Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice with Gun Broker

+7
orpheoet
Outthere
Rob Kovach
Tim:H11
LenV
weber1b
lanjo
11 posters

Go down

Advice with Gun Broker Empty Advice with Gun Broker

Post by lanjo 1/24/2016, 4:20 pm

Hi All,

I am looking to get a SW M586 or M14. Getting the 586 new from SW will take at least 6 months, and the M14 can only be picked-up used. I have tried Gun Broker twice and got lemons both times. I got a SW M41 which jammed every 25 rounds or so and a Colt National Match Gold Cup which gave 7" groups at 50 yards. I could get them both usable, and the M41 now has reliable X-ring accuracy at 50 yards, but it took ~$500-800 worth of gunsmith work for each to do so. Both guns were supposed to be NIB. I am suspecting that someone used them, noticed that they are crap and sold them on Gun Broker. I am just wondering if people commonly pass their lemons off on Gun Broker. Do sites like Gun Broker have a large proportion of lemons, and it is better to try to get straight from the manufacturer? How would you guys get a decent M586 or M14. Any advice on how best to get these guns would help.

Best,

Joe

lanjo

Back to top Go down

Advice with Gun Broker Empty Re: Advice with Gun Broker

Post by weber1b 1/24/2016, 5:44 pm

I got my 586 new on Gunbroker. My local dealer could not get one from SW in the time I wanted but I found one at a discounted price on line and could not have been happier.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 1/24/2016, 5:52 pm

If they have poor quality pictures or very few then they are probably trying to hide something. I have bought a few on GB and avoid anyone with low sales or bad reviews. There is a model 16 on GB right now that is advertised NIB and even have a picture of the box. The box is clearly marked USED GUN on the label. I suppose if someone bought that one they would have only themselves to blame. I also quit bidding the second a NR starts bidding the cost up. The latest scam is to have a disposable bidder. I have seen several NR's win after I stopped and a rare few are real buyers. Checking back a month or so later the NR has an F rating and GB doesn't get their fee. So, get a lot of picture, read everything and don't let NR's (not rated) bid you up.

Len

Check out the label on the box.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=538900261

Last edited by OldMaster65 on 1/24/2016, 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added the model 16 info)
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 1/24/2016, 5:57 pm

The 41 issues baffle me. I bought mine used and needed a reduced power recoil spring and I fitted and tinned an extractor. Runs good now. Accuracy with Wolf Match Target is awesome. Shot 97's with X's more than once at 50 yards with it. The Colt Gold Cups as I'm told - the OLD ones were better and newer ones not so good. Now-a-days you can count on buying one and sending it off to be tuned or accurized. 

I bought my 14 from a widow. Her husband took wonderful care of this one and was a fine shooter as well. He is missed. 14 vs 585 is a preference thing. Lug front weight va less front weight. I like the lighter 14. Unless you get a 14 with a lug... 

I've bought 5 guns off gunnroker. No issues. Got what they said they were selling. It's not uncommon to get a gun and need to do something to enhance it to get the performance we as competitive shooters require.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 1/24/2016, 6:38 pm

I've been happy with gunbroker.com buys.

Unless the gun was advertised as a 50 yard target gun, you really can't expect perfection from a factory gun. (We have discussed exceptions here)

Most factory guns these days are made for 7 yard performance. I'm betting that you would get similar results with guns from your Local gun store--IF they would ever have what we were looking for.

I bought my model 14 used from a bullseye shooter getting out.

If you buy used from someone you know, you have a better idea of what you are getting.

Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 1/24/2016, 7:04 pm

There is a 586 Classic for 679.00 that would match my criteria. It is new production and "buy it now" so if you want a new one that would be a good choice. It is more than a hundred less then next seller. I wasn't fond of any of the used offerings in 586. There were 15 choices for a model 14. Some were good and others bad (like the 14-6). If I was looking for another 14 I would give this one the "Old Fat Guy" seal of approval. It meets all the requirements I look for.  NFI
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=537853611

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere 1/24/2016, 11:13 pm

lanjo wrote:Hi All,

I am looking to get a SW M586 or M14. Getting the 586 new from SW will take at least 6 months, and the M14 can only be picked-up used. I have tried Gun Broker twice and got lemons both times. I got a SW M41 which jammed every 25 rounds or so and a Colt National Match Gold Cup which gave 7" groups at 50 yards. I could get them both usable, and the M41 now has reliable X-ring accuracy at 50 yards, but it took ~$500-800 worth of gunsmith work for each to do so. Both guns were supposed to be NIB. I am suspecting that someone used them, noticed that they are crap and sold them on Gun Broker. I am just wondering if people commonly pass their lemons off on Gun Broker. Do sites like Gun Broker have a large proportion of lemons, and it is better to try to get straight from the manufacturer? How would you guys get a decent M586 or M14. Any advice on how best to get these guns would help.

