Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them?

+13
Colt711
Kimber-45
durabledan
Swelfelo
huntingnt
Jerry Keefer
Jack H
Paper-Puncher
Steve B
Jerry Goldfarb
jakuda
dan allen
Rob Kovach
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them? Empty Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them?

Post by Rob Kovach Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:32 am

I thought it would be a good topic to talk about the red dots we are using. Everyone knows that AimPoints and Ultradots are highly rated, but for us poor/cheap folks, a discussion about what else people use and if it's a good dot would be interesting and helpful.

Be sure to put down if the dot works well and if there are any other attributes about the dot that might help your fellow shooter.

I have been shooting 30mm Adco Dots on both of my match .22s. Both were used on ebay for <$100. Pros: they work really well and have a nice crisp round dot. Cons: One is brighter than the other. I can't use the dim one outside on a bright day.

On my 45, I am shooting a Burris FastFire II. Bought it used on ebay for $150. Pros: Small and lightweight. waterproof coated optics that dont dazzle when wet. Good dot, auto brightness. No machining for mounting the dot. Not in the way when clearing a malfunction. Cons: No clicks for elevation and windage, only screws that turn. On/Off switch is on the side of the sight, and it's easy to accidentally switch the sight off when you pull the slide back.

Let the rest of us know what you are using.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them? Empty Re: Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them?

Post by dan allen Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:16 am

I had a couple of Tasco Pro Point red dots that worked okay for a while. Eventually they quit and the only good thing that came out of them was the $5.00 each I got in trade for them from Larry Carter when I bought Ultradots. The $150 you paid for the used Burris is more than I paid for new 30mm Ultradot's.

dan allen

Back to top Go down

Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them? Empty Re: Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them?

Post by jakuda Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:50 pm

For your 22, the cheap $30 tasco 5moa red dot on amazon.com works just fine. Click adjustments aren't as clean as ultradot. Parallax is more apparent, but it's only $30. Just keep the dot in the middle.

jakuda

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Goldfarb Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:49 pm

Millet makes a decent one that are on EBay a lot. One model has a smaller dot than the other. SP-1 and SP-2. Accurate and reasonable.
Jerry Goldfarb
Jerry Goldfarb

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:47 am

Aimpoint Micro H-1's on all guns now. Bought them off either Ebay or Gunbroker for around $400 each.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Ive been useing a Tasco pro-point for about 2+ yrs and its been just fine...really cant complain at all ...but when this one quits????? its my intention to replace it with a match dot......

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:56 pm

Ultradot 1" 4dots all the way.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:10 pm

Because of your advice I have a 30mm Ultradot Matchdot on my 1911 now. I like it. Larry's guns has the best price. http://www.larrysguns.com/Departments/Sights-and-Spotters/FONT-SIZE3-COLORBLACKB--SightsBFont.aspx

I got mine used with box for $125 but I'm thinking about adding one to my .22 for full price. The Matchdot is really nice.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:53 pm

Ive ben lookin at dots from larrys ....the 1'' ultra looks like it 'got me written all over it' may get one soon unless the boss O.K.'s the .45 Ive been wanting................k

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them? Empty Micros wave of the future??

Post by Jerry Keefer Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:26 pm

When I first handled the Aim Point Micro, I was not impressed, but after some study and experimentation, I believe it to be the ultimate set up..
Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them? FramemountMicro003

Last edited by Jerry Keefer on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : difficulty posting pic)
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:40 am

Jerry
Please describe the tube extensions.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:51 am

Jack H wrote:Jerry
Please describe the tube extensions.
Hello Jack;
The shooter I sponsor out of my shop was plaqued with dot failures last year. I decided that the Micro, being far more durable than the current crop, was the only alternative, but I had to overcome the negatives the Micro presents for BE applications. Which are mainly, no provisions for accessories, such as extension tubes/filters, and the marginal mount. The tubes are machined from aluminum 6061 stock, threaded for the UltraDot extension tubes/filters and pressed on the Micro. I have had to remove the occassional pressed on tube. I thought the press fit may be suspect to shake off.. They must be machined off, they are that secure..I fabricate the mounting base, which eliminates the mount problem..and gets the scope low to the boreline..The sample in the pic, is a prototype, which is working better than planned..I have enormous trouble posting pics on this forum.. I have adopted this process to other platforms also, Pardini and Hammerli..I'll post them when I get time...
Jerry
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks, Jerry
Your machinery beats my vice and file.
I tried the Sig mini dot unit. It works good and has a Weaver foot. I stripped the screwhead right away though. I need a full length tube to have a comfortable sight picture. The 1" 4 dot UD is what I use right now.
Jack

