Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1911 fire control parts set

5 posters

Go down

1911 fire control parts set Empty 1911 fire control parts set

Post by Scota4570 7/25/2024, 1:40 pm

I had the Springfield 1911 with the goofie hammer 1/4 cock notch.

I bought a fire control parts set with all new parts.  

The sear has excessive break away angle, about 0.010” of the edge was beveled.   Is this is a potential safety issue?  

The disconnector was out of specs.  The part that fits through the hole in the frame is oversized and will not fit alt all.  It is about 0.010" to big based on the mechanical drawings in Kuhnhausen's book.  There is not easy way to reduce that diameter and keep it perfectly round.  I used my old disconnector.  

The angle on the full cock notch is neutral.  The hammer does not cam back at all.  Pushing foreward on the hammer does not change the pull.   Will this cause follow though and possible full auto fire?.  

The mainspring is weak, possibly causing misfires with the light hammer? 

The trigger pull is mushy and longer than the Springfield parts.  There is zero improvement, probably worse.

The pull with their parts set and my disconnector was excessively light about 2#. I bent the sear spring to increase the pull.  

Should I shoot it and see if it is safe?  

Should I send it back for refund? 

Scota4570

Back to top Go down

1911 fire control parts set Empty Re: 1911 fire control parts set

Post by Froneck 7/25/2024, 1:53 pm

From where did you buy those components? Places like ebay are not a good source of quality components. Also top quality components often need to be worked on to produce the desired function for the individual shooter, one persons perfect trigger pull could be terrible to another. In addition to the different types of trigger pulls!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 7/25/2024, 2:32 pm

I suggest sending the parts kit back for a refund. I've had good luck with Cylinder & Slide parts kits. No fitting required.
BE Mike
BE Mike

mbmshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Scota4570 7/25/2024, 2:54 pm

The company has been suggested as a good source on this forum.  They are not a fly by night EBAY seller.   I called them today and they had no knowledge of working on 1911s.  They suggested altering the disconnector with emery paper.  Ahhhh,  Oooooooh K.  They admitted to be a reseller of stuff they do not make.  They did volunteer to give a return authorization and refund.  Therefore I will not give their name at this time.  

Before I do that I will shoot it and see how it functions.  The parts are very pretty and nicely machined.  

Anyone out there have in depth knowledge and skills  working on 1911s?  The parts do not pass my smell test based on 40 years experience and a touch of OCD. Smile 

Are the parts sold by Cylinder and Slide made to factory blue print specifications?

Scota4570

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/25/2024, 3:26 pm

Yesp
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 7/25/2024, 3:28 pm

Buying drop-in parts and expect perfection is not possible! Those that have lower requirements yes! One thing the replacement parts makers can't control is actual dimensions of the frame! Hole size also is not exactly the same.. Another issues is the actual angle of the holes in the frame. The 2 most critical holes in the frame are the Hammer and sear pin holes! Manufacturing tolerance and straightness of the holes will alter the feel of the trigger pull not to mention the tolerance of the replacement components! In addition to what ever wear has taken place! Therefore some adjustment is required. As to lesser requirements I can't begin the say how many guns were handed to me that were not as the owner claimed! Perfect crisp trigger were not crisp! Roll trigger as described were not! However if they feel good to the shooter that's OK but to another it's not! That will be the same as with drop-in parts! In addition the difference in the frame may result in the same parts in a different frame produce different results!
 One thing Adam changed with the AMU was the one gun fits all. Gunsmiths built a gun tested it for group size then issued it to the shooter. They were told to adapt to what ever was issued. Now the smiths attempt to build the gun to the shooter desires and probably the reason why the Army dominated the matches.

Last edited by Froneck on 7/26/2024, 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Froneck

mbmshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 7/25/2024, 5:04 pm

Scota4570 wrote:Before I do that I will shoot it and see how it functions.  The parts are very pretty and nicely machined.  

If you have any sense that the ignition components will cause the gun to double, start with 2 rounds in the mag to function check and expect it to double when you are firing. 

I think I have a good guess to the makers of the parts, but I will say this, every single 1911 that I have worked on has needed fitting of the hammer and sear to get the trigger pull I was looking for. 

Also the vast majority of the companies that sell quality parts don't make them in house. Along the same lines bullseye shooters are way more critical of a 1911 trigger than most others. The list of people that do really good (and repeatable) 1911 triggers is very short.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Scota4570 7/25/2024, 5:25 pm

Cylinder and slide has no hammers.  

I do not expect the parts to be perfect for my pistol as delivered. Checking and fitting parts of the process.

Scota4570

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down