Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would like to identify an older gunsmith's work...

+3
james r chapman
Rob Kovach
shome10x
7 posters

Go down

Would like to identify an older gunsmith's work... Empty Would like to identify an older gunsmith's work...

Post by shome10x 6/3/2015, 10:59 am

Forum,

"Picked" up an older Colt last week.  I'm interested if anyone recognizes the smith... Clues from seller was that the smith was from Steadman, NC.  Possibly John Vibeki (?).

Anyone familiar with the gunsmith and his work?

Thanks,

Chris G...now in SWLA

shome10x

Back to top Go down

Would like to identify an older gunsmith's work... Empty Re: Would like to identify an older gunsmith's work...

Post by Rob Kovach 6/3/2015, 11:01 am

Do you have any pictures that you can share?
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Would like to identify an older gunsmith's work... Empty Re: Would like to identify an older gunsmith's work...

Post by shome10x 6/3/2015, 11:12 am

No pics.  A little more description:  heavy slide (older Bomar), the only really unique feature is that it has the "tiger" type stippling that Clark does.  Except this stippling is done from top, down.  Nice work.  The trigger is probably the best I've felt in a while, but I haven't looked in detail at the ignition set yet.  Nice pre 70s model.

CG

shome10x

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 6/3/2015, 11:20 am

Decent pictures would allow more clues to solve your questions.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shome10x 6/3/2015, 1:33 pm

shome10x

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 6/3/2015, 1:42 pm

nice gun, however it looks like a hundred others, most of the old smiths did the same kind of thing and used the same parts.

Sometimes the way the front strap is done can give a clue, Clark used a sharp tiger tooth pattern, its not one of his, Jackie best did a deep punch stippling sort of like this and some other like Melvin Forbes did cross thatch checkering.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 6/3/2015, 2:30 pm

The way it comes to a point under the trigger guard made me think about Melvin's checkering.

Was there any engraving between the slide and the frame or under the grips?  Anything engraved in the magazine well or under the mainspring housing?
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 6/3/2015, 2:36 pm

I was going to ask if OP removed the grip panels and slide to check for initials or the like ?

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by shome10x 6/3/2015, 4:32 pm

I hadn't thought about checking under the panels. When I get a chance I'll disassemble and check.  Thanks, cg

shome10x

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV 6/3/2015, 6:12 pm

I HAD ONE LIKE THAT YEARS AGO. WITH THE STIPPLING TO A POINT UNDER THE TRIGGER GUARD. IT WAS A SHOCKEY FROM THE 60'S. NOT SAYING THAT'S WHAT YOU HAVE. JP

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 6/4/2015, 8:47 am

shome10x wrote:Forum,

"Picked" up an older Colt last week.  I'm interested if anyone recognizes the smith... Clues from seller was that the smith was from Steadman, NC.  Possibly John Vibeki (?).

Anyone familiar with the gunsmith and his work?

Thanks,

Chris G...now in SWLA
Could the name be John Videki? Here is a link to a story that might help: http://forum.trailersailor.com/post.php?id=1326440
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by shome10x 6/6/2015, 11:33 pm

An update... Previous owner purchased from the original buyer.  The pistol is an early sixties model and was modified for a brother who competed.

The last owner provided a tag with hand written notes about the pistol from the original buyer. It does seem that John Videki "built" the pistol back in the mid sixties (Stedman, NC).

I haven't had time for a close diss-assembly, but the trigger is definitely machined to fit the track (machine marks on side of trigger).  Interesting...

CG

shome10x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down