Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problems with Sellier&Bellot .22lr Standard?

4 posters

Go down

Problems with Sellier&Bellot .22lr Standard? Empty Problems with Sellier&Bellot .22lr Standard?

Post by Slartybartfast Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:40 am

Has anyone else experienced problems with Sellier&Bellot .22lr Standard?

I shot several boxes without incident through my SW22. Then, the last two boxes have been nothing but trouble.

First rounds from the two boxes were fired through a Unique DES without trouble, and shot superbly (130/150). Then in my SW22 I experienced failures to eject, stove pipes, and a lot of light strikes.

The light strikes and stove pipes continued with the next box. The light strikes seem to occur because the bolt isn't seating fully forward.

A couple of times, there were failure to feeds with a chunk of the bullet left behind in the mag taken off by the bolt.

Ten rounds of ammo donated from the shooter next to me fired flawlessly. Followed by more problems with the S&B.

The S&B seems to be rather heavily coated with wax and others at my club have commented they don't like that. The shooter who donated the other ammo to me said he thinks the S&B are actually slightly larger than other ammo.

Now, I love the price and availability of this ammo and until now loved the performance. The answer I suppose is obvious, use different ammo.

I'll be picking up some CCI SV if they have any in stock at another range/store nearby.

But would just like to hear peoples thoughts on the S&B ammo and what might have caused the change.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Problems with Sellier&Bellot .22lr Standard? Empty Re: Problems with Sellier&Bellot .22lr Standard?

Post by s1120 Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:55 am

"The S&B seems to be rather heavily coated with wax and others at my club have commented they don't like that. The shooter who donated the other ammo to me said he thinks the S&B are actually slightly larger than other ammo"

I have never used it, but if it was in fact vary heavily coated, I would start by testing the ammo after ive wiped them down. Might still not work well, but might work well enough to practice with.

s1120

Back to top Go down

Problems with Sellier&Bellot .22lr Standard? Empty Re: Problems with Sellier&Bellot .22lr Standard?

Post by LenV Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:47 am

Save them for summer. They don't like cold weather. Wax is very temperature sensitive for how hard it gets.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:40 am

LenV wrote:Save them for summer. They don't like cold weather. Wax is very temperature sensitive for how hard it gets.

Len

Yeah. Or as one club member said, keep them for rifle shooting. Indoor range isn't too warm, but ammo has been stored indoors and stays in my case in the heated member's room when I'm at the club.

Fouling might be the issue and I've been told to use a chamber brush. Clean it and see if the ammo drops into the chamber.

Rest of the gun and the barrel seem to be plenty clean to me.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Tiedt Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:01 pm

LenV wrote:Save them for summer. They don't like cold weather. Wax is very temperature sensitive for how hard it gets.

Len

Thanks Len, I was not aware of the temperaure sensitivity issue with waxed bullets.  I use Norma TAC22 which is what
my SIG Trailside prefers.  About a month ago I started having failures to feed (8 or 9 times during slow fire... a bit of a
pain,... I was actually pleased with my target given the potential frustration level and breaking concentration to reload
with each shoot).

The ammo had been in the (back) passenger compartment of my truck during a 70 minute drive to my league in < 0'F weather.
I figured it was the ammo and improved the situation by having the heater blow on it since.

I appreciate the confirmation of my theory.

Doug

Doug Tiedt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down