Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Les Baer Wad Guns

+25
joy2shoot
james r chapman
jglenn21
dronning
STEVE SAMELAK
LenV
JayhawkNavy02
jmdavis
Lightfoot
Eddie 500
orpheoet
Wobbley
messenger
Chris Miceli
Jerry Keefer
Jon Eulette
SW-52
kc.crawford.7
john bickar
robert84010
Ghillieman
Tim:H11
DavidR
AllAces
Warhorse
29 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Les Baer Wad Guns - Page 2 Empty Les Baer Wad Guns

Post by Warhorse Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Tell me if I have made a mistake.

I have a Les Baer wad gun on order. Some folks in my pistol club tell me these are not accurate guns.

Warhorse

Back to top Go down

Les Baer Wad Guns - Page 2 Empty Re: Les Baer Wad Guns

Post by Jerry Keefer Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:23 pm

This thread is one example why, I am not posting, nor will I.. I did not make a comment regarding Baer. I mentioned that I was restricting my comments.. I will now state that KC and Jon mirror my position on the subject.
Two of the best bullseye smiths in the game, and their comments are challenged and criticized.. ???
I have plenty of stories, but it's a waste of time here..The best bullseye gunsmith on the planet, once stated to me.." The average shooter hasn't got a clue"..  He's right..
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:12 pm

Well this went south fast lol! First I don't think anyone criticized anyone but if something I posted came across that way then my apologies as that was not my intention.. Lets just put this in perspective. Jerry, Jon and KC are top quality gunsmiths in this sport and I whole heartily agree their opinions carry a lot of weight. They don't like Les Baer guns based on their experience with ones they have seen. I am not a gunsmith, just a shooter and not a top level one at that ( but still trying hard to advance). I was a FFL dealer for 27 years (1989-2016) and sold many Les Baer pistols and have owned and still do own several, and have several friends who own and shoot them as well, all have been great shooters and I have not had any of the bad experience's talked about in this topic. So my apologies to any one I offended by stating my opinion's based on my experiences.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:57 pm

Well, I for one do not like not having an opinion. I have two RO's, two Kimbers, two Smiths and a Gold Cup. I guess I am going to have to buy a Baer so I can compare and decry or extol it's virtues. My wife thinks that is a pretty poor reason to buy another 1911. I don't need much of a reason. Very Happy
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:16 pm

OldMaster66 wrote:Well, I for one do not like not having an opinion. I have two RO's, two Kimbers, two Smiths and a Gold Cup. I guess I am going to have to buy a Baer so I can compare and decry or extol it's virtues. My wife thinks that is a pretty poor reason to buy another 1911. I don't need much of a reason. Very Happy

My wife has given up on reasoning with me about 45s...but she has seen the correlation between the black stuff that I get for me and the sparkly stuff I get for her.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:27 pm

LenV wrote:Well, I for one do not like not having an opinion. I have two RO's, two Kimbers, two Smiths and a Gold Cup. I guess I am going to have to buy a Baer so I can compare and decry or extol it's virtues. My wife thinks that is a pretty poor reason to buy another 1911. I don't need much of a reason. Very Happy
A man can never have too many 1911's, nor too many knives.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:50 pm

AllAces wrote:
LenV wrote:Well, I for one do not like not having an opinion. I have two RO's, two Kimbers, two Smiths and a Gold Cup. I guess I am going to have to buy a Baer so I can compare and decry or extol it's virtues. My wife thinks that is a pretty poor reason to buy another 1911. I don't need much of a reason. Very Happy

1911's can be addicting, for the first time in my life I've actually thought about selling one of my rifles so I could buy another 1911, but I quickly decided against it, and bought the 1911 anyway.

Don't get me started on knives, I've only just barely dipped my toe in that water lol!

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:19 pm

STEVE SAMELAK wrote:
OldMaster66 wrote:Well, I for one do not like not having an opinion. I have two RO's, two Kimbers, two Smiths and a Gold Cup. I guess I am going to have to buy a Baer so I can compare and decry or extol it's virtues. My wife thinks that is a pretty poor reason to buy another 1911. I don't need much of a reason. Very Happy

My wife has given up on reasoning with me about 45s...but she has seen the correlation between the black stuff that I get for me and the sparkly stuff I get for her.

a wise man
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:21 pm

you comments are never wasted here Jerry.. at least not with me.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:28 pm

STEVE SAMELAK wrote:

++1
Save
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:12 pm

AllAces wrote:
LenV wrote:... My wife thinks that is a pretty poor reason to buy another 1911. I don't need much of a reason. Very Happy

For a split second, I thought you were going to say A man can never have too many 1911's, nor too many wives.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:17 pm

AllAces wrote:

I forgot my glasses, did he say WIVES???
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by r_zerr Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:51 pm

Jim,

true story (I WAS THERE!),

A guy walks into a gunstore and says, "I would like to get a pistol for my wife."
The clerk calmly replied, "bring her in and lets take a look to see what kind of trade in value she might have."

