Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

X-Series Victors?

+8
8eightring
Jack H
John Dervis
alaronstein
Bmitch996
BE Mike
james r chapman
mr alexander
12 posters

Go down

X-Series Victors? Empty X-Series Victors?

Post by mr alexander 7/25/2024, 8:12 am

Please click on the following: https://highstandardfirearmsusa.com/%22x-series%22

Are these pistols as good as the original High Standards that were manufactured in

Hamden, Connecticut? Your comments regarding their quality are much appreciated.

If it was needed, how good was the customer service you received? Thank you.
mr alexander
mr alexander

Back to top Go down

X-Series Victors? Empty Re: X-Series Victors?

Post by james r chapman 7/25/2024, 9:12 am

Also these guys 

https://www.highstandardofmt.com/
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 7/25/2024, 11:37 am

I have no personal experience with the Montana group, but I've heard good things about them. I'd put my money with them, if I needed a High Standard.
BE Mike
BE Mike

brdrgrd and kc.crawford.7 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmitch996 7/26/2024, 5:56 am

Mr Alexander 

if you go to the website you show and click on shop now it redirects you to the Interarms website and it states that they do not sell firearms.  They only sell parts now.  I have experience with the X series Victor  I bought one a few years ago when they were building and selling them.  It was not very good, I had a number of problems with it.  I have no first hand knowledge of the Montana guns but I would stay away from the OFM/Interarms Texas guns of a few years ago.

Bmitch996

BE Mike and bmize1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alaronstein 7/28/2024, 8:13 am

I am here at Camp Perry. There are MANY High Standard Pistols that are used in the matches. A modest % are Houston Pistols. They seem to be working well on the line. I have NOT received any complaints on our "X-Series" or any other of the other Houston pistols in a long time ??? In fact, I have only received praise on our "X-Series".  I had to work on 3 CT pistols that wouldn't make trigger weight. I have adjusted some CT and Houston magazines- which is ALWAYS expected.  Thanks to all of our loyal customers !!! I have reserved the Club House for the High Standard 75th Anniversary at Camp Perry.- Alan Aronstein

alaronstein

Hawkja likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mr alexander 7/30/2024, 12:06 pm

Bmitch996 wrote:Mr Alexander 

I have experience with the X series Victor  I bought one a few years ago when they were building and selling them.  It was not very good, I had a number of problems with it.  I have no first hand knowledge of the Montana guns but I would stay away from the OFM/Interarms Texas guns of a few years ago.
Bmitch996,

Thank you for the reply. What type of problems were encountered with your X-Series Pistol? 

Did OFM/Interarms Texas offer to fix them? I might have missed it, but I didn't see anything 

on their website about a warranty policy.

Last edited by mr alexander on 7/30/2024, 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added content)
mr alexander
mr alexander

Back to top Go down

Post by mr alexander 7/30/2024, 12:32 pm

alaronstein wrote:I have adjusted some CT and Houston magazines- which is ALWAYS expected. - Alan Aronstein
Alan Aronstein,

The topic of magazine feed lip adjusting comes up quite often at the local range. Once this task is performed, 

is it wrong to expect the magazines to hold their adjustment indefinitely, barring any abuse? Or, is it perfectly 

normal that continued use will mean that re-tuning will still be necessary once again down the road?
mr alexander
mr alexander

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 7/30/2024, 2:45 pm

Mr. Alexander,

I am not Alan but I can relate my experience with magazines and adjustment.  With good quality mags (original CT and the newest Houston versions) the magazines should hold adjustment indefinitely unless you damage the mag lips (drop one) or change the ammo you are using.  I am currently using a pair of Houston mags for the last 6-7 years that I adjusted back when I got them and they have hummed along ever since.  These work in two different HS Victors (CT made) and have worked with CCI, CMP ELEY, and Aguila.  I haven't tried other ammo brands but these three seem similar enough in shape they all work the same for me in my guns. 
  I have a third HS which is a Houston Citation that I use different magazines in but only because I had that gun first and adjusted two magazines for it many years ago.  For a long time I only used Remington SV in that gun as a trainer so the ammo was a little different too.
  In my experience, once they are adjusted, they work for a long time.

