Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Do You Take to a BE Competition?

+9
Motorcycle_dan
Axehandle
TexasShooter
3 gun Gus
CR10X
AllAces
DavidR
bmac
JayhawkNavy02
13 posters

Go down

What Do You Take to a BE Competition? Empty What Do You Take to a BE Competition?

Post by JayhawkNavy02 10/13/2014, 1:52 pm

I've been shooting in a weekly league and a 1800/2700 match.  Unfortunately I've missed a few things I probably should have had when I arrived for the larger outdoor matches since I shoot primarily indoors.  I went back and made a list of what I thought I should be bringing to a match and what I saw gray beards carrying around.  I know these are tailored to the shooter, in my case, I'm using a Nelson 22 Conversion and a 45 both centerfire/45.  If there's something that I should be taking with me that I missed, I  appreciate the advice/help in identifying it.  My wife may not be the happiest that I'm effectively creating a shopping list Wink

Cheers,
JayhawkNavy02

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·         Firearms

o   22 Conversion Upper
         §  4 Magazines
         §  1 Light Recoil Spring
         §  1 Shock Buff
      o   1911 Slide Assembly
         §  4 Magazines

·         Ammunition

o   1800
          §  90 22 rimfire
          §  90 centerfire
          or
        §  60 22 rimfire          
        §  60 centerfire
        §  60 45 ACP
      o   2700
          §  90 rimfire
          §  90 centerfire
          §  90 45 ACP
      o   Add 10 rounds per 60/90 rounds to support alibis.

·         Gun Box

o   Brass Screen
      o   Clamps (4)

·         Scoring

o   Baggy for clipboard/score sheet (2)
      o   Clipboard
      o   Pens (2)
      o   Calculator
      o   Rubber Band
      o   Overlay

·         Accessories

o   Masking Tape
      o   Hat
      o   Carbide Lamp
      o   Timer
      o   Trash Bag
      o   45 ECI
      o   22 ECI
      o   Lock for pistol case (thank you MD)
      o   Chalk
      o   Staple Gun
      o   Staple Gun Staples
      o   Safety Goggles
         §  Blinders
         §  Side Shields
      o   Ear Plugs
      o   Ear Muffs
      o   Small Towel
      o   Spotting Scope
      o   Gun Oil
      o   Tools
          §  Nelson conversion tool
          §  Screwdrivers for sight adjustment (4)
          §  1911 Tool
          §  Nelson Magazine loading tool
          §  Bushing Wrench
          §  Bore Light
          §  Squib Rod (22 and 45)

§  Cleaning Kit
             ·         45 Rod
             ·         22 Rod
             ·         Patches (22 and 45)
             ·         Cleaning Rod Slotted End (22 and 45)
             ·         Q-Tips (medical /long)
             ·         Brush (22 and 45)

·    Miscellaneous

o   Towel
     o   Water Bottle
     o   Tylenol
     o   Snacks
     o   Hand Sanitizer
     o   Cloth to clean shooting glasses
     o   Eye Glass Cleaner
     o   Sunscreen
     o   Insect repellant (20% DEET+)
     o   Challenge money

·    Brass Catcher

o   Ziploc bag for brass

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02 on 10/14/2014, 5:17 pm; edited 18 times in total
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

What Do You Take to a BE Competition? Empty Re: What Do You Take to a BE Competition?

Post by bmac 10/13/2014, 1:57 pm

I asked the same question a while back. Lots of good info in the thread https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t2772-what-s-in-your-pistol-box

bmac

Back to top Go down

What Do You Take to a BE Competition? Empty Re: What Do You Take to a BE Competition?

Post by JayhawkNavy02 10/13/2014, 1:59 pm

My "google-fu" is weak....thanks for the link.  For the Mod's appreciate it if you can merge/delete the thread.
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 10/13/2014, 3:34 pm

looks like you have everything under the sun, except enough ammo, you should always have 10 extra, per 900 match in case of your alibis or a range alibi.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 10/13/2014, 4:06 pm

Add a Ziploc bag large enough to hold your clip board,  pen tape and stapler,  for when it rains.  Notin the box, but just as important, something for hydration and snacks.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 10/13/2014, 4:45 pm

Appreciate everyone's help and updated the OP with the contributions.  With traveling to some matches I don't want to leave something at home and I don't have the experience to always know what I should be throwing in the back of the car.
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 10/13/2014, 4:53 pm

I've noticed the higher the classification and scores of the shooter, the less stuff there is in the box (and more stuff in the head).  ;-))

Last edited by CR10X on 10/13/2014, 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 10/13/2014, 5:08 pm

That explains why my box is full...
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by 3 gun Gus 10/13/2014, 5:26 pm

You need 102 rounds per 900.  Plus more if there is a range alibi.  If you shoot Perry you can count on a range alibi or two. 

Gus
3 gun Gus
3 gun Gus

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasShooter 10/13/2014, 6:10 pm

In my box - everyone else already covered it. In the car - my wife, cuz she likes bullseye even more than I do (and NOT leaving her on the curb always works out better for me).

TexasShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 10/13/2014, 7:10 pm

3 gun Gus wrote:You need 102 rounds per 900.  Plus more if there is a range alibi.  If you shoot Perry you can count on a range alibi or two. 

Gus

Roger,

If I understand the NRA rules correctly, that would be a re-fire of the entire sequence (5 rounds).  

I'm hoping if all goes well to go Perry next year if my schedule permits with the Navy.  Thanks for the tips from the Veterans!

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02 on 10/14/2014, 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by 3 gun Gus 10/14/2014, 8:47 am

If you have a 4 shot alibi in timed, rapid and the NMC how many rounds is that?  If you are having alibis you may be having gun problems or ammo problems.  Alibis are like rain, some times it pours.

Gus
3 gun Gus
3 gun Gus

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 10/14/2014, 9:01 am

The chair, ammo, and rain gear are givens.  When I started back after not competing for 18 years I realized quickly that I needed to made it a point to shoot out of my box.  Shooting on an indoor range that I worked on made anything I needed readily available.   Those little things like screwdrivers that fit, oil, bore cleaner and brushes, squib rod, patches, staple gun with staples that fit that gun, overlays, blinders, bushing wrench, hat, etc.. will get you..

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorcycle_dan 10/14/2014, 2:59 pm

I am addicted to my "shoot'n bucket" It houses all my non box stuff.  You noted everything I use regularly.  I did note a couple of things.  On 1800 matches you can have 2 gun 1800's 90 rounds of 22 and CF or 3 gun 1800 where you need 60 rounds of each 22, CF, & .45
You mentioned Wind Screen, those are not legal.  Brass screen yes, wind blocking device, not so much.
Big giant plastic bags are good for outdoor matches but have at least two.  One to use youself to protect the cards of the person you are scoring.  The other give to the person scoring you to protect your cards.  Having a very short pencil or pen is also handy inside the bag.
Other things I have in my "bucket" include sunscreen, insect repellant, multi-tool, squib rod, challenge money, and my pistol pillow.  I used to carry way more ammo than I needed to every match.  Now I carry 300 rounds to a 2700.  If I have so many alibi that causes need for more then I don't finish the match.  I have borrowed 3 rounds from someone to finish.  I've also loaned ammo to others who were short. 
The pistol pillow is made from the calf of an old pair of jeans.  Filled with popcorn kernels.  Give me a nice rest to place the pistol or my hand as part of my process.  For spare staples I use one of the small zip lock containers, (like you'd put mustard in for a picknic) I put my staples in that container and mark the end of the staple row with a marker.  As I'm nearing the end I'll see the colored staples and know to add staples prior to the next target; mark the last 6 or so.  Good list tho.
Motorcycle_dan
Motorcycle_dan

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 10/14/2014, 5:19 pm

That's great Dan, appreciate the help and updated the list above in case someone reads it without referring to the following posts. 

One question I had is regarding the amount of money I would need at a match?  How much should I have in hand?

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02 on 10/14/2014, 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 10/14/2014, 7:09 pm

$1 to $3 for most challenges so 6-1's would be more than enough.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 10/14/2014, 10:21 pm

To speak to the amount of ammo needed for refires for each 900:
Slowfire: if you end up with a refire due to crossfire or other range alibi, you need 10 rounds there.
NMC: 5 rounds for a gun alibi, 10 for each refire due to crossfire or range alibi.
Timed fire: 5 rounds for a gun alibi, 10 for each refire due to crossfire or range alibi
Rapid fire: 5 rounds for a gun alibi, 10 for each refire due to crossfire or range alibi.
Mathematically you might need as many as 150+ rounds per 900.  It would be very unlikely, but possible.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

What Do You Take to a BE Competition? Empty JayhawkNavy02, what is the Carbide Lamp for?

Post by IT1 Wes 5/30/2018, 12:53 am

JayhawkNavy02, what is the Carbide Lamp for?
IT1 Wes
IT1 Wes

https://bookspublicdomain.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 5/30/2018, 2:24 am

To blacken your front sight. You need something to remove the glare that has very little/zero build up. Burning masking tape works. Even a wooden match will work in a pinch if you learn where to hold it in the flame. Jayhawk must have went to bed. My turn now. Cool
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 5/30/2018, 7:03 am

LenV wrote:To blacken your front sight. You need something to remove the glare that has very little/zero build up. Burning masking tape works. Even a wooden match will work in a pinch if you learn where to hold it in the flame. Jayhawk must have went to bed. My turn now. Cool

Guilty!...I ended up just using a lighter and a plastic spoon.  Worked well, but probably not healthy.
I’ll have to try the masking tape trick!
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 5/30/2018, 9:33 am

Champions Choice brings anschutz sight blackening lighters to Perry. They cannot be shipped in the US.  They work well. The are $10 each but it is much easier to carry around than my Supersmoker. And I think it works just as well. For the number of iron sight matches and practices I shoot each year. It makes sense.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down