Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Spotting Scope question

+12
Jack H
James Hensler
10sandxs
Oleg G
PhotoEscape
Slartybartfast
valbern67
Wobbley
Wes Lorenz
CrankyThunder
SteveT
Stork
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Another Spotting Scope question Empty Another Spotting Scope question

Post by Stork 2/8/2020, 9:10 pm

l recently got my slow fire into the low 90's, but I cannot see my shots to confirm my call. I want to learn what I'm doing to produce a 10 vs 9 vs 8, and it seems like a spotting scope is the answer. I'm also trying to spend less than $100.

I've read most of the posts about spotting scopes and from watching others use theirs, I have a few questions. 

Is a 45 deg eye piece worth it? From watching shooters, it looks much more natural.

Is the ability to rotate the 45 deg eye piece portion relative to the mount a feature I should look for? The champions choice 10-30x50 and cheap Celestron look to have this, but many don't. Worth it?

What are my options for holding a scope if I cannot afford a shooting box? Janky and crude is fine if it's cheap. 

Thanks

Stork

Back to top Go down

Another Spotting Scope question Empty Re: Another Spotting Scope question

Post by SteveT 2/8/2020, 10:50 pm

You might get lucky with a sub $100 scope, but there aren't any that can reliably pick out 22 holes at 50 yards in less than ideal conditions. Sorry.

If I had to get a cheap scope this Champions Choice would probably be my first choice. If you can visit Champions Choice store at Camp Perry you can try several different models.

Angled eyepiece is significantly easier to use than straight.

If you are technically capable it should be possible to make a camera system to spot your target (if you are allowed to leave a camera down-range while shooting). A quick web search found this post. I am sure there are more options out there.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder 2/9/2020, 1:53 am

Dear Stork:

For what it is worth, a number of my teammates have that champions choice scope and they are very happy with it.  

The angled eyepiece is worth the extra cost (if it costs extra) and the ability to rotate is good too.  

Personally, my pistol box scope is not as good as the champions choice scope and I can see 22 holes at 50 yards so I have not had the desire to upgrade.  It is a much older model that champions choice offered years ago. 

Regards, 
Crankster
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz 2/9/2020, 2:59 am

Stork wrote:l recently got my slow fire into the low 90's, but I cannot see my shots to confirm my call. I want to learn what I'm doing to produce a 10 vs 9 vs 8, and it seems like a spotting scope is the answer. I'm also trying to spend less than $100.

I've read most of the posts about spotting scopes and from watching others use theirs, I have a few questions. 
Hi Stork,
I have an older "Focal" brand 17x60mm scope I use on my travel aluminum shooting box (I bought it off Ebay for $25). It is well built, has great glass, and is every bit as good as the Nikon I also have.

Here's a good deal: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Focal-Prismatic-Spotting-Scope-17x60mm/274211367881?hash=item3fd8456bc9:g:aJcAAOSwPa9eIrKT

Not connected with this ebay scope.
Wes
Wes Lorenz
Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by Stork 2/9/2020, 3:45 am

SteveT wrote:You might get lucky with a sub $100 scope, but there aren't any that can reliably pick out 22 holes at 50 yards in less than ideal conditions. Sorry.

I should have mentioned I currently only shoot .22 indoors at 50ft. Once I start shooting outdoors, I'll worry about that. For now, I'm hesitant to get caught up on seeing .22 holes at 50 yards because I don't need that right now. Right now, I'm hoping to solidify what is good vs bad in regards to my fundamentals.

Stork

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 2/9/2020, 3:03 pm

Most scopes can find 22 holes at 50 ft unless the lighting is bad. I've seen people use monoculars and binoculars when starting out. A camera with a decent zoom or a clip on telephoto lens for a smart phone might be able to do it.

If it was me, I would stretch a little and get the CC scope I link to above so there are more options going forward.

A box mounted scope is nice, but it won't take much longer to set up a small tripod and scope. I see people doing it sometimes. It shouldn't be a big deal.

Best of luck.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 2/9/2020, 4:07 pm

Rather than fooling around with zoom features on phones or spotting scope/adapters.  Get yorself a spotting scope in Commercial Row and then get one of these:

https://www.shootingmadeeasy.com/spot_shot/

Then attach to your scope whether mounted on a tripod or box mounted.  Have a cheap WiFi tablet or old smartphone and you can record shot strings.  No need to guess which shot was the bad one.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

RoyLMartinez0809 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by valbern67 2/11/2020, 10:59 pm

Wobbley wrote:Rather than fooling around with zoom features on phones or spotting scope/adapters.  Get yorself a spotting scope in Commercial Row and then get one of these:

Then attach to your scope whether mounted on a tripod or box mounted.  Have a cheap WiFi tablet or old smartphone and you can record shot strings.  No need to guess which shot was the bad one.

Wowza! What a Face

How do you like it?

V
valbern67
valbern67

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 2/11/2020, 11:10 pm

So far so good.
valbern67 wrote:
Wobbley wrote:Rather than fooling around with zoom features on phones or spotting scope/adapters.  Get yorself a spotting scope in Commercial Row and then get one of these:

Wowza! What a Face

How do you like it?

