Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I may have been shooting with a handicap

3 posters

Go down

I may have been shooting with a handicap Empty I may have been shooting with a handicap

Post by MkFiji 5/25/2024, 1:28 am

So I installed my Kart XACT fit myself because I was told that was the path to a more accurate pistol.  I fit it per instructions until I was able to make contact point on the lower lug legs, it said to leave it tight, and experience will determine how hard of a lock it'll be.  Having no experience of what an accurate 1911 45acp should feel like I left it hard, very hard, so that it took two hands to take the barrel out of battery.  Oddly enough I was shooting better, with this very hard to rack Kart, than my stock Target Loaded barrel.  So I thought that was it, got into reloading, found a load that I shot well with, and dry fired a lot.

My scores with my 1911 were never really great nor match up to how I shoot with 22.  When I shot my recently acquired revolver I would sometimes get very nice groups at 50 yards, something I've done with 22 but never with my 1911.

I started doubting myself and thought it was recoil that was holding me back(since that's the difference between calibers right?) and explored lead options

Wanting to see how good SWCHP is I found myself disappointed https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t23424-disappointed-with-zero-185gr-swchp, but Bruce Martindale mentioned something that got me thinking.  He said he had a gun unlock too fast it had a high recoil.  It got me thinking, what if my upper lug engagement is too low that it's coming out of battery quickly, after all, I left it very tight.  So, I touch up the upper lugs and was finally able to pull the slide back with one hand, with great difficulty. Shot a match and my groupings seemed better, but still scored the same as I was still finding zero.  Unsure about touching the upper lugs more I called Kart, something I should've done a long time ago, and asked how hard the lockup should be. He says to touch up the lugs until I can just bump it out.  I had difficulty gauging what a bump is, seeing how recoil springs are different and my inexperience. So I post the question on the 1911forum and got a very good response. https://www.1911forum.com/threads/kart-xact-fit-upper-lug-engagement.1065884/ 

I followed their instructions, got a slide I rack back easily, and went out to shoot.  First couple groups were pretty bad, but then it seemed to get tighter.  Shots seemed to be on call as well, something I couldn't do well with the 1911 and I figured I was just a bad shot.  Then, I shot this grouping:

I may have been shooting with a handicap Img_5411

Excited about this grouping, of course, I threw the next 5 shots for this target!

But then I shot the best grouping I've ever done at 50 yards:
I may have been shooting with a handicap Img_5410

I was SO happy—I was jumping for joy throwing fists in the air! I finally have a barrel that's accurate that I can have confidence in!  Of course, my elation had the next 5 go off pretty bad.  I would recall something from Bruce Martindale's book that touched upon that subject along the lines of: shooting well is bad for you

Maybe it was a lot of luck to get that grouping.  So I loaded various charges and tested them by shooting a 900 and I did a lot better than I've done before, even shot my highest slow:

I may have been shooting with a handicap Img_5610

Also, SWCHP doesn't feel like it kicks hard anymore either Smile

With only 2 EIC's available that I can compete in, I'm super stoke that I have more confidence in my pistol and myself.  With my biggest dream to be distinguished this year and getting hard legs in Canton and Cardinal—I think I need to dry fire more

Just wanted to share my 5 month story of fitting a Kart Barrel.  

Looking to shoot some X's at the Sunnyvale Memorial 2700 on Monday!

Last edited by MkFiji on 5/26/2024, 10:29 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Formatting, spellcheck)

MkFiji

Back to top Go down

I may have been shooting with a handicap Empty Re: I may have been shooting with a handicap

Post by SingleActionAndrew 5/25/2024, 9:55 am

Congratulations on your progress with the pistol and new skills! The 1911forum thread was a good read
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew
Admin

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

I may have been shooting with a handicap Empty Re: I may have been shooting with a handicap

Post by jareds06 5/25/2024, 10:16 pm

Awesome results! Great shooting as well. I plan on doing something similar to a Tisas 1911 I have to start shooting the .45 match instead of shooting 2700s .22 only. Good to know that those plans are not unrealistic.
jareds06
jareds06

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MkFiji 5/26/2024, 10:34 am

jareds06 wrote:Awesome results! Great shooting as well. I plan on doing something similar to a Tisas 1911 I have to start shooting the .45 match instead of shooting 2700s .22 only. Good to know that those plans are not unrealistic.

If you're going to fit a Kart XACT fit in your Tisas and you need a reamer and fitting kit, I have a reamer and kit I can sell to you.

I had to take a lot of hood off the XACT fit to fit my SA Target Loaded so I had to ream my barrel quite a bit

I have no plans for fitting more barrels but it was definitely a learning experience that was Type 2 fun.  I actually messed up my first Kart barrel but touching the lower lugs(don't do that) and ended up speed running my 2nd, but incomplete, fit in 8 hours first file to finish reaming.  I'll be looking to BE gunsmiths like Jon Eulette for more accuracy now

MkFiji

jareds06 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down