Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recovery from rotator cuff tears?

+4
shootingsight
SingleActionAndrew
Gustavo1957
bruce martindale
8 posters

Go down

Recovery from rotator cuff tears? Empty Recovery from rotator cuff tears?

Post by bruce martindale 7/21/2024, 8:51 pm

As posted on FB, anyone here regain their hold , scores and stability after RC and wrist injury?

What did you do to resolve?

Rough week at Perry….this stuff isn’t fun.

Thanks

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Gustavo1957 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Recovery from rotator cuff tears? Empty Re: Recovery from rotator cuff tears?

Post by Gustavo1957 7/21/2024, 9:17 pm

Bruce,

On my Right Side I've had  Shoulder RC Tear, Bone Spur with 8mm bone spur removal,  RS Carpal Tunnel, RS CMG bone removal behind thumb,  and RS Wrist Fusion..  Surgeries never fun. 

I've had excellent PT in Cobleskill, NY.. and have to do my  personal exercises at home with various equipment every day ,  Not easy. 

But I still shoot right-handed for now.

Gustavo1957

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew 7/21/2024, 9:29 pm

Gustavo1957 wrote:RS Wrist Fusion..
Cheater parts!!  Laughing

I say this jokingly. I'm not supposed to ride roller coasters for the rest of my life. I'm so glad I got my (neck) surgery and am back shooting again. The option I chose probably isn't the best for shooting (high mobility) but am so glad I went under the knife and got back on the line.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gustavo1957 7/22/2024, 5:46 am

I would add that preparing for surgeries is just as important as post surgical activities and PT.

My surgeon at OrthoNY recommended getting an Ice Man unit that has a double sided shoulder pad that allows iced water to flow thru to minimize swelling and help reduce pain.  Bought on Amazon.

The unit has a clear plastic tank that holds ice and water that is pumped thru tubes to the shoulder pad. I've used it for hand surgeries and loaned it out to people having knee surgeries and other operations. Having a larger capacity of ice means less other people have to help you or yourself moving around.

Small ice packs just don't provide enough cold for extended periods and don't stay in place.

I had Xrays & MRI at the end of May and found a tendon tear and bone spur on left shoulder that needs surgery. The Cortisone shot helped a lot for now till I can pick the right timing. I just can't reliably lift any weight over my head.

Bad arthritis family genetics.

Gustavo1957

wjwillia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by shootingsight 7/22/2024, 8:16 am

I had it 10 years ago.  It took a good year until I felt I had full range of movement back, but still can't throw a ball worth a darn.  I either need one of those ball chucker claws, or maybe I need a dog with shorter legs.

shootingsight

Back to top Go down

Post by msmith44 7/22/2024, 8:44 am

Gustavo1957 wrote:I would add that preparing for surgeries is just as important as post surgical activities and PT.

My surgeon at OrthoNY recommended getting an Ice Man unit that has a double sided shoulder pad that allows iced water to flow thru to minimize swelling and help reduce pain.  Bought on Amazon.

The unit has a clear plastic tank that holds ice and water that is pumped thru tubes to the shoulder pad. I've used it for hand surgeries and loaned it out to people having knee surgeries and other operations. Having a larger capacity of ice means less other people have to help you or yourself moving around.

Small ice packs just don't provide enough cold for extended periods and don't stay in place.

I had Xrays & MRI at the end of May and found a tendon tear and bone spur on left shoulder that needs surgery. The Cortisone shot helped a lot for now till I can pick the right timing. I just can't reliably lift any weight over my head.

Bad arthritis family genetics.
Fill small plastic water bottles and freeze. Use in the ICEMAN fill with water. Freeze enough bottles to be able to change out every 4-6 hours. Worked for me for hip, knee and shoulder replacements. Ice is your friend because you get over pain meds faster.

-m-

msmith44

chopper and Gustavo1957 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax 7/22/2024, 9:34 am

Had RC surgery on the right side in 2009. Tore it during a powerful boomerang toss!
PT after was way more painful than the surgery, but well worth it in the end.
Learning how to shoot lefty was an interesting, and surprisingly easy transition too.
Back to right hand shooting, and no long term effects, with regained full mobility.
You'll be fine!
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Post by Scota4570 7/22/2024, 12:24 pm

I've torn both sides.  Right side, throwing stuff overhand.  The pain was mostly throwing stuff overhand.  I never got it fixed.  It is better now.

Left side was much worse.  I coule not lift my arm.  90% separation of the tendon and tearing of the meniscus was  revealed by MRI one year after injury.  

The first doctor did an X-ray 6-weeks after injury, found nothing and prescribed PT and Tylenol.  PT made it worse and simply reinjured it every week.  The second doc at 1-year out wanted to do surgery immediately, I declined.  What he proposed made no sense to me.  

Surgeons almost always recommend surgery.  It is what they do.  In my case id did not understand how doing more damage was to my benefit.  Do your homework.   

A  couple of years after injury of the left side,  I am doing pilaties twice a week.  It hurt at first.  It has eliminated the pain and brought my strength back to 100%.  Range of motion is almost normal.  I am in better shape and 61 than I was at 40.  

Pilates works fine muscles and builds control, flexibility, and strength.  It have helped my scores quite a bit.  It is much more intense and difficult than you might imagine.

Scota4570

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 7/23/2024, 8:28 am

Minor tear right side, both damaged (micro-tears and some impingement, but not bad enough for surgery) from decades of hockey. PT was very helpful, pulling through scar tissue and improving range of motion. The best exercise in PT was the Bodyblade so I bought one on Amazon (~$110). Much better than weights for strengthening the muscles around the shoulder capsule. Even for folks without shoulder damage, IMHO the Bodyblade is a great device for improving strength and endurance for pistol shooting.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down