V
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 2/12/2020, 4:11 pm

OMG!
I've been looking all over for a possible solution. And was waiting for the Hawk from https://www.longshotcameras.com/ to be available (seems it finally is).
My scope can have T-mount adapters screwed to it and I have a T-mount to 10mm adapter but couldn't find a webcam that was suitable.

What software is the SME camera compatible with? The specs say "COMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT BULLSEYE APP". Which app is that?

The longshotcameras have their own app for detecting shots (https://www.longshotcameras.com/pages/targetvision-app).
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 2/12/2020, 6:05 pm

iOS 

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bullseye-target-manager/id812264899

Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Bullseye+Camera+Systems&hl=en_US
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 2/12/2020, 6:36 pm

$154.66 US for the SME camera and app compared to $324.10 for the longshotcameras camera and app sure has me interested in the SME camera.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 2/12/2020, 6:51 pm

Optics Planet sells SME products, and it is slightly cheaper - https://www.opticsplanet.com/sme-wifi-spotting-scope-camera.html

Side note, - you can find useful review posted by someone shooting BE at the above link.

However word of caution. This camera is compatible with scopes that have eyepiece up to 1.5", which is roughly 40mm. Scope from Champion Choice suggested above by SteveT, looks like, has larger diameter then that. Something to be verified.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 2/12/2020, 8:00 pm

PhotoEscape wrote:Optics Planet sells SME products, and it is slightly cheaper - https://www.opticsplanet.com/sme-wifi-spotting-scope-camera.html
10$US cheaper after international shipping isn't bad.

How's this for ridiculous? Cabelas.ca lists the SME for 149$CAN.

Canadian pesos, free shipping to me. 

Moral of the story ALWAYS keep looking till you're fed up.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 2/12/2020, 8:09 pm

For the US consumers: even better price on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/SME-WiFi-Spotting-Scope-Camera/dp/B07MC572D3/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 2/12/2020, 8:32 pm

Is the ability to rotate the 45 deg eye piece portion relative to the mount a feature I should look for? The champions choice 10-30x50 and cheap Celestron look to have this, but many don't. Worth it?
I have and use the 50mm objective celestron. I can see 90+% of 22 holes at 50 yards in so so lighting conditions. For the price, I think I paid $50 or so, and size I'm happy with it.  I mount the scope directly to the box (no swing arm) so different bench heights give me issues. The angled eye piece and mount rotation are very handy to resolve this. I believe there is also a 60mm objective version. I suspect that one would allow you to see 22 holes at 50 yards. I was going for minimal size weight and knew I'd give up something on the long line

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 2/12/2020, 8:49 pm

I am one the idiots who spent almost 285 to get the NG 20x33 but I love it! Can see 22’s in any light at 50 and the glass is as clear as it gets! But the damn thing cost 285!!!!!!!
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 2/12/2020, 9:21 pm

I would find a good used Bushnell Sentry 20X
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 2/12/2020, 9:59 pm

James Hensler wrote:I am one the idiots who spent almost 285 to get the NG 20x33 but I love it! Can see 22’s in any light at 50 and the glass is as clear as it gets! But the damn thing cost 285!!!!!!!
If you're an idiot, I'm certifiably insane. Spent 600$Can on my scope. And the hundreds for a Ray-Vin scope stand and bench mount. :p
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley 2/12/2020, 10:28 pm

Jack H wrote:I would find a good used Bushnell Sentry 20X

I have one setting in the SUV for outdoor range trips. I bought it in about 1976 or 77 and maybe I spent $50 on it.  Somewhere I lost the 30X  eyepiece  and with just 20X 22's are a bit of an issue at 50 yards.
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 2/12/2020, 11:40 pm

I have the Bushnell Sentry, 2 B&L old green scopes from my benchrest and prone days, and have or have used a Bushnell Competitor, one of the short stubby Leupolds, and a Leupold big 45deg scope, and last, the CMP little Kowa with 45deg eyepiece.  For pistol box, I prefer the Bushnells.

B&L
Another Spotting Scope question Spotsc11

I added a weight to it
Another Spotting Scope question Spotsc12
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 2/12/2020, 11:57 pm

Slartybartfast wrote:
James Hensler wrote:I am one the idiots who spent almost 285 to get the NG 20x33 but I love it! Can see 22’s in any light at 50 and the glass is as clear as it gets! But the damn thing cost 285!!!!!!!
If you're an idiot, I'm certifiably insane. Spent 600$Can on my scope. And the hundreds for a Ray-Vin scope stand and bench mount. :p
This is my setup!
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 2/12/2020, 11:59 pm

Another Spotting Scope question 1ca93d10
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 2/13/2020, 12:10 am

Under 50.00. I have 3 of these scopes. Burris Compact. A lot of scopes won't focus at 50'. These work great with a focus wheel. No twisting the scope to focus. There are 3 on Ebay right now. I know nothing about the individual scopes.. NFI  I wish the one I am posting had a picture of the lens instead of the cover. These scopes come up a lot on Ebay. Burris sold/gave them away with their hunting scopes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BURRIS-SPOTTING-SCOPE/114111078668?hash=item1a918ce10c:g:fOQAAOSwUOReRAmk

Another Spotting Scope question S-l1600
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 2/13/2020, 1:46 am

The Burris IS a great scope. I had one, loved it... till the internal focus mirror fell out. Sent it in, they sent me back a massive 80mm scope cause mine was discontinued...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next