No, kidding.....but they both knew one another and so the joke was on everyone standing around.

-Ron

r_zerr

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:55 am

I had one and sold it and regretted the decision. If you are ordering direct from Les Baer then make sure you have decided on what type of scope mount you want. 

If you are fine with a frame mount then go with the Champions Choice. 

If you have a mind to explore options also consider Rock River their guns look beautiful.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba Blaster Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:51 am

I'm glad you mentioned Rock River, Rich Tullo

Are Rock River 1911's any good ?

Let the bashing begin. Smile

Bubba Blaster

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:57 am

I have four wad guns. My Rock River Is the most accurate. It has never given me an alibi. If you can get a better wad gun, I'd like to know where.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:01 am

I'm currently building a from scratch Rock River 45 wadgun. From what I was told it is early frame/slide. Dimensions are much different than Caspian/JEM/SA; had to fit parts different than typical.
When all is said and done will be outstanding pistol. I have never indpected a new pistol built by them.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:34 pm

messenger wrote:I have four wad guns. My Rock River Is the most accurate. It has never given me an alibi. If you can get a better wad gun, I'd like to know where.

Bill
John Eulette, KC Crawford, or David Sams and that is about it. 
Be prepared to spend $1000 or more than RRA  if you are starting from the ground up if you want all the features a Baer or RRA provides for the price. 

+300 for a Caspian frame, forged will be more. 
+/- 350 for a Caspian slide (the features add up)
+/- 100 for upper parts 
+/- 400 for lower parts (pins, hammers, ect you will be surprised how it adds up and you really want premium parts, C&S, EGW, ect....)
+/- for 250 for a Kart Barrel and Bushing 
+/_ 70 for magazines
+/- 50 grips 

Finishing +/-300

Labor +/- 1500

Total before sights and or scope $3300 to $3500

So yeah Baer or RRA is a good deal if you need a good gun with good parts and want to save some $. 

The one thing I found with the Baer is was starting to loosen up. It still held about 3 inches up from the 1 5/8 test target but it needed to be redone after 4 years and about 15,000 rounds. My Guess the above smiths will make a gun that will last 50,000 rounds not a problem before the need for an update so in the long run they are better and will back up their product better. 

The only alternative is to get a wad gun from a local shooter and shot it, see if it prints and works for you. It may look horrendous but that does not matter if its solid, I sometimes think masters take delight in beating up their guns . 

Look at the slide stop hole, the lock up, the bushing, the breach face, the barrel for pitting, and function test. Chances are for about $1000 you can get a wadgun that will take you to the master level. 

Rich Tullo
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:43 pm

at the risk of Jinxing the deal I am working on......

If you could get an older LB with frame mount and dot, for about $300 more than a new RO, would you?

A few thoughts.
Yes, I need to learn things for myself.   I never have followed the crowd.
This is my first BE .45, so it can still be sent to a gunsmith for work later when I improve (same as an RO could).
Since the highly-skilled gunsmiths on this site, whom I greatly respect, mostly see guns with problems, is it possible the majority of the others are good/OK - or am I just trying to rationalize my decision?
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:55 pm

Aprilian wrote:at the risk of Jinxing the deal I am working on......

If you could get an older LB with frame mount and dot, for about $300 more than a new RO, would you?

A few thoughts.
This is my first BE .45, so it can still be sent to a gunsmith for work later when I improve (same as an RO could).
Since the highly-skilled gunsmiths on this site, whom I greatly respect, mostly see guns with problems, is it possible the majority of the others are good/OK - or am I just trying to rationalize my decision?
Rebarrel right away

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightfoot Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:11 pm

Aprilian wrote:at the risk of Jinxing the deal I am working on......

A few thoughts.

I would without hesitation.  I shoot one that I got a good deal on.  It shoots really well.  If/when I need a built gun, I'll gladly talk to one of the smiths mentioned in this thread.  I'll shoot the Baer while waiting for the new gun to be built.
Lightfoot
Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Warhorse Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:50 pm

My Les Baer wad gun came in. 

Very, very tight. It really likes 4.6gr Bullseye with a Zero brand 185 JHP.

I will shoot this combo in a indoor 50' match tonight.

Warhorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightfoot Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:30 pm

That's pretty hot for short line. Try 3.3-3.7 at 50' and 25 yds. Mine eats it up. Nice and soft.
Lightfoot
Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Warhorse Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:36 pm

Lightfoot wrote:That's pretty hot for short line.  Try 3.3-3.7 at 50' and 25 yds.  Mine eats it up.  Nice and soft.  
It needs this "hot" load to break it in, anything lighter at this point is not reliable yet.

Warhorse

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:34 am

JHPs need the extra powder. Awful nice pistol to blow up because a bullet didn't make it down the barrel. Just saying that he should save the light loads for lead bullets.

LenV
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:02 pm

4.5 bE and a zero 185 fmj-hp is a x ring load in many match grade guns
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down