Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Testing S&W Model 41 for best ammo

+11
Ed Hall
teg2658
Deerspy
Colt711
AllAces
spursnguns
DavidR
dhenry132
Jerry Keefer
CRay
15 posters

Go down

Testing S&W Model 41 for best ammo Empty Testing S&W Model 41 for best ammo

Post by CRay 1/26/2015, 2:32 pm

I plan to shortly be testing my S&W Model 41 with various ammos to see which it likes best. However there are so many different brands and all are a little hard to get so I thought I would ask what others have tested in their Model 41 and which ones proved best for them so I could focus on getting those brands initially to test in my gun

Thanks for your input.

CRay

Back to top Go down

Testing S&W Model 41 for best ammo Empty Re: Testing S&W Model 41 for best ammo

Post by Jerry Keefer 1/26/2015, 2:37 pm

CRay wrote:I plan to shortly be testing my S&W Model 41 with various ammos to see which it likes best. However there are so many different brands and all are a little hard to get so I thought I would ask what others have tested in their Model 41 and which ones proved best for them so I could focus on getting those brands initially to test in my gun

Thanks for your input.
Eley Red Box has no peer... testing over..Smile
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by dhenry132 1/26/2015, 2:48 pm

CCI SV
dhenry132
dhenry132

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 1/26/2015, 3:08 pm

CCI sv is what my two 41s liked, aguila and eley sport they did not.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns 1/26/2015, 3:36 pm

Hello,

For my two M41's....my first choice is CCI Pistol Match (No. 51) followed closely by CCI Standard Velocity (No. 35 - paper box).

To eliminate possible feeding issues look for cartridges with overall lengths close to the aforementioned CCI products.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 1/26/2015, 4:11 pm

I bench tested six different ammo last summer, including velocity at 25 yards. I'll try to find the targets, but CCI was the largest group at one inch and Eley Club the best with a group under a half   inch. My M41 shoots best with Eley Club and it was also the fastest, at about 980 fps and CCI Std Velocity the slowest.

I plan to Ransom Rest  my M41 with 6 or 7 different ammo in a couple weeks and will post the results.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 1/26/2015, 4:34 pm

Jerry Keefer wrote:
CRay wrote:I plan to shortly be testing my S&W Model 41 with various ammos to see which it likes best. However there are so many different brands and all are a little hard to get so I thought I would ask what others have tested in their Model 41 and which ones proved best for them so I could focus on getting those brands initially to test in my gun

Thanks for your input.
Eley Red Box has no peer... testing over..Smile

Jerry,
Do you just shoot  ERB for matches? Or do you practice with it to so all is consistent?
Ron

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Deerspy 1/26/2015, 4:55 pm

mine likes CCI sv and Remington target (when it goes off) and Eley target and SK the one that comes in the round 500 bulk container and Federal 714 if you can find it.

Deerspy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 1/26/2015, 6:00 pm

Colt711 wrote:
Jerry,
Do you just shoot  ERB for matches? Or do you practice with it to so all is consistent?
Ron
Ron;
Train very little with the 22 ... The  only time the 22 comes out,  is a day or two before a match to check 50/25 yd zeroes and a few rounds for familiarization.. ERB is strictly 50 yard ammo.. Presently shooting RWS short line.....Almost all training is done with the 45... When she's shooting 860s/low 70s with the 45, the 22 is a walk in the park..
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by 641 1/26/2015, 9:03 pm

Wolf MT has never worked well in my 41's.  I think it is the lube.  I have also had problems with Aguilla, as well.  CCI SV works.

Back to top Go down

Post by teg2658 1/26/2015, 10:27 pm

I have one lot of ERB that shoots the worse groups out of my guns, I have two other lots of ERB that shoot well. The best groups come from Eley target I bought at champions choice a year ago. Also have a 15 year old lot of CCISV in plastic that shoots nearly as well as the ERB. Conclusion is no two lots are the same or any two barrels are the same. If you find a lot of ammo your gun shoots well at 50 yds set it aside for 50 yds.

teg2658

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 1/27/2015, 9:19 am

teg2658 wrote:I have one lot of ERB that shoots the worse groups out of my guns, I have two other lots of ERB that shoot well. The best groups come from Eley target I bought at champions choice a year ago. Also have a 15 year old lot of CCISV in plastic that shoots nearly as well as the ERB. Conclusion is no two lots are the same or any two barrels are the same. If you find a lot of ammo your gun shoots well at 50 yds set it aside for 50 yds.

