Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gage for brass

+7
james r chapman
fc60
Dulcmrman
Pinetree
Wes Lorenz
RoyDean
onlylead
11 posters

Go down

Gage for brass Empty Gage for brass

Post by onlylead 7/15/2024, 10:22 am

What is a Martindale gage. Was mentioned in a earlier post about 45 brass. 
 Thanks

onlylead

Back to top Go down

Gage for brass Empty Re: Gage for brass

Post by RoyDean 7/15/2024, 11:27 am

Try searching

Martindale + gauge

RoyDean

KBarth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz 7/15/2024, 1:26 pm

onlylead wrote:What is a Martindale gage. Was mentioned in a earlier post about 45 brass. 
 Thanks
Here is a photo of how I pirated a "Bruce Martindale gauge" into a crimp gauge I made. Mine is a .476" bored thru hole for Starline brass. Other makes of brass are different diameters.
Lower photo is a very quick way to measure crimp via the counter bores.

Gage for brass Cimg0510
Gage for brass Cimg0517
Wes Lorenz
Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinetree 7/15/2024, 2:26 pm

I got the last one.

Pinetree
Pinetree

Back to top Go down

Post by Dulcmrman 7/15/2024, 9:38 pm

I have a standard .45 ACP case gauge into which one drops the loaded round.  The base of the round should be flush with the gauge opening to pass.  I'm certain you are all familiar with this tool.

I also have another gauge for .45ACP brass fashioned from a hex nut, the inside of which has been machined to a precise dimension.  Brass "should" pass through this gauge easily.  However, on rare occasions, a loaded round will not drop into the standard gauge.  When using the hex nut gauge, I find that the round passes through the nut until the base of the round enters and then stops.

Careful measuring indicates that the base of the cartridge just above the web is larger than all the other rounds.

I don't know what causes this phenomenon, and I have discovered that these slightly larger rounds chamber in MY barrel.

I am now researching records to see if I can find this gauge to see where I bought it.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman

Dulcmrman

Allan Campbell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 7/16/2024, 11:07 am

Greetings,

I think you will find that your barrel is the best all around gauge.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

DA/SA and jcullen47 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/16/2024, 11:17 am

fc60 wrote:Greetings,

I think you will find that your barrel is the best all around gauge.

Cheers,

Dave
I just really hate tearing my slide down that far!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe 7/16/2024, 12:22 pm

I use a Shokbottle gage on my loaded rounds- it shows up rough cases and split brass you might not see. Also have an Asimov for 38 spl. Don't leave home without em.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter 7/16/2024, 3:15 pm

Dulcmrman wrote:I have a standard .45 ACP case gauge into which one drops the loaded round.  The base of the round should be flush with the gauge opening to pass.  I'm certain you are all familiar with this tool.

I also have another gauge for .45ACP brass fashioned from a hex nut, the inside of which has been machined to a precise dimension.  Brass "should" pass through this gauge easily.  However, on rare occasions, a loaded round will not drop into the standard gauge.  When using the hex nut gauge, I find that the round passes through the nut until the base of the round enters and then stops.

Careful measuring indicates that the base of the cartridge just above the web is larger than all the other rounds.

I don't know what causes this phenomenon, and I have discovered that these slightly larger rounds chamber in MY barrel.

I am now researching records to see if I can find this gauge to see where I bought it.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman

Dennis,

I also have one of those HEX NUT Martindale gauges which came with printed instructions on its proper use.
It works fine when sorting fired brass for excessive bulges and cracks.
I found a Dillon Precision gauge as well that is used for loaded rounds.  When I dropped a few of the rounds
I use at our league matches I saw that most stopped at the top of the extraction groove.
I've found that some brass will bulge as the web weakens from multiple firings.  I bought a quantity of new
Starline brass to mitigate this problem.
Of course, the inner dimensions of +P are smaller and will require a downward adjustment in powder to avoid
excessive pressures.

Mike
45+P brass that has strengthening at the web to mitigate this problem.

mbmshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 7/17/2024, 4:48 am

Dulcmrman wrote:Snip....
I also have another gauge for .45ACP brass fashioned from a hex nut, the inside of which has been machined to a precise dimension.

Snip

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
From ME sir, but it's been a while since I made them.
The phenomenon I guess is that the unsupported region of the chamber allows the brass to bulge with repeated target loads or on first shot from a Glock. Rims also hammer out and no longer fit the breechface of some slides. You can guess where I am right now but when I return I'll try to make some again 

Thanks

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

shanneba likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 7/17/2024, 12:52 pm

If you start making them again I will buy one.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down