Best,

Joe

S&W makes plenty of lemons now. Available at all gun stores nationwide.

That being said,I've never been burned using Gunbroker.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet 1/25/2016, 2:36 pm

My 41 and 14 both came from Gunbroker. The 41 is yet to alibi and the 14 though cosmetically rough is great as well.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Tiedt 1/25/2016, 10:06 pm

I too have had great luck with many buys from GunBroker (2 bad experiences: both from dealers).

OldMaster65 has great advice, and of course check the sellers feedback.  A high volume dealer
may have a couple of negative feedbacks (can't please everyone) and if those negative experiences are long in the past (with new, positive feedbacks since) then its a good sign
that they've learned how to operate on GunBroker.  I'll allow an individual with less feedback
one negative comment, again if it was a while in the past with new positive feedback afterwards. 

But anyone with over 100 feedbacks better have an 99+% rating.  Buying from unrated sellers is taking a chance too, but I have done well because others were less likely to risk it and
therefore the winning bid was a bit lower.

Also check how long they have been a member of GunBroker.  If the are both NR and a new member, caution is dictated.

Bad pictures or lack of detail in the description will warrant an email from me.  I'll be polite
with my questions and thank the person for answering them.  If I get a weird "vibe" from the
reply (or no reply at all), stay away.  If its an individual, they are likely a gun person, and I'll
end up exchanging half a dozen emails with them (an email water cooler conversation...).

All that said, most of my recent purchases have been from dealers I've done business with before and know to be reputable.  I'm aware of the NR bidder scam from ebay, but didn't know
that it was becoming seen on Gunbroker as well.  Too bad...

Doug Tiedt

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 1/29/2016, 11:25 pm

But, If they have great pictures, a good sales record and You haven't bought anything neat lately then bid what you feel like paying for something. My wife just shakes her head when I start looking on Gunbroker. I found a really nice pistol on GB the 24th when I was looking for 586's and model 14's. There is another choice when you are looking at those two pistols. Don't forget about the model 19. They were built back when S&W was still making quality revolvers, heavier then a 14 (except for full lug) and they have a larger selection. A 19-5 in mint condition sold the 24th for 570.00. That's a pretty good deal.

Len  (Oldmaster64 on GB)
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=537897203
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by lanjo 1/30/2016, 10:00 pm

Thanks everyone,

I got a near mint K38 for 860.  We will see how it performs at the range in a few weeks.

Thanks for the advice.

Joe

lanjo

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 2/2/2016, 8:41 am

I am glad you found the pistol that you wanted. Here is a classic example of what I was saying about NR's coming in and bidding price up. I honestly don't know if this NR is legit or not. What I do know is that since there is now a NR bidding on this pistol I won't be making anymore bids on it. Which is to bad since it is a great pistol. Check out the bid history...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=537976688
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 2/2/2016, 9:41 am

Years ago my buddy and I decide it would be very useful to have our own electronic test equipment, such as oscilloscopes, time domain reflectometers, signal generators and signal analyzers. We found some auctions for this equipment and were thinking "Hoo boy, we can get some Tektronix and HP stuff cheap". It never happened. Whenever us schmoes were about to get a bargain someone would come in and bring the bid up to the market price. The equipment would then get listed for auction again a few weeks later. %#&$@!
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by KenO 2/2/2016, 12:49 pm

What is "NR"?

KenO

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 2/2/2016, 12:50 pm

No Rating, meaning you have never had feedback, positive or negative as a result of a transaction.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 2/2/2016, 3:24 pm

used cars or used guns its all luck of the draw, all you can do is check it out best you can and if your really Leary don't buy from someone with a no return or inspection time. Their feedback rating can read volumes, open it up and look for satisfied buyers and read what kind of deal they got. Ive had good luck on GB so far myself
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KenO 2/2/2016, 7:41 pm

I've had good and bad from GB. I won the bid on a M52 from a gun shop a couple years ago. The pics were nice, sure wasn't the gun I got. The gun had a guys name scribed on the frame, and mags. It wasn't nicely done, it was very sloppy handwriting with one of those vibrating scribing tools.

I call immediately when I got it from my FFL, the guy said he knew of the scribing, but if its not like the pics, I could return. I took a couple pics and sent them to him to compare. He then said "all sales are final". I also sent the auction link to several others, and asked if they can see any scribing, no one could.

The reason I was upset was if it wasn't a shooter, I would want to list it and get another. If I listed it, I would be honest and show the pics, and know I wouldn't get what I paid (over $1200).

It shoots good, so its not a big deal now, I'm a shooter, not a collector.

Last year I bought a M14 off the Commercial Row on this forum, it was better than it looked in the pics, looked new, and shoot good. Also recently bought a wadgun here, and it also is a looker and shooter.

KenO

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 2/3/2016, 4:18 pm

I hope you laid down some fiery feedback for him!!!! I would also try and have GB drop him as a seller. Crooks need to be blasted and expelled!!
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down