Last edited by Jack H on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:04 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:20 pm

Jerry Keefer wrote:When I first handled the Aim Point Micro, I was not impressed, but after some study and experimentation, I believe it to be the ultimate set up..
Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them? FramemountMicro003
That is sure a sweet lookin set up....I hope to someday have a custom built ....There is just something about a fine 1911 that demands respect ...just as a fine wheel gun ...in this day and age of plastic ,painted surface's ,stamped parts and mim finely crafted weapons seem to be getting buried in the mess of mass production.....I admit I have my share of combat tuperware used for daily carry ....but I sure miss the days when I was in my teens when most people that had guns had really nice stuff and guns stores still had the good stuff more as the norm than the exception ...even the gun shows today are getting cookie cutter..........I guess I'm just getting old......

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by huntingnt Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:04 pm

Has anyone used a Bushnell TRS-25 or a Vortex Sparc? It would be nice to have something smaller on the .22 that's a little cheaper than an Aimpoint.
huntingnt
huntingnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Jack..here's a pic of the Pardini I mentioned..I can't get the Hammerli to down load, but it is almost identical in configuration.
Jerry

Red Dots-what are you using, how much $, and where do you get them? PardiniLowmountMicro008

Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:00 pm

Are those Aimpoints really that much better than a 1" ultradot that it's worth all the trouble to fab up the tube extensions and what not?
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:21 pm

Rob Kovach wrote:Are those Aimpoints really that much better than a 1" ultradot that it's worth all the trouble to fab up the tube extensions and what not?
Yes, I believe so...Many "high end" shooters are moving toward them. There are certain advantages that the Ultra Dot can't provide.. For instance, the mounting is very low and compact plus the elimination of the rings and base is a weight saver..the battery life is 5 years even if left on..#7 setting or less as I recall.!!! Amazing.. If the durability/longivity is better, I am all for it...More expensive, yes..but worth it to those who are in it to win it...
Jerry
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:47 am

Thanks again Jerry.
Yes low mount is a must. And the tube extensions help with the alignment. Especially if you "lose" the dot. But your grip and recovery is supposed to not lose the dot. Also tubes help protect the lens from dirt. And I suppose extraneous light. I have two obsolete Aimpoint Comps. Still excellent sights, but I do not care for the big window on them. I do like the bigger dots in my 1" UD 4 dots. They mount real low with the Leupold "Rifleman" low rings. And I see a much nicer dot in them than in the regular 1" UD.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:53 am

Jerry Keefer wrote:When I first handled the Aim Point Micro, I was not impressed, but after some study and experimentation, I believe it to be the ultimate set up..

Jerry, how many layers are on the frame here? I think I see a light colored piece, a dark middle piece screwed on, and the alloy mount.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:57 am

Jack H wrote:

Jerry, how many layers are on the frame here? I think I see a light colored piece, a dark middle piece screwed on, and the alloy mount.
Jack, that is the first ever 1911 frame mounted Micro..SmileSmile David Sams is a huge advocate, and pioneer of the fame mount, and Dave only lives a short distance from me..I used his already AMU proven method of frame attachment, which involves the silver soldering of a steel base to the frame for strenght and rigidity, then all I had to do was come up with a design for the Micro attachment/base. There are a number fail safes machined into the system to avoid vibration, and recoil shift. All the attaching screws are machined to just fit the counterbores to add extra reliabiltiy.

Jerry
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Swelfelo Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:51 pm

I use Konus Atomics which are 1/4 the cost of an Aimpoint H1 and have a nice crisp 3.5 moa dot. They weigh 3.5 ounces and mount directly to a scope mount like an Aimpoint H1. Make certain that you stick with all red dot version which has 11 intensity settings as opposed to the red/green version which has roughly half of that. Highly recommended.

I also have a Vortex Sparc which weights 5.5 ounces. It costs twice as much as a Konus Atomic and uses a 2354 battery. Nice scope but I have no idea where to find replacements for that easily.
Swelfelo
Swelfelo

Back to top Go down

Post by durabledan Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:59 am

I am new to "red dots",and have always subscribed to the principle of K.I.S.S.

Old eyes have forced me to seek an alternative,so I have on order an UltraDot MatchDot II from The Shooters Box in Mass. at $229.00

Roy

durabledan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:25 am

I am not sure I understand the base configuration for the Aimpoint Micro. Is it an integral Weaver type? Or do we need an adapter which I often see advertised, and I am very confused. Regular Weaver mounting and Jerry Keefer's extensions would make the Aimpoint very ideal.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimber-45 Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:45 pm

If it's not an Ultra Dot it's a toy. Shocked
Kimber-45
Kimber-45

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next