Hope that helps.
John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 7/30/2024, 2:57 pm

I have some mags I adjusted over 50years ago following instructions from LTC Miller.  These mags work perfectly in several HS
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by 8eightring 7/30/2024, 5:22 pm

Does anyone still manufacture and sell complete High Standard pistols?
8eightring
8eightring

Back to top Go down

Post by alaronstein 7/30/2024, 5:55 pm

The "X-Series" Victor Pistols and other Models have been continually manufactured in the High Standard Plant in Houston TX since 1993 with an Approx 45 day stoppage in 2019. The gunsmiths that produce these FINE Pistols were trained by Bob Shea (a High Standard Legend). We currently Produce the "X-Series" Victor and, the Supermatic Trophy is returning to the market after we get over our recent Tornado and Hurricane Problems from late June to mid July. A NEW High Standard Rifle is in the works for late this year. It is Stainless Steel and, it uses a 10rd Rotary Magazine. ALL High Standard Houston Firearms have a Limited Lifetime warranty. We also manufacture Original CT specification parts and offer service ALL High Standard Pistols back to 1932. We still have limited parts for and service the Revolvers, Derringers, and Duramatics. I have only heard a VERY few complaints about our pistols. I beleive that we have addressed ALL of them. As I have said many times, call me if you have a problem !!!- Alan Aronstein

alaronstein

Back to top Go down

Post by alaronstein 7/30/2024, 6:11 pm

The CT Factory Magazines and TX High Standard factory Magazines are EXCELLENT !!! They are Heat Treated and have the correct geometry that has been gauged by the original CT Gauges. They should hold their shape for many years and rounds. They might need to be adjusted for some bullet shapes. They should be cleaned-the CT instructions say every 300rds ?? The springs and followers DO wear out. Recoil Springs are an issue !!! I have seen that a NEW magazine or spring will STOP a slide with a worn out recoil spring. I think that the TX magazines are the BEST !!!- Alan Aronstein

alaronstein

Back to top Go down

Post by 8eightring 7/30/2024, 8:07 pm

alaronstein wrote:The "X-Series" Victor Pistols and other Models have been continually manufactured in the High Standard Plant in Houston TX since 1993 with an Approx 45 day stoppage in 2019. The gunsmiths that produce these FINE Pistols were trained by Bob Shea (a High Standard Legend). We currently Produce the "X-Series" Victor and, the Supermatic Trophy is returning to the market after we get over our recent Tornado and Hurricane Problems from late June to mid July. A NEW High Standard Rifle is in the works for late this year. It is Stainless Steel and, it uses a 10rd Rotary Magazine. ALL High Standard Houston Firearms have a Limited Lifetime warranty. We also manufacture Original CT specification parts and offer service ALL High Standard Pistols back to 1932. We still have limited parts for and service the Revolvers, Derringers, and Duramatics. I have only heard a VERY few complaints about our pistols. I beleive that we have addressed ALL of them. As I have said many times, call me if you have a problem !!!- Alan Aronstein
OK, I went to the Interarmstx.com website and in BOLD letters it said "WE DO NOT SELL FIREARMS". 
I have to say I am a little confused.  
I am just checking because I have made a safe queen out of my CT. Supermatic Trophy. I was worried about breaking it and never being able to replace it.
Love that 22
8eightring
8eightring

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 7/30/2024, 8:53 pm

Not off the website.  You’ll have to get a FFL to order one for you.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 7/31/2024, 7:18 am

I'm old enough to remember the old Bullseye-L email list. I also remember a squabble that had to do with Bullseye-L members ordering Hi Standard X series pistols and not taking delivery within a reasonable period of time. Some had complained about making a payment (deposit) and waiting a long time and still not getting their pistols. I don't recall if these complaints were satisfactorily resolved or not. I shot a CT made Hi Standard Citation and Victor for several years until I bought my first Hammerli 208s. The 208s is far superior. I think that today, there are better options for Precision Pistol (Bullseye) match shooting than Hi Standards. I have no financial interest in any Hi Standard company.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by alaronstein 7/31/2024, 8:06 am

