol Match ??

+3
BE Mike
Olde Pilot
Precisionjunky
7 posters

Go down

CCI pistol Match ?? Empty CCI pistol Match ??

Post by Precisionjunky 5/29/2018, 9:50 pm

Thoughts on CCI pistol match, now using SK pistol match or Wolf Match Extra.. I consider SK Pistol Match and Wolf Match Extra mid range target ammo.. CCI Pistol Match is a little bit more expensive.. it is Good, Reliable, Accurate, BTW I shoot a modified Ruger Mark IV.

Andy
Precisionjunky
Precisionjunky

Back to top Go down

CCI pistol Match ?? Empty Re: CCI pistol Match ??

Post by Olde Pilot 5/29/2018, 10:39 pm

Not worth extra $$. What's wrong with the SK or Wolf you're shooting now?  If you want to lower your cost/round, try CCI SD.  Truth is: virtually all of the mid-priced standard velocity brands will shoot X ring or nearly so from the Mark IV.

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 5/30/2018, 7:30 am

My Hammerli 208s shoots best with CCI PM, both from the machine rest and hand. I have a ten shot target with a machine rest group of .76" (10 shots at 50 yds.) and a framed clean slow fire target on my computer desk that I shot with CCI PM. It was my first 10 shots of the Frank J. Bickar Memorial Regional in Canton many, many moons ago.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 5/30/2018, 8:54 am

So far, the most reliable ammo for my FAS has been the cheapest I've found.
CCI HP subsonic.

The QA on CCI HP is obviously horrid. Some HPs are well defined, some look like RN. But all are obviously shorter than CCI RN std vel as they never hang up in the magazine or jam while feeding.

Have a box of CCI Pistol Match, don't see the reason to use it. Don't need the higher velocity and my shooting skills aren't good enough to be helped if they are somehow better. I found the extra recoil and flash was a negative.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 5/30/2018, 10:51 am

Pistol Match should not have a significantly higher velocity it should be around 1070 fps. So it is subsonic, particularly out of a pistol barrel. It should also be more regular.

CCI HP Subsonic has a velocity of 1050 fps. You yourself have noted bullet variations. I likely wouldn't shoot either and would stick to standard velocity target ammo like Norma, SK, or even CCI std. I don't think that recoil and flash are the issues involved.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 5/30/2018, 11:26 am

One of the ammo types that my 41 likes is Fiocchi 40 gr Subsonic HP. Since it’s more in stock than CCI SV, I bought a case of it.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 5/30/2018, 12:25 pm

Wobbley wrote:One of the ammo types that my 41 likes is Fiocchi 40 gr Subsonic HP.  Since it’s more in stock than CCI SV, I bought a case of it.
Sorry, my mistake. 
What's in the ammo bin is CCI select @1200 fps (http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=5&loadNo=0045), not  CCI Pistol Match (http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=5&loadNo=0051).
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Precisionjunky 6/1/2018, 8:08 pm

Sorry for not responding.. something went wrong with my account and it would not let  me respond.. But I think it is fixed now.. Thanks for all the comments.
Precisionjunky
Precisionjunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Slamfire 6/28/2018, 1:22 pm

Primers require a good hard hit. I had malfunctions with my Ruger MKII and I learned something about pistol ignition systems. During a match, my Ruger MKII started stove piping, had a misfire, I looked at the rims, there was an indentation, can't remember if they looked deep. I took the bolt out, the firing pin out, during SF and found the back of the firing pin had mushroomed. I removed the firing pin and using my pocket tool, which has a file, I filed off the burrs on the side. In installation, the firing pin moved freely within its channel, and all rounds went bang after that.

However, I was lazy and thought I fixed the problem. Stove pipe jams came back, firing pin was even more peened:

CCI pistol Match ?? 1sIb4O8

I have since replaced this soft stainless steel Ruger firing pin with a Volquartsen tool steel, the Ruger MKII goes bang each and every shot. My conclusion is that a weak ignition system will produce inconsistent powder ignition, resulting in failures to ignite, failures to extract, or stovepipes.

I have been keeping track of malfunctions I have had with SK Std Plus in my S&W M41 and S&W M46. The typical malfunction is a stove pipe jam. Then a failure to ignite.

I did replace the mainsprings and the recoil springs.

CCI pistol Match ?? LV7Wg0a

That improved things, but still rounds would misfire and I would have stop pipe jams. I knocked out the firing pins and found them well coated with oil. I believe having oil in the firing pin channel weakens the firing pin blow. After every match, I blow the firing pin channel out with compressed air. I put the nozzle on the firing pin tip and let the air blow!. Sometimes I press the firing pin forward, then blow air.

This did reduce the frequency of misfires and stove pipe jams. However, I think the S&W M41 has a weaker ignition than the Ruger and, SK Standard Plus is a rifle round. Therefore, the priming compound is likely to be less sensitive than pistol priming compound.

I have Winchester Super X 22LR from the late 1970's purchased from an OTASCO. Stickers have what appears to be a date code of 3-78. I don't remember buying from an Otasco in the 1970's, I remember buying from an Otasco in the early 1980's, so maybe that is when I got this ammunition. Otasco went bust in 1988.  Even in the Ruger, this stuff will stove pipe in mid 60's weather. However, I fired 300 rounds of the stuff in an indoor range,verifying zero with new rings on my MKII, and every round went bang. The temperatures in that indoor range had to be above 90 F, possibly near 100 F. It was hot as heck. I drank two water bottles while I was there and smelt like a billy goat on leaving!  Old ammunition will malfunction, old priming compound should be suspect, and heat actually raises pressures. 

Now if you plan to shoot Smallbore Prone, the ten ring at 50 yards is about 0.8". You want all rounds to go in half that distance, to give you margin. The Bullseye Pistol target ten ring is four inches in diameter. The worst 22 LR ammunition I have will shoot about 1.5" to 2.0", with over the counter Walmart 22LR holding about 1 1/4" to 1.5" in a good rifle. My conclusion, I am not holding the four inch ten ring at fifty yards with any pistol I own, so the inherent accuracy of the ammunition, even crappy ammunition, is well within my hold. Therefore, I am more concerned with perfect function. Will the ammunition reliably chamber, fire, and extract. If cheap ammunition will do that each and every time, that's the ammunition I want.

Slamfire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down