A shooter recently bought a Hammerli, with an array of test targets from the Eley test range.. All ERB.
None of the targets were impressive, or even satisfactory for a HM shooter... Not the fault of the ammo.. The gun is getting a liner...
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 1/27/2015, 9:32 am

My 208s was not really impressive at 50 yards when brand new.  It would hold the X with ERB, but almost nothing else.  But, they were made as 25 meter guns.  It still gave me some good targets.  (Even a 97, 98, 99 for the 2nd, 3rd and Team Slow Fire at Perry last year.)  It is finally out to be relined.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out...

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard Ashmore 1/27/2015, 5:27 pm

Having had the opportunity to test seventeen batches of Eley Tenex in three Hammerli pistols, my conclusion was that there is sufficient batch to batch variation in ammunition and barrel to barrel variation that the results of testing any batch of ammunition in any barrel only apply to that particular barrel/batch combination.
Richard Ashmore
Richard Ashmore

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 1/27/2015, 5:43 pm

My old Hammerli I used to shoot shot HORRIBLE 1.5" groups with the BEST lot of Eley Tenex when the AMU lot tested it. I had just recently shot an 895 with that horrible grouping pistol before lot testing it! I would never base ammunition groups off a stock Hammerli 208. Many other pistols out there will shoot tighter groups. But in defense of the Hammerli 208, the trigger is fantastic. I've always believed that the trigger is most crucial part of shooting great scores.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Jblaw 1/28/2015, 1:14 pm

My main staple right now is CCI SV. I also rotate in Aguila "Super Extra" Eley Prime (in the blue and yellow boxes). It's a little hotter than the CCI. Both work fairly flawlessly in the 41, with perhaps one stovepipe per couple hundred rounds. My grouping is similar with both.

I used to use Rem. SV (green and blue boxes), as I had some older stock from my grandfather, but I ran out mid summer while practicing for this season (my first). Also, since .22 is still in somewhat short supply where I am at, I tried all sorts of other stuff in the 41 when I ran out. Stuff that I had kicking around (Federal, Rem, Winchester etc) and was rather disappointed with the outcome. So now I stick with what I know works, and just stock up whenever I see it.

Jblaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 1/28/2015, 1:36 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:My old Hammerli I used to shoot shot HORRIBLE 1.5" groups with the BEST lot of Eley Tenex when the AMU lot tested it. I had just recently shot an 895 with that horrible grouping pistol before lot testing it! I would never base ammunition groups off a stock Hammerli 208. Many other pistols out there will shoot tighter groups. But in defense of the Hammerli 208, the trigger is fantastic. I've always believed that the trigger is most crucial part of shooting great scores.
Jon
Jon;
A haunting thought....
That 895 would have been a clean with a 3/4 inch gun.. Smile Smile Smile Just kidding, 895 is a super fine score....!!!
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 1/28/2015, 2:09 pm

When I was at AMU, we were shooting a practice match one morning. SSGT Blackmore shot a clean 900 practice aggregate. It was kinda funny because he wasn't telling everyone he cleaned the long line. But I remember he was calm, very calm and focused. For the life of me I can't remember what gun he was shooting. It would've been a Hammerli, GSP or 41. I'm leaning toward the 41 though.
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 1/28/2015, 4:25 pm

My 1977ish 41 which I only "play" with these days used to love 900B.  I arm rested sub 1" more than once at 50y.  Best was close to 1/2".  The barrel is a 7" S&W cut to 5.5 by a local gunsmith.  I got the barrel from Gil Hebard.  It is the vintage that had the Millett sight.  My trouble with 41 is I can't find a comfortable grip that works with a wide and thick but short hand.  The top of my hand gets the slide every time.  I need to design an add on beavertail. 

The barrel that came with it is a 5.5 original that has been lined by Alex H.  I find it to be nose heavy.

Any ideas on that beavertail ?
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 1/28/2015, 7:37 pm

Jerry Keefer wrote:Jon;
A haunting thought....
That 895 would have been a clean with a 3/4 inch gun.. Smile Smile Smile Just kidding, 895 is a super fine score....!!!
That is good shooting.  The best I ever got from my 208s was 893, but it was at the perfect timing at Quantico.  Brian Zins shot 892 that day.  Before the .22 relay at the very next match he asked if I was going to shoot that score again and I said I didn't know.  He shot 896, just in case.

895 is also an interesting score from another memory.  I was shooting a Regional at Quantico long ago and the top three .22 scores that day were all 895.  Someone mentioned to me, "I wonder what it's like to shoot 895 and be in third place."  I hope that wasn't you, Jon.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 1/28/2015, 8:02 pm

LOL Ed. No that was not me. I think about 2 years ago in Canton 2 shooters broke 2670. John Bickar in his own special way posted "ha ha broke 2670 and lost", or something to that effect. I almost died laughing. That wasn't me either ; p)
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down