AT NO TIME has High Standard of HOUSTON TX EVER (REPEAT EVER) taken a deposit on a pistol that was on backorder to my knowledge !!! Also, I do not think that the company took deposits from the end of 2014 to 2019 when I was NOT working there. I do beleive that at least one of the companies that claim to be High Standard are still having that issue. I have NOT taken deposits on the Camp Perry orders for Pistols that I have taken over the last few weeks. We will call and give those customers their tracking numbers and ONLY then will we run the credit cards. If you have ever heard of Doc Young, you can check out his letter to me on the highstandardfirearmsusa.com  website. He said that his OFF THE SHELF High Standard TX Victor out shot his Hammerli 208 at 50 yards and that he was changing pistols. He also included the targets which are posted with the letter. The "X-Series" pistols are MORE accurate than the CT or earlier TX pistols. The Hammerli 208 is a great pistol and, we make parts for several Gov't Match Teams.- Alan Aronstein

alaronstein

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 7/31/2024, 9:25 am

Why Buy a New HS if You have the option to.purchase a Hamden Made High standard from Golden era and the Best ones Made. I love High standard Pistola, same with Hämmerli 208s but like Mike Say, Hämmerli is a superior Pistol. Simpson LTD Always have few on inventory, same with oldest High standard who comes with territory. About High Standard of Montana, they are the Top Notch!
SW-52
SW-52

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mr alexander 8/1/2024, 12:02 pm

Jack H wrote:I have some mags I adjusted over 50years ago following instructions from LTC Miller.  These mags work perfectly in several HS
Jack H,

Would you be willing to post those instructions on the forum? Thank you!
mr alexander
mr alexander

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 8/1/2024, 12:45 pm

https://feeds.brownells.com/userdocs/Miscellaneous/HighStandardMagazineLipTool.pdf
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 8/1/2024, 2:06 pm

I have seen no difference in accuracy , I had a friend that had one and passed away. If anything the frames are probably a bit better as older Hartford and Hamden frames can crack when they had high round counts or have been given a steady diet of HV. 

Under the former owner the one that removed all the stuff and literally got out of Dodge there was a difference in build between the standard gun and the X series. I never heard anything bad about the X series , which I believe has more hand fitting.

My father made Master with a Victor and his mags needed to be tuned.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gwhite 8/2/2024, 5:46 am

About 45 years ago, I had two Victors, and about a dozen magazines of various vintages & makes.  I measured the width of the feed lips on the ones that worked well in both pistols, and carefully adjusted all the others to be the same.  I've never had a problem since, even with a wide variety of ammo brands.

More recently, one of my clubs had two very old Supermatics, and three magazines.  They hadn't been very well maintained, and had all sorts of issues.  They are now both working well, each with two of the three magazines, but not the same two.  When I get a chance, I need to tweak them a little bit more to see if I can fix that.  

I have one of the magazine tools now, but in the past, I've always found that smooth flat parallel jaw pliers work really well:

https://www.amazon.com/Mazbot-Smooth-Flat-Parallel-Pliers-125mm/dp/B07T3PS7W3/

gwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by alaronstein 8/2/2024, 7:21 am

You can send your CT or Houston TX Magazines to the High Standard Plant in Houston. We will adjust the factory magazines with the CT Gauges at NO CHARGE except for return USPS. - Alan Aronstein

alaronstein

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 8/7/2024, 2:21 pm

alaronstein wrote:AT NO TIME has High Standard of HOUSTON TX EVER (REPEAT EVER) taken a deposit on a pistol that was on backorder to my knowledge !!! Also, I do not think that the company took deposits from the end of 2014 to 2019 when I was NOT working there. I do beleive that at least one of the companies that claim to be High Standard are still having that issue. I have NOT taken deposits on the Camp Perry orders for Pistols that I have taken over the last few weeks. We will call and give those customers their tracking numbers and ONLY then will we run the credit cards. If you have ever heard of Doc Young, you can check out his letter to me on the highstandardfirearmsusa.com  website. He said that his OFF THE SHELF High Standard TX Victor out shot his Hammerli 208 at 50 yards and that he was changing pistols. He also included the targets which are posted with the letter. The "X-Series" pistols are MORE accurate than the CT or earlier TX pistols. The Hammerli 208 is a great pistol and, we make parts for several Gov't Match Teams.- Alan Aronstein
That was before your time. Before 2013 I was looking into getting a Victor and people were waiting years and I decided against it. That was just before they came out with the X Series. 

Personally I like the Citation better now and would pick a TX gun over a older one because the frames are better.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by mr alexander 8/15/2024, 7:43 am

james r chapman wrote:https://feeds.brownells.com/userdocs/Miscellaneous/HighStandardMagazineLipTool.pdf
Thank you, Jim!
mr alexander
mr alexander

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down