Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

22 with shortest trigger reach?

+5
chiz1180
mbmshooter
NukeMMC
RoyDean
Scota4570
9 posters

Go down

22 with shortest trigger reach? Empty 22 with shortest trigger reach?

Post by Scota4570 Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:39 pm

I shoot a Colt Woodsman Match Target.  I can not reach the trigger and pull straight back into the web of my hand.  In other words my trigger finger is pointing foreword and pressing on the side of the trigger.  Same with any 1911 using the shortest triggers made.  Changes in grip  that correct the pull angle are not suitable for accurate shooting.  

Of the top quality pistols which ones should I be looking at.

Scota4570

Back to top Go down

22 with shortest trigger reach? Empty Re: 22 with shortest trigger reach?

Post by RoyDean Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:53 pm

Pardini SP22 (and HP32) have triggers that are user adjustable fore/aft, up/down, rotate. Pardini offer a small (and even XS for juniors, I think) or you could get a 3D printed grip from Precision Pistol Grips. There are many other brands/models that offer some trigger position adjustment, but in the current market for top quality 22's Pardini is market dominant.

Finding a suitable 45 is much more challenging. I have heard of 1911's with reduced thickness front strap and rear MSH, but that is very specialized work and not, AFAIK, in the main stream. Most other 45ACP guns are double stack and, therefore, even less suitable.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:01 pm

I have a 208s, AW93, GSP Expert and HS Victor.  I will measure each for distance from top-rear of frame to center of trigger shoe at most rearward position (if adjustable). A friend is using my Pardini (and quite soundly kicking my butt) otherwise I would measure that also.

For the 1911, get a grip safety that provides lowest profile and may need someone to mill the trigger shoe down to minimum functional and shave thickness from the top of the right grip panel.

Last edited by NukeMMC on Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:03 pm

There are a number of Euro pistols with significant trigger adjustments that might work for you.  I've found the Hammerli 208s
to be very good for smaller hands and folks with difficulty reaching the trigger comfortably.
It's LOP adjustment might be enough for you to get your finger in proper position.

Mike

mbmshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:14 pm

Here are dimensions from my pistols. All measurements taken from center of trigger at its rear-most adjustment to the center of the backstrap where the web of the thumb sits:
208s, Rink grips - 2.430"
208s Hammerli grips - 2.465"
HS Victor - 2.565"
Feinwerkbau AW93 - 2.415"
Walther GSP Expert Horton grips - 2.460"
Walther GSP Expert Walther grips - 2.480"

22 with shortest trigger reach? 20240719
Top row l-r: Hammerli 208s K-N grips, Hammerli 208s stock grips, HS Victor Horton grips
Bottom row l-r: Walther GSPExpert Horton grips, Feinwerkbau AW93 stock grips
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

samtoast likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:19 pm

I have a couple short 1911 triggers:
22 with shortest trigger reach? 20240720
The bottom one is an EGW long, for comparison.

The top, GI trigger measures 0.305" from inside the bow to face of trigger. That is about as short a trigger as is functional in a 1911.

Middle short trigger measures 0.375".

Happy to mail either/both for you to try.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Allgoodhits likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Scota4570 Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:07 pm

Thanks for the great information, and so fast!

I measured some guns I have:

1911, Essex 2.51, 

Springfield match 1911 with the short trigger,  2.60.   I think I am going to reduce a spare trigger as much as I can and see. 

Others I have, 
Woodsman match target, 2.56, feels long
K-frames @ full cock 2.37, feels good
IZH-46 10M air pistol, 2.41, feels a bit long

I also shoot muzzleloaders.  I have made several underhammers of my own design.  I make ultra ergonomic grips that fit me perfectly.  They fit like smooshed clay.  They are much rounder than other pistols, as your hand actually is.  Two that feel perfect to me are 2.08 and 1.87.  Very short, but I do get the 90* angle between my finger pad and the trigger.  

I need to check out the Pardini.  

Thanks,
Scot

Scota4570

Back to top Go down

Post by Scota4570 Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:35 pm

No Pardini or Hamerli on the California Handgun roster.

Scota4570

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:44 pm

Scota4570 wrote:No Pardini or Hamerli on the California Handgun roster.
https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/op.pdf
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:57 pm

The grip angle is also an important consideration in regards to both reach and comfort.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by 8eightring Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:15 pm

I have a heck of a time with the triggers on a Smith model 41. They are very difficult for me. I don't know what the difference is between them and a 1911 trigger. I sanded a set of grips to as thin as I dared on a model 41 with only a minor improvement in trigger reach.  
I was created with short fingers. Shorter triggers work so much better for me on a 1911 22 conversion.
8eightring
8eightring

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:57 am

Original poster inquired specifically 22lr, quality, shortest trigger reach. This leads me to offer options specific to the 22lr platform. You probably want to look at pistols where grip module does not have metal frame, so the thickness can be as thin as you like. This includes Pardini, Morini CM if you can find one and Matchguns MG2. Besides ability to adjust triggers all the way back, their grips are screwed on by a bolt and there is nothing else really in the grip itself. So you can sand down the thickness to a bare minimum if you have to.

Tripscape

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:17 am

Some thoughts.

Trigger control is paramount. This is best accomplished when trigger can be pressed straight to rear without lateral bias. One can hold the gun upside down sideways, or hold it it with one hand and pull the trigger with finger from other hand, and if hold is reasonable and gun is not disturbed while pulling the trigger the results will be good. Therefore, if you have no other alternative, such as different gun or different grips, or different trigger, then adapting the gripping to enable the trigger to be pressed straight to the rear is the best accommodation. In concert with this, changing your foot positions may help with the off-center gripping.

Next thought. If you have a 1911 with a conversion kit, such as Marvel or Nelson, try finger placement, even shooting it without the grips. If that helps, then you could shoot it that way, or find thin grip panels. If you shoot it without the grips, then make sure that during your gripping that you do not put pressure on the magazine, as it may cause it to move , and may cause misfeeding.

Next thought. I use the shortest 1911 triggers I can find. BROWNELLS has them. In many cases minor fitting may be required, but it is easy. Most often some material must be removed from the top or bottom of the trigger pad, for the new one to fit in the trigger channel of the frame. The material is typically aluminum or plastic. Triggers are reasonably inexpensive, so if you mess up, no big deal.

Last. IMO, the trigger and control off is without a doubt the most critical and hardest to master. I refer to trigger control and trigger finger as the "eraser". One can do everything else pertaining to shooting perfectly, yet the trigger can erase it all in an instant. Whereas, perfect finger/trigger control can mask other shooting errors.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:55 pm

I seem to recall Jerry Keefer , one of the most innovative gunsmiths ever, made a 1911 a M 41 and a M52 trigger for a lady he was coaching that was nearly flush with the frame. I speculate , you can probably grind a short flat trigger 3 to 5mm before effecting function. 

I agree with All good hits. Grip , stance and trigger control helps. 

I have medium hands but a short index finger and I shoot 1911 with a Greider Medium trigger and a shoe and flat MSH. If you have 1911 under cutting the trigger guard will help. 

Browning makes 3 different frame sizes and I bet the URX is the most comfortable for you. Contour URX is likely the best out of the box for Bullseye, The trigger is good out of the box but can be made very good with a few tricks.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down