Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marvel conversion,yes or no

+5
Dave C.
Jack H
DavidR
BE Mike
Flytrap1
9 posters

Go down

Marvel conversion,yes or no Empty Marvel conversion,yes or no

Post by Flytrap1 Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:46 am

I'm thinking about getting a marvel conversion for my 1911. I would like some advice as to whether or not this is a good decision. Are they accurate enough, are they worth the money, do they malfunction?(I hate alibis!!!) Thanks.

Flytrap1

Back to top Go down

Marvel conversion,yes or no Empty Re: Marvel conversion,yes or no

Post by BE Mike Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:12 pm

Mine has been very reliable and seems accurate. Mine came with a very small test target group. I think that they are worth the money. I use the metal magazines and I had to tune them to get them to function, but once tuned (bent the feed lips) the unit keeps on going and going and going...
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:18 pm

They are plenty accurate, but as someone who has built 4 complete marvel guns i can tell you they are problematic if not done right, rarely can you buy one and just bolt it on a lower and it run good. The best luck i had was to have a caspian lower built with all top notch componets and fitted to my conversion. That only leaves the marvel issues to deal with, some funtion fine most will have feeding issues from time to time stove piping a round as it is being loaded. Usually its a mag issue and some over come it by sling shotting the first round in by pulling the slide all the way back and letting it fly. I prefer a 22 that runs 100% all the time with no alibies and considering the cost to build a marvel rigt, there are many 22 target grade pistols to choose from. Last marvel i built i had 1800.00 in. I did pay extra to marvel for a .3'' conversion but most of the money was in the lower. My aw93 i shoot now is as accurate but has none of the issues. If your goal is too have a 22 feel close to your 45 then its the way to go.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:26 pm

I have my Marvel mounted on a Springfield Armory lower and did a trigger job. I think the Marvels don't do nearly as well when they are mounted on custom frames or oversize frames. The only thing I would do differently is mount mine on a Springfield Armory Trophy Match because it comes with the front strap checkered and the Loaded doesn't. I am using the Wilson checkered front strap, but I'd like the checkering to be permanent. I also like the trigger to match the weight of my wad gun (3.75 lbs).
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:18 pm

Consider the Nighthawk conversion.  I have gone through 3 Marvel Precision units (one the steel lockback), 3 Advantage Arms (one the Bob Marvel enhanced), and now the Nighthawk.  The Nighthawk has been the most reliable. 

The accuracy claims from Advantage Arms are exactly what I have experienced. Which is 1" with Eley type ammo, and 1.5 with CCI etc.  The Bob Marvel version is not detectably better. 
I have never duplicated the Marvel Precision group size claims with the ammo they listed or any other ammo.  And I have ransomed them all except Lapua and hi level RWS
Accuracy between all of the units to me is equal.  Especially considering we mainly shoot CCI, Aguila, or Eley Sport.

All these units have fit nicely on 3 different Toyota made Les Baers, and my original Gold Cup (1963 made).  The slide stop plunger is the only thing I have had to fiddle with to make them work.

Remember that accuracy from your hand has more to do with your fundamentals and the quality of your trigger.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave C. Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:01 pm

I have two Marvels and they have worked well on all the frames I have tried them on Giles, Clark, Stock Colt, Caspian,Dinan and Springfield.  
This is using any or all of the 4 steel mags.  Yes I had to tweak the mags when I bought them.  I do replace the recoil spring every case (5000 rounds) of ammo.

Dave C.
Dave C.
Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:07 pm

Dave C. wrote:I have two Marvels and they have worked well on all the frames I have tried them on Giles, Clark, Stock Colt, Caspian,Dinan and Springfield.  
This is using any or all of the 4 steel mags.  Yes I had to tweak the mags when I bought them.  I do replace the recoil spring every case (5000 rounds) of ammo.

Dave C.

I stand corrected regarding the Marvel and custom frames. I was basing my opinion on a buddy who had one mounted on a custom frame and had problems. This was a long time ago and was able to have the unit fitted to the frame and function properly.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by WVBE Shooter Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:16 pm

I dont have a .22 conversion, however a few of the guys at my club shoot them.  It seems that every match there is an alibi caused by one of them.

WVBE Shooter

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:23 pm

Marvels will do just fine for bullseye.  Don't mess around with trying to get all the way down to 2.5 lb triggers, get some good magazines, use close to standard mainspring weights (do not go much below 19 lb) and just shoot the thing.  Most people with problems are trying to get too light triggers or the disconnectors are too long (or the disconnector slot is not centered over the disconnector, which is the only real design / tolerance issue that I've seen lately).  Rock River slide stop pin holes (and some Les Baers) are a little small for the Marvel slide stop sometimes.  Lastly, some magazine catches are so worn that the magazine will sit a little low.  Just get a new catch, but the EGW oversize magazine catch is generally too high for the Ace magazines, so don't go there. 

I've been shooting Marvels for years, shoot some good scores, even made the Mayleigh Cup team one year with one.  If you get one and it does not work well, just try it on another frame.   

Cecil "Ain't at Perry This Year" Rhodes

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:00 am

I've been fortunate with my Marvel.  It has worked 100% on every frame I have, and with every brand of SV ammo I've run through it.  It shows no preference for dependability on the 2 types of magazines I've tried,  Colt and GSG.

I'm well pleases.  Any shot not in the x, wasn't the fault of the ammo or pistol.

Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by jakuda Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Well it turns our from my personal experience, accuracy is great, magazines can be finicky (the plastic Kimber ones and GSG ones are fine, never had luck with the Colt ace mags), however my firing pin broke after less than 5,000 rounds, and it's hard to diagnose, because the tip doesn't fall out...and then rounds start to jam on feed for no reason.